• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***** Tottenham v Liverpool *****

Great performance by us, but let's not get carried away, Liverpool were missing key players at the back and in midfield and have played in midweek while we were resting and preparing. I am cautiously optimistic but also disappointed as we won't get a better chance to beat Liverpool. WHAM are another test tomorrow. Be great to stick it to WHAM whose supporters have been getting a little out their box recently.

Great performance by us, but let's not get carried away, Liverpool were missing key players at the back and in midfield and have played in midweek while we were resting and preparing. I am cautiously optimistic but also disappointed as we won't get a better chance to beat Liverpool. WHAM are another test tomorrow. Be great to stick it to WHAM whose supporters have been getting a little out their box recently.
Resting is a BIG word here that is true but so wrong in the context
Resting so when you take time off, rehabbing and recovering would be better worse to use
And we were also balancing the recent illnesses in the squad to manage match time
I’d wager that their team still cost more than ours too

I agree, there were reasons for them not being at their best that wasn't down to us playing well.

On the flip side the rest we had wasn't exactly two ideal weeks on the training ground. Before the game it was anyone's guess if we'd look stronger or weaker as a result.

They were missing key players, but had their strongest front three and full/wing backs.

In the starting lineup we were without Romero, Reguilon, Skipp, Hojbjerg and Lucas. Now, not a player there at the level of van Dijk, but important players, first choice players.

It was a great performance. Still some way to go, but another very solid step in the right direction. I'll definitely get carried away, quite happily so.

Agree, time to put West Ham back in their box. Ever since they’ve been banging on about ‘being massive’ (apparently it only takes one season of them having Europa League football for that to be the case:D) they have been pretty poor. When they get injuries their squad is shown up to be pretty weak. It’s not tomorrow though, it’s Wednesday…..

Nothing wrong with Lucas being a squad player. We need a strong squad if we are going to do anything this season. And for some games we can go back to 3-4-3 and even rest players and use Bergwijn, Lucas and Vlahovic as a three. Or even Lucas and Kane up top as a two or Kane and Vlahovic etc. And with all the midfield options it gives me hope we can manage the busy periods to come and still win games.

Lets get Vlahovic done in January if nothing else and that will improve our chances this season greatly.

If you've followed the Vlahovic situation, you'd know that his contract is not a simple one to have transferred. Fiorentina want to cash in on him big time. There are third parties - with ties to a dodgy Croatian agency - with an ownership stake in him. They all have input into when and how much Vlahovic should be transferred for - and paid. It's hardly a formula for harmony and has repeatedly put off interested suitors from the Premier League and beyond.

I'm sure Vlahovic would skip off to England in heartbeat if there weren't such complications to consider. But they're there and they matter. Not an easy lock to pick, bearing in mind he's a completely free agent in 2023.

If you've followed the Vlahovic situation, you'd know that his contract is not a simple one to have transferred. Fiorentina want to cash in on him big time. There are third parties - with ties to a dodgy Croatian agency - with an ownership stake in him. They all have input into when and how much Vlahovic should be transferred for - and paid. It's hardly a formula for harmony and has repeatedly put off interested suitors from the Premier League and beyond.

I'm sure Vlahovic would skip off to England in heartbeat if there weren't such complications to consider. But they're there and they matter. Not an easy lock to pick, bearing in mind he's a completely free agent in 2023.
That’s why having someone like Paratici helps as he has done those deals in Italy before

This was such an important game. We should have won. But the effect on the club is huge. Dele and Winks rediscovering confidence. Validation of Conte. Players looking more secure, and knowing what they need to do. Proving Sessengon is what many thought, provided he's given a clear job. The two areas we were lacking under Conte was the midfield and wing-backs. In just one game we potentially found solutions. Okay it is just one game, with pool missing players and not as fresh. Hopefully, we can build some momentum now.

I thought the challenge was a Pen myself, the point was it was not the calamitous clear mistake Shearer made it out to be. When the ball is nowhere near the follow-through, are these instances always given as fouls? For example, Kane was blocked from closing down the ball when trying to press the keeper. No foul. The keeper had no intention of taking out the forward. The forward was also running toward the keeper. It was a foul but isn't cut and dry as the ball was nowhere near the incident.

Losing just one first team player at the back shouldn’t matter that much (remember we were also missing a first choice CB in Romero). Liverpool and us also both had second choice midfield’s out there. Both teams had their full compliment of attackers. We were missing one of our first choice wing backs (though I think our second choice is a better player anyway) while Liverpool had both of theirs.

A couple of points I haven't seen mentioned

1) Robertson had a cut above his eye, presumably sustained when he stooped to head in his goal and Royale kicked his head... hence Robertson absolutely smashing him and getting a deserved red for that deliberate retaliation
2) Most managers will fear the mighty wingbacks Trent and Robertson, but Conte clearly realised that leaves the centre backs alone versus Kane and Son, with a debutant helping to shield them, so he gambled we would be able to get in behind if we allowed Pool to push forwards. This worked perfectly, chapeau Conte.

This will be the difference between Conte and many of our previous managers.... A draw at home to Liverpool isn't a good result for a manager like Conte. Anything other than a win against anyone isn't a good result for a manager like Conte. We now need those at the top of the club to have the same desire and belief that Spurs should be 'winning' instead of just 'competing'. Give this man an appropriate transfer budget and special things really could happen at our football club.

All of this!

A couple of points I haven't seen mentioned

1) Robertson had a cut above his eye, presumably sustained when he stooped to head in his goal and Royale kicked his head... hence Robertson absolutely smashing him and getting a deserved red for that deliberate retaliation
2) Most managers will fear the mighty wingbacks Trent and Robertson, but Conte clearly realised that leaves the centre backs alone versus Kane and Son, with a debutant helping to shield them, so he gambled we would be able to get in behind if we allowed Pool to push forwards. This worked perfectly, chapeau Conte.

Agreed

This was such an important game. We should have won. But the effect on the club is huge. Dele and Winks rediscovering confidence. Validation of Conte. Players looking more secure, and knowing what they need to do. Proving Sessengon is what many thought, provided he's given a clear job. The two areas we were lacking under Conte was the midfield and wing-backs. In just one game we potentially found solutions. Okay it is just one game, with pool missing players and not as fresh. Hopefully, we can build some momentum now.

WOOF!!!

Liverpool might have been missing a player or two but we were equally handicapped missing the likes of Hojbjerg and maybe with Skipp a little low on power plus the effects of a long layoff from actually playing a game and simply weren't fully match sharp. Yeah, we were frisky but just not there yet in terms of getting our passes properly delivered in the heat of battle or being cool and clinical in finishing those many chances.

The upside is, we made those chances in the first place. We didn't sit back and let Liverpool smother us. There was some real coolness and composure playing out from the back under considerable pressure. And we can get even better in games to come.

Back