• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***** Tottenham v Liverpool *****

Apparently you can catch the ball with two hands, as long as one other person touches the ball before it’s a goal.
No... that would be deliberate handball. Accidental handballs are only given if it is the scorer or direct assister. Lloris diving in and punching it away started a new phase of play.

Is Klopps rant today any better than poch against Burnley?
He is basically suggesting that the ref has given decisions against Liverpool due to a personal issue between the two of them.... basically questioning the referee's integrity. That should be a fine and a touchline ban. Bet Klopp gets neither.

He is basically suggesting that the ref has given decisions against Liverpool due to a personal issue between the two of them.... basically questioning the referee's integrity. That should be a fine and a touchline ban. Bet Klopp gets neither.

But he's a lovable fella we all likes his quips and happy attitude when his side wins.

Wasn't that long ago that Tierney astoundingly refused to send off Milner (I think) against Emirates Marketing Project for a blatant foul when he was already on a yellow.
I think that was also the game where Foden was not awarded a penalty because, despite being fouled in the box, he tried to stay on his feet.

The actions of a man out of his depth rather than a vendetta holder.

Conte seems distraught we drew and didn’t take all 3 points. I like this
This will be the difference between Conte and many of our previous managers.... A draw at home to Liverpool isn't a good result for a manager like Conte. Anything other than a win against anyone isn't a good result for a manager like Conte. We now need those at the top of the club to have the same desire and belief that Spurs should be 'winning' instead of just 'competing'. Give this man an appropriate transfer budget and special things really could happen at our football club.

Why do think it means brick? I’ve never heard anyone give a good explanation / justification!

It’s obviously far from a perfect measure of quality of chances, but it’s better than nothing. E.g. in this game Liverpool had more possession, more shots, and more shots on target - anyone who didn’t watch the game might think they were the better team, without seeing the xG stat. And anyone who did watch and thought Liverpool were the better team might at least be given some food for thought by seeing the xG.
It is probably the best statistical measure that there is at present in measuring the likely outcome of a football match. 'What was the quality level of the chances that the two teams created'. Of course it doesn't necessarily cater for a team having an elite centre forward or a keeper and instead instead assumes all finishers/stoppers are created equal at the mean level but still tells you which team's chances had the highest likelihood of becoming goals. The one place it does fall down though is that I think an actual shot needs to occur for any XG to register so, for exmaple, a move where a team has a two on one and a man free in the middle of the penalty area but the player plays a poor pass that the keeper comes and claims would count as zero XG when in actual fact those situations may actually result in a goal 3 out of 10 (or whatever) times.

it’s not a challenge for the ball. The keepers momentum carries him into the player. The keeper is not trying to take the man out. As I said it probably was a pen, but certainly wasn’t nailed on. Otherwise any follow through where you run into someone could be deemed a foul.
a follow through where you run into someone without getting any of the ball IS a foul mate.

Skipp in for Ndombele and we lose the ability to have a player being able to put in a single pass assist.
Moura for Royal and we lose a lot of defensive stability (admittedly for the potential of more attacking threat).
It’s all trade offs but I think Skipp, Winks and Dele can all slip a though ball in, especially if it is something the front two are actively looking for.
I’d tend to agree in the main with Moura at rwb, but I thought Royal got done quite easily. In general that right hand side just seemed more vulnerable but maybe more games / coaching in the roles and lower level opposition will increase my faith.

Out of interest, if we stick with this formation, do you see these 3 as first choice and if so where would Skipp, Hojbjerg and Lo Celso fit in as backups? Could you see Moura being a sub for Son in this shape?

Isn’t that what shots / on target / off target and key chances are for?
No.... An on target shot from 35 yards is extremely unlikely to result in a goal. A header from a player being challenged 12 yards out is also extremely unlikely to be a goal. Quality of chances tends to tell you more about a game than just shots on/off target.

It’s all trade offs but I think Skipp, Winks and Dele can all slip a though ball in, especially if it is something the front two are actively looking for.
I’d tend to agree in the main with Moura at rwb, but I thought Royal got done quite easily. In general that right hand side just seemed more vulnerable but maybe more games / coaching in the roles and lower level opposition will increase my faith.

Out of interest, if we stick with this formation, do you see these 3 as first choice and if so where would Skipp, Hojbjerg and Lo Celso fit in as backups? Could you see Moura being a sub for Son in this shape?
In this formation Winks is playing deeper so won't be in the sort of position Ndombele was in to play that pass. I disagree with you that Skipp could've played that pass unfortunately (I think eventually Skipp, Winks and Hojbjerg will be competing for a single place in Conte's team). Dele perhaps could... but even then I'm not sure that is his forte really, Dele isn't really a great passer of the ball, I think his outstanding attribute is his ability to get himself into space beyond, or alongside, the forwards.

A Christian Eriksen type player would be the absolute ideal player to have in the Ndombele position yesterday... as he is a player that was always prepared to put in the work rate and do the running to ensure that we didn't get numerical overloads against us when out of possession, but also having incredible ability on the ball to make key passes while we were in possession.

Royale was up against Mane... probably the best wide forward in the league, as well a having one of the league's best full backs in Robertson playing incredibly high up the pitch to try to create an overload. I dread to think how Moura would've defended against that.

Couldn't go today as have to isolate until I get result of PCR test, sweating on result for Wednesday and even Boxing Day.
Good luck with PCR test mate. Yesterday's gate (45k) was at least 15k less than would normally be expected for a Liverpool home game, so clearly loads more also either isolating or choosing to stay away from events like this.

Given the speed at which Omicron is spreading, reckon there's bound to be big surge of cases in the next few days so won't be in the least surprised if more of our upcoming holiday fixtures get postponed.

When I saw our midfield yesterday I was sure we’d be smashed. Delighted to be wrong. So good to see Dele and Winks putting in a performance too.
I was worried when I saw our midfield.... but then I saw Liverpool's midfield and thought we should actually really have the edge in that department.

Here's a telling line from a Liverpool fan write-up:

"Tottenham looked like what they haven’t since January 2019 in this league – a top four side. Liverpool could hurt them and could panic them but Spurs found a way to keep Liverpool just unable to calibrate. They found bits of variance and as they came under pressure Liverpool began to fray a bit at the edges."

a follow through where you run into someone without getting any of the ball IS a foul mate.

I thought the challenge was a Pen myself, the point was it was not the calamitous clear mistake Shearer made it out to be. When the ball is nowhere near the follow-through, are these instances always given as fouls? For example, Kane was blocked from closing down the ball when trying to press the keeper. No foul. The keeper had no intention of taking out the forward. The forward was also running toward the keeper. It was a foul but isn't cut and dry as the ball was nowhere near the incident.

Here's a telling line from a Liverpool fan write-up:

"Tottenham looked like what they haven’t since January 2019 in this league – a top four side. Liverpool could hurt them and could panic them but Spurs found a way to keep Liverpool just unable to calibrate. They found bits of variance and as they came under pressure Liverpool began to fray a bit at the edges."

Fairly happy with all the focus being on the ref, fouls VAR and so on.

Masks the fact that we went toe to toe with Liverpool and looked the most likely winner. Let us move ahead slightly quietly for a bit longer. People may catch on to this being a hard fought point for Liverpool at some point.

Fairly happy with all the focus being on the ref, fouls VAR and so on.

Masks the fact that we went toe to toe with Liverpool and looked the most likely winner. Let us move ahead slightly quietly for a bit longer. People may catch on to this being a hard fought point for Liverpool at some point.

And i think Klopp will be the same.
Distract from their back line is a mess without vvd and that salah never got a kick against a 21 year old.

Back