• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***** Tottenham v Brentford *****

Thought that was very good. Somewhat lucky break to go ahead without creating much up to that point, but we were the better team at 0-0 too.

Difficult to judge Brentford on the night, did they have a poor game or did we make them play worse. Probably a bit of both, but I definitely expected that to be harder.

For further up the pitch most of the game, more Leeds second half, less Leeds first half.

We're actually pressing like a unit again. Not peak Pochettino pressing, but we don't need to do that. But as a unit, solid, consistent, smart. A unit of 11 players. Very good to see.

Limited the supply and quality of supply to Toney very well. Were up for it physically and seemed full of energy. No doubt helped by not playing the Burnley game, but still. We know all too well how we could have more made that an advantage in the past.
Something interesting I have noticed with our press is that we are setting a trap with it…. We leave player on for the keeper to pass to and then move towards the player with the ball, we leave an out ball to the opponents left full back/wing back and then as the ball is on its way to him Royal/Moura then get to him. Our other players then shut off all passing lanes which gives us a great chance of a turnover. It is very clever as takes far less energy than a full press.

Last edited:
It was a difficult game to call, I expected a far more pacy game from Brentford with lots of direct play, whether it was the way we shut them and space down or they were below par is hard to say. I have liked what I've seen of them and they did not look like the team I saw against Woolwich, Liverpool and West Ham but their recent form is poor so it might be a confidence thing.

Got home around 4.00 this morning after the trains from Euston were all stopped by an "incident" on the line near Harrow. Worth the aggravation though, as others have said it was a much more energetic performance. That said, can the players put that much energy in twice a week? Mora was knackered after about 60 minutes.

I thought we defended set pieces well last night considering the height advantage they had over us. I also liked they way we played short corners as I didnt think we had much chance winning many headers from dead ball situations particularly as Mr Moss was happy to let their players hang on to ours, even for the first goal Sanchez has a player hanging round his neck and shoulders making impossible to get off the ground. In the second half we had a great position to see the long throw bloke was over the line when taking his throws, Conte was going mental.

I thought we defended set pieces well last night considering the height advantage they had over us. I also liked they way we played short corners as I didnt think we had much chance winning many headers from dead ball situations particularly as Mr Moss was happy to let their players hang on to ours, even for the first goal Sanchez has a player hanging round his neck and shoulders making impossible to get off the ground. In the second half we had a great position to see the long throw bloke was over the line when taking his throws, Conte was going mental.
I saw that on the telly too. Would VAR pick up on that sort of thing if they’d scored? I was wondering that, anyway. Surely it would.

Something interesting I have noticed with our press is that we are setting a trap with it…. We leave player on for the keeper to pass to and then move towards the player with the ball, we leave an out ball to the opponents left full back/wing back and then as the ball is on its way to him Romero gets to him. Our other players then shut off all passing lanes which gives us a great chance of a turnover. It is very clever as takes far less energy than a full press.

Absolutely. I think we can do the smothering high press too, but Conte seems to want flexibility. Happy to press real high, happy to "trap press", happy to sit deeper. A time and a place for everything, but quality and entire team doing the work regardless.

If we can get consistent good pressing it will be the first time in years we do so. Perhaps some of it is new manager enthusiasm right now, but looks really impressive at the moment. Getting that drilled in over a period of weeks while also improving our buildup play.

Will be interesting to see how that changes against different opponents. Brentford do play out from the back quite a bit, but they don't have true top quality players doing that, but also do have a top quality target man and are happy to go long too.

Perhaps against them setting these traps makes more sense? Don't want to give them space and time to set up for and play good long balls to Toney, ok with them building from the back as their limitations means more turnovers and a lesser likelihood of getting played through.

Of course it can work very well against a wide range of opponents, but we seemed to do that rather consistently against them, not mixing it up as much. Probably not a coincidence.

Got home around 4.00 this morning after the trains from Euston were all stopped by an "incident" on the line near Harrow. Worth the aggravation though, as others have said it was a much more energetic performance. That said, can the players put that much energy in twice a week? Mora was knackered after about 60 minutes.
Ouch. This incident messed me up too, I was there around 11 and ran out of patience and ended up getting a taxi back to MK which cost £115!

Ouch. This incident messed me up too, I was there around 11 and ran out of patience and ended up getting a taxi back to MK which cost £115!

And there was I fuming because my trains on the journey to the game were totally f*cked up and I arrived around 7.10pm instead of 6.30pm. Perspective.
Fair play to you both.

A train every 15 minutes or so from NUM didn't really help either after the game, thought it was meant to be 6-8 an hour not 3 and a bit

The platform was absolutely rammed but managed to squeeze on one then was delayed by over an hour on the way back to Essex out of Liverpool Street due to a broken down train about 4 hours previously

Got home around 4.00 this morning after trains...
The platform was absolutely rammed ...then was delayed by over an hour
...ran out of patience and ended up getting a taxi back to MK which cost £115!

This is why it is best to stay home in the warm with my friends Mr Lager and Mr Internet. F*** that for a game of soldiers.

If I had to sit on a rammed train until 4AM I would want roughly £10k compensation to make it worthwhile.

in the warm with my friends Mr Lager and Mr Internet. Yes, and there is also Mr Weed as well if you are inclined, but there is something about being there, "in the fortress" which can be very special. I enjoy the fact that for a couple of hours I join the tribe of fellow fans, I enjoy bellowing COYS as loud as I can, I enjoy the mayhem when we score. And when we beat a decent team, a top team, then life is sweet indeed. Think Ziege freekick or Danny Rose goal, or Van Der Vart or Harry Kane from an impossible position. Special....

And just to keep it optimistically relevant, even Ndombele's saucy flick at Bramall Lane.

Not really a "top team" but, at the time, a needed win and a needed personal performance.

Back