• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Woolwich Wanderers OMT ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just checked my video recording frame by frame which shows that Kane was also in an offside position in all the frames immediately before the one BT used.

But it's irrelevant because the rules (below) say the foul takes precedence until the moment he touches the ball.

Wonder whether Shearer bothered to read the rules?

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a teammate is only penalised for committing an offside offence if, in the opinion of the referee, they become involved in active play by:

Interfering with play
"playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate"[1]

Shearer said he asked the referees group to confirm as they said it should have been given off side

They clearly don’t know and are happy after the event to just wing it

Just checked my video recording frame by frame which shows that Kane was also in an offside position in all the frames immediately before the one BT used.

But it's irrelevant because the rules (below) say the foul takes precedence until the moment he touches the ball.

Wonder whether Shearer bothered to read the rules?

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a teammate is only penalised for committing an offside offence if, in the opinion of the referee, they become involved in active play by:

Interfering with play
"playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate"[1]

As I said the BT picture showed the ball had clearly moved at a yard, it was so obvious it made me suspicious.

A few thoughts after the game:

1. I can understand why we are using a back 3 currently given the number of midfielders injured, but this puts too much pressure on Eriksen to perform and we have 1 less attacking option than we need. So isn't really working.
2. We have a 3-week break coming up. Can the full backs use the break to practice crossing the ball and also Eriksen for taking corners?
3. At last a penalty in the Premier League at Wembley! it has only taken 33 games to get a penalty given. Ok many officials would have given it offside but it just makes up for all the stonewall pens not given in other games.
4. While it was fun to see Rose in midfield doing his poor man's Dembele impression and beating 2 players before losing the ball or passing it out of play, never again please Poch
5. How bad was Anthony Taylor on Saturday. It seemed after giving us the pen he spent the rest of the match giving Arsenal fouls across the pitch to break up any rhythm we might have gained after scoring. The Arsenal pen was just not a pen.
6. Historically England captains usually get good support from refs when playing League football. I am thinking here of Bryan Robson and Alan Shearer in particular. It seems the complete opposite for Harry Kane. After being constantly fouled by Tarkowski at Burnley, Rudiger and Luiz at Chelsea he was again pushed and pulled all over the place by the Arsenal defence without any action taken by the ref.
7. Has Lucas Moura done something to upset Poch? He just can't get on the field at present.
8. They say that players always improve in people's minds when not playing but we are really missing Dier and Dele.
9. Hoping that the comeback to draw is a turning point as it almost felt like a win walking away from the stadium.

Last edited:
Don't the refs meet up every Monday to run through all the games they've reffed on the Saturday/Sunday... I have noticed since Oct/Nov how much Kane and Son particular have been given absolutely nothing from the majority of refs,I'm not saying every decision has been wrong,but even the 60/40 decisions are going against them. So at these meetings they must go through players that the refs think push the boundaries,and Kane and Son must come up in conversation,and ever since begining of the season they've had absolutely been given nothing,even Taylor on Saturday,what game was he reffing,it seems now refs use their own personnal opinion of the player to decide if its a foul or not and not by the rules of the game. How taylor gave the goons that penalty and what the reasons were I would like to know....would he have given that if it was Son who went down,dont think so.

Ive long been convinced that referees need to be held up post game to scrutiny.

Perhaps not right after the game, while passions run high - maybe a Monday press conference or something where they can each be questioned on why decisions were made etc.

I think the benefit is two fold
1) Seemingly unfair decisions actually were perfectly valid, and "heres why..." - everyone gets greater understanding.
2) Refs will be held to account more. Now they are virtually untouchable and I think they know it, if they were held to standard in public I think they would do more to make sure they performed well.

With modern technology uHD 4k high speed cameras either Eriksen has a foot like super hero or there's frames missing.
And if that's the tec VAR is reliant then it's not fit for purpose.
Can only assume the BT frame you are referring to is not the one I'm seeing, which looks to be still within inches of Eriksen's boot. Maybe the one you are looking at is the frame following that which does indeed show the ball a yard from his foot.

That front four have played no more than a handful of games together this season. I cant instantly recall these ''meh'' games they had but I do recall the last time they all played they tore man utd a new one.

They did indeed tear Man utd a new one - apart from their shooting boots of course, they also played away at Arsenal (meh performance), at home vs Chelsea in LC (meh performance). We've also had games whereby 3 out of the 4 have played like on Saturday and we've still been meh. We were only playing with 2 of these fab four a few weeks ago and our performances were meh, we now have 3 out of 4 and our performances are still meh. Having or not having the 'fab four' is not in itself an explanation. We have recently had 10 days off and our performances have gotten WORSE and at a time of the year when we usually start to get MUCH BETTER.

It was makeshift from the start. Wanyama has completed probably no more than half a dozen games in 18 months and zero next to Sissoko.

It was as makeshift as any CM we've had this season tbh. We gave up the same opportnities we have when we've had Dier, Winks, Sissoko or any other combination. CM is indeed causing us many issues, and has done since mid-April if we're being honest.

You're saying we've looked poor at times this season but your initial point was that we're cooked physically as of now. So did this happen yesterday or are you now saying this happened earlier in the season?

You're trying to tell us all that tactically we've been hopeless for sometime and point to mythical games when we've had our best team out and apparently been poor. And as of yesterday we became physically spent based on a display watching a low confidence makeshift team?

Saturday was a culmination of what has been happening for months: not playing very well save for a few key games, but also not being very solid in the middle and letting the opposition have opportunities which in previous seasons we wouldn't have. Our physical ability to hang in there is disappearing - we look drained, even though recently we had a 10 day break. Our tactical variety is disappearing - resorting to long-ball to Kane/Llorente relatively early in the game compared to say the last 10/15 mins. This is because if you block us in the centre we are forced into hoof-ball and nullified - again an issue caused by our issues with our cm options. We barely get in behind defences now. We also lack pace compared to our top 6 rivals. As i say, i think we've been found out tactically and we are spent physically.

Not buying it and we can revisit this in the coming games and we'll see how he we do both tactically and physically WHEN we have something at least close to our best side out.

Stop! Hammer time. I hope i am wrong and you are right. The next week will give us big clues either way...regardless, COYS

So was the ref as bad with the benefit of tv and replays, as he appeared to be in the flesh at the game yesterday?

Just wondering as reading the reports on the BBC it seems like they are saying we got the benefit from his decisions? I can’t quite wrap my head around that but I’ve not seen any tv footage yet.
The only decision we got the benefit on was one that was a mistake by the linesman not the ref (failing to flag Kane for offside before the penalty). Other than that Arsenal clearly got the better end of the decisions. Xhaka avoided a yellow for his knee high tackle from behind on Kane early on (that even have been a straight red) and then again avoided one later on in the first half for pulling back Eriksen. The decision for their penalty was scandalous. The red card for Torreira was the right decision but a very easy one to make with time just about up.

Strange NLd....I cant remember ever seeing us so flat in the fixture....even when they were much better than us in the 90s/early 00s we generally out fought them. Suspect this is down entirely to physical condition as you cant question the desire of a Poch team.

Another huge defensive mistake leads to a goal...Sanchez this time....poor decision to play the ball when he was the last man and made worse by poor technique. Thats 3 goals in a week all down to unenforced defensive errors.

Arsenal managed the game well at 1-0; they were happy for us to have lots of the ball without ever really threatening. However they lacked quality to put us under enough pressure to force a second goal.

Our lack of control in midfield is striking; the strength of Poch Spurs teams has been the ability to strangle a game in midfield usually dembele or a once-fit wanyama. dier is probably our best option when fit but clearly this is a huge area for us in the transfer window.
I don't completely agree with you here.

I thought that overall we were no worse than Arsenal in the game and might even have slightly had the better of it. Arsenal's goal was against the run of play really and came from a terrible mistake by Sanchez (almost immediately after we had a decent chance where Kane should've taken a shot across the keeper with his right foot).

Arsenal played very deep and defensive and got a lot of players behind the ball. Their fortunate goal helped them here really as they were able to stay very deep, suck us forward and then try to hit us on the counter.

Even though Arsenal had so many men behind the ball I thought we got into a few decent positions but were let down by some poor balls/decision making, I would say primarily by Trippier - who I just don't think is anywhere near good enough to play for a team at our level (he is West Ham sort of level IMO).

I thought that Arsenal only really looked dangerous when they got Iwobe running at Trippier (but then again most teams are able to look dangerous when running at Trippier).

We didn't have a lack of control in midfield at all. We had 60% of the ball and won lots of posession from Arsenal. I think even if we'd had a 100% Dembele at his peak in that game we still would've struggled in an attacking sense as Pochettino had created a problem for us with our shape in relation to Arsenal's slightly changed team. I thought the problem was that we played with 3 centre halves, all playing as defensive players, against a team with only one up front (and even him dropping deep a lot of the time). This meant that we didn't have good numbers in attacking positions and made it easy for the 10 Arsenal players behind the ball to shut off both our players and the space. Perhaps Arsenal surprised Pochettino by playing so defensively, but I would've liked to have seen him counter that with a shape change with the personal he had selected, maybe by changing to a 4-4-2, moving Vertonghen to left back and having Rose and Sissoko on the left and right of a diamond midfield with Wanyama holding and Eriksen at the tip.

Conversely to some I thought Saturday's performance was better than the one against Burnley and Chelsea. I do think we got a bit disjointed in the second half after the substitutions but in the first half I thought we played OK, we were just hampered by having 4 (and perhaps even 5 if you count Sissoko) out and out defensive players in the centre of the pitch when 4 would've been ample and we probably could even have got away with having 3 in that game due to Arsenal's formation and tactics.

Has the rule changed then? I thought the rule was when the ball is played if you’re in an offside position then you’re offside, which Kane was when Eriksen kicked the ball.
There is a difference between being offside and being in a penalizable offside position. Being offside is not a foul in itself. It's only when you are actively involved it becomes penalizable.
The tweet about the foul taking place before Kane gets to the ball is gonad*s. The reason the penalty was awarded, is simply because the assistant referee didn't spot the offside.

Last edited:
With modern technology uHD 4k high speed cameras either Eriksen has a foot like super hero or there's frames missing.
And if that's the tec VAR is reliant then it's not fit for purpose.
4k doesn't mean high speed camera shutter, it's just a better resolution. It's still recorded at 30 frames per second.

There is a difference between being offside and boeing in a penalizable offside. Being offside is not a foul in itself. It's only when you are actively involved it becomes penalizable.
The tweet about the foul taking place before Kane gets to the ball is gonad*s. The reason the penalty was awarded, is simply because the assistant referee didn't spot the offside.
100% this, had the Lino seen Kane was marginally off he would have put his flag up straight away like he did in the first half. He just missed it and as it turned out there is this ruling which makes his lack of flag probably correct by coincidence.

Some light relief...

index.php

Last edited:
4k doesn't mean high speed camera shutter, it's just a better resolution. It's still recorded at 30 frames per second.
And the ball isn't moving that fast that the camera only catches it yard after its kicked, which from the BT after show images is what it looked like. 30 fps is more than enough to capture that.
There was clear daylight between the ball and the ground in the image they used. That is not the rule, as I know you know.
Latterly in that show they even stopped showing Eriksen taking the free kick. It was just a line with Harry in front of it with no reference to when the ball was played.
It was the same in iirc the Chelsea cup game. Worrying if VAR uses the same technique. Draw a line when player is offside and say 'there you go'.

How was the goons for everyone at work today? Me, to a man ''Spurs were so lucky and The Anal were robbed'' blah blah blah

Quickly put right by pointing out xhakas horror tackle after 12 mins that should have put them down to ten men.

Pointing out that they had just 39% possession but apparently they sooo clearly deserved to win. lol

Pointing out that mustafi was offside for their opening goal at the emirates last season.

Pointing out that Bogieyang dived and iwobi encroached.

Whinging goons silenced!

Back