• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Tottenham Hotspur vs Qarabag FK OMT****

We were very fortunate to be in that Final. Somehow, we managed to avoid any big teams right until the Final. And it was Eriksen who single handedly rescued us against Sheff Utd in the semi final. It might have mentally affected Eriksen so much that he has never looked like the same player since then !

Sorry but what? Being the main man/saviour has mentally affected him?

Of course we don't run riot every weekend - the level of the PL is far, far higher than that of all but a handful of teams in the ITV4 Cup.

That's precisely why it's so damn boring - the **** teams are **** and the (few) good teams don't care enough to make it interesting. Put teams like Spurs in at the first/second knockout stage and you'd have a decent competition, otherwise it's like us joining the FA Cup at the Southern Combined League stage - there's a good reason why the organisers avoid that.

All three teams in our group are more than capable of giving us a game. I think Monaco will top it if they don't put out a B-side.

There's a whole lot of things wrong with the European cups, but having to play sides from less fashionable leagues isn't really one. That's really one of the main points about it. The number of teams is a problem. There used to be 30+ nations in UEFA and the lowest ranked ones were allowed one entry in each cup. You had 32 teams in the European cup and the Cup winner's cup and a few more in the UEFA, but since 1990 the number of nations has grown to 54. Everyone except 4 countries have at least 4 entries. Both cups need a restructuring. Starting by cutting one entry from every league.

All three teams in our group are more than capable of giving us a game. I think Monaco will top it if they don't put out a B-side.

There's a whole lot of things wrong with the European cups, but having to play sides from less fashionable leagues isn't really one. That's really one of the main points about it. The number of teams is a problem. There used to be 30+ nations in UEFA and the lowest ranked ones were allowed one entry in each cup. You had 32 teams in the European cup and the Cup winner's cup and a few more in the UEFA, but since 1990 the number of nations has grown to 54. Everyone except 4 countries have at least 4 entries. Both cups need a restructuring. Starting by cutting one entry from every league.
Reducing the number of teams is a start - that in itself would reduce the number of "unfashionable" teams we need to play before we get to the good bits.

I still think the early rounds need seeding and byes. If UEFA insist on having this many teams, then just let teams like ours (24th ranked in UEFA, BTW) join in the second knockout round. That way, just like the FA Cup, if a little team does really well their reward is to play us. If they're not doing well, let's not waste our time and let teams like ours concentrate on the PL.

Reducing the number of teams is a start - that in itself would reduce the number of "unfashionable" teams we need to play before we get to the good bits.

I still think the early rounds need seeding and byes. If UEFA insist on having this many teams, then just let teams like ours (24th ranked in UEFA, BTW) join in the second knockout round. That way, just like the FA Cup, if a little team does really well their reward is to play us. If they're not doing well, let's not waste our time and let teams like ours concentrate on the PL.

Right now their reward is making the group stage and playing us. The qualifying rounds basically replace the old intertoto. Some of these smaller ex-Soviet countries have some very wealthy people living in them. One of their hobbies is to import lots of Brazilians to play football.

Lloris is a relative elder statesman in the Tottenham set-up, with Mauricio Pochettino’s side boasting an average age of 24 in Sunday’s 1-0 victory over Sunderland, but he believes the players around him have benefited from plenty of first-team football at a young age and again said he is pleased to be a part of the squad.

“We know we have a young team but I think they all played last season,” said Lloris.

“We know what is expected from the manager and what we have to do. We need to be 100 per cent focused for Tottenham.

“I am happy with Tottenham. I already replied to that type of question. The only thing I can say is I am happy with Tottenham and will do my best to get the best results possible.

“I do not talk about my future or my past, I am just focused on the game tomorrow and the Premier League as well. There are a lot of competitions for me to play. I am happy to be at Tottenham and their captain.”

Spurs remain in the Europa League, having failed to break into the Premier League’s top four last season, and start their Group J campaign with the visit of Azerbaijan champions Qarabag on Thursday night.

And, even though Lloris is not desperate for Champions League football, the France international wants to see more from the team in continental competition this year with the club having not made the quarter-finals since 2013.

“I think European competition is always important when you are a player,” he said.

“Each game is important and we know tomorrow we need a first win because the next two games are away against very good teams in Anderlecht and Monaco.

“We expect a tough game because European competition is always hard so we need to be focused and have the mentality of winning.

“I expect more from Tottenham and I expect more from me as well. We need to go as far as possible in the competition.

“We know it is a trophy to get and you play only to win. There is also a possibility to get to the Champions League if you go to the final and win the final. It is so far away that we are focused on the group stage and the target is to finish first.”

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/happy-lloris-demands-spurs-fight-for-el-success

Right now their reward is making the group stage and playing us. The qualifying rounds basically replace the old intertoto. Some of these smaller ex-Soviet countries have some very wealthy people living in them. One of their hobbies is to import lots of Brazilians to play football.
That's the right idea but it's not nearly enough. If they halved the number of groups and brought the 2nd seeded group in at the first knockout and the 1st seeded group at the second knockout it would be a better competition all round.

An even better competition would be to have one team from each country in the CL and have those who finish 2nd-4th in the PL (and equivalents in other leagues) enter the ITV4 cup.

An even better competition would be to have one team from each country in the CL and have those who finish 2nd-4th in the PL (and equivalents in other leagues) enter the ITV4 cup.

Have another competition for the cup winners and we could be onto something. I wonder why no one has ever thought of this? :confused:

I see there are still a few fans who think we are above this tournament, delusion abounds.

But but but, we've played in the top competition regularly in our history. Well, three times. (4?)

You know how embarrassing it is when West Ham fans go on about the world cup - I find our fans CL entitlement just as bad

It would be brilliant for one game in EL to see a side built entirely of academy/homegrown/English players we signed at a young age. Something like this...

---------McGee-------
Walker-Dier-CCV-Rose
----Mason--Bentaleb---
Pritch--Carroll---Andros
---------Kane--------

Bench: Glover, Onomah, Winks, Alli, Davies

The only player who doesn't seem ready to play in the EL is Cameron Carter Vickers. Maybe swap Nabil back to CB and get Onomah in there. Either way, that team is a testament to how well the club has done in developing young English talent, and it's a team I'd be immensely proud to support. And, I think they'd be decent too. I've always liked Carroll as a #10 behind Kane, and Pritchard and Andros bring a lot of trickyness and pace in wide areas.

I assume:

Vorm

Rose
Trippier
Fazio?
Wimmer?

Alli
Son
Nijie
Chadders
Lamela
Pritch?

no doubt Dier will start and possibly Arry:

-------------Vorm-------------------

Trips---Wimmer---Dier-----Rose

-----Winks---Carrol---Alli---------

---Pritch-------Son----Njie---------

No chance...

That's the right idea but it's not nearly enough. If they halved the number of groups and brought the 2nd seeded group in at the first knockout and the 1st seeded group at the second knockout it would be a better competition all round.

European football leaders have discussed the possibility of creating a third club competition.

At a meeting of the 54 UEFA members on Wednesday, they explored the merits of a new competition for teams that fail to advance from the qualifying rounds for the Champions League or second-tier Europa League.

They also considered whether the competition could be reserved for teams from smaller countries who never participate in the group stages of the existing cups.

The discussions are at an early phase, and any changes to the club competition structure in Europe would not be introduced until at least 2018, when the current round of TV rights deals expire.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan told The Associated Press that the intention of the new competition would be to allow teams to "maintain European football throughout the autumn and perhaps into the new year."

"It's a discussion around whether it's a separate third competition exclusively for smaller countries who then relinquish their place in the Europa League and/or Champions League or whether it's a competition that basically acts as a further safety net for those clubs that enter the Champions League or Europa League but are typically out by August and then (instead) they fall down into a third competition," Regan said in an interview.

Such a competition would appear more attractive to smaller clubs rather than English Premier League clubs like West Ham and Southampton, which failed to reach the Europa League group stage this season.

http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:78d3f60636b048828593c0cff77850c5

Back