• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United OMT ***

is anybody else not worried about/noticed the following in the TS era?

1)the gap between our defenders and midfielders is alarming large, teams are getting in between the lines alot example against southampton they were through on to our 18yard line on a few occasions and if they had better players should have caused us real damage and we wouldnt be talking about a 2-3 win.
2)as much as TS sais we work hard ive seen us not be on our toes in midfield and lose a lot of second balls ( again due to the gap beween midfielders and defenders being too much ) example today eriksen and co wernt running back quick enough and a lot of lose balls were picked up by utd players because our players jogged back instead of running back and wernt in position. again, against better players or on another day we should have conceeded a few goals because of such novice detail.

i fear if we dont sort our midfield positioning enough i.e creating triangles and supporting team mates quicker were due a hiding. i see teams just going through our midfield too easy at the moment.

Former World Cup referee and Sportsmail columnist Graham Poll runs the rule over a New Year’s Day blighted by the dark arts of diving in the Premier League.

Manchester United 1 Tottenham 2

58 minutes: Danny Welbeck dives to try to win a penalty, although his act of simulation does not compare with Oscar’s at Southampton. The initial view is that Vlad Chiriches makes no contact and a yellow card for Welbeck is appropriate. But replays show very slight contact and so, according to FIFA guidelines, this falls into the category of exaggeration not simulation and Webb is correct to wave play on.

VERDICT: Webb gets it right

article-0-1A609C6F00000578-905_634x379.jpg

article-0-1A609C7700000578-477_634x387.jpg

83 minutes: Webb, who has been unfairly accused of favouring United in the past, turns down a strong penalty appeal when Tottenham keeper Hugo Lloris races from his goal to close down Ashley Young. Lloris makes no contact with the ball but brings Young down after he crosses the ball. Technically a penalty.

VERDICT: Webb mistake

article-0-1A608F0E00000578-822_634x398.jpg

article-0-1A608EFC00000578-410_634x420.jpg

88 minutes: Webb cautions United’s Adnan Januzaj for a dive - yet another yellow card for simulation for the young man and further evidence of how this offence is so prevalent in our game.

VERDICT: Webb correct

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2532343/GRAHAM-POLL-Webb-wrong-not-award-Young-penalty.html

My favourite part of the game:
Kane%20Boot.gif

Loved it. Made me roar laughing because I'm thinking "What a stupid c**t" before I realised he's a f**king genius.

Does Lennon also trip one of their players towards the bottom of the screen? Recall him defending Townsend a few weeks back by kicking someone. If so, good on you Azza.

I don't really get this at all. I don't know what penalties you mean and looking back on our performance without hoping we would hold on for dear life, I think we were the more impressive performers. They came at us strong in the first few minutes but other than that I didn't feel like we were severely threatened.

It's hard to call the first one, but Welbeck could well have been fouled by Chirices, he was moving quickly and got the slightest of touches, he could've been tripped by it, but it's impossible to really say. It could easily have been a penalty, but luckily for us, it wasn't judged to be. Lloris tackle on Young is a stonewall penalty, absolutely no doubt about it. Lloris comes in with his studs showing and clearly fouls Young, how Webb didn't see that, I don't know. As someone wrote on Twitter, "what if Young came flying into Lloris like that?", it would've been a freekick any day of the week.

But by all means, I don't really care, I just wanted to point out that we got a bit lucky up there, for a change. No biggie, that's football, and as many have already pointed out, ManU have certainly had their share of decisions go their way up there in the past.

And I agree that we were impressive. I thought we played an excellent match, but I also thought we were threatened on several occasions during the last 20 minutes of the game. In the end though, our finishing was better than United's, and we deserved the win, but we got a bit lucky with a couple of the decisions, I thought. :)

Great result, fantastic to win away to United again. Couldn't stop smiling and laughing...

No doubting we were a bit lucky, but such is football. We fought hard and were brave both with our starting line-up and with subs and play when ahead.

Sherwood got some stick (as did AVB) for going 4-3-3/4-5-1 when ahead in some previous games, thought yesterday illustrated how it can work with the way we managed to keep possession up until the last couple of minutes when they managed to put us under real pressure.

Really looking forward to seeing more of Bentaleb, really brave and looks good. No idea why Kane was put on instead of Lamela, but it worked out and the "boot the ball" incident was brilliant. Kane did alright to be fair to him.

Thought Ade was excellent along with Vlad and Walker.

Speaking of Micky Hazard, did anyone get his half time talk against Stoke? He was almost in tears talking about his relationship with the club. Very nice to see, I thought. :)

In a strange way, I think Micky's comments helped change the atmosphere in the ground for the second half?

Was too ****ed to post after getting back from the game! Buzzing off the win.

I was pleasantly surprised by Tim's tactics yesterday. Clearly not a complete one-trick pony. Had us set up to contain and counter, clear as day but still tough for Man Utd to deal with us going forward as they seemed to be gung ho in large parts.

Adebayor was fantastic before he went off. Soldado did well but needs to take gilt-edged chances like the one yesterday. Eriksen and Dembele were decent too. Everyone else did their job except perhaps Dawson who was vulnerable. Rose got skinned a lot but nothing came of it cos that Valencia is a **** crosser. Lloris had some good moments and some bad moments, couple of good saves but silly of him to come off his line for their goal, he also comes for crosses way too much at the moment. Lennon was our man of the match, he was terrific, he always seems to get the better of Evra.

How crap are United though? I thought we were a functional team but they take it a whole new level! Very little fluidity in their play, lots of hoofing and zero penetration. Not to mention players like Evra, Cleverley and Valencia are utter donkeys, probably not even top half players.

On to the Library. COYS

As for the Young penalty shout, Lloris slid, Young hurdled him...no contact ... no penalty. Had Young showed some guts and not jumped the tackle then it would have been, but he didnt. Bunch of cheating cnuts, they deserve nothing. As for Moyes, his pathetic cry baby press conference is proof that the pressure is too much for him.

Was too ****ed to post after getting back from the game! Buzzing off the win.

I was pleasantly surprised by Tim's tactics yesterday. Clearly not a complete one-trick pony. Had us set up to contain and counter, clear as day but still tough for Man Utd to deal with us going forward as they seemed to be gung ho in large parts.

Adebayor was fantastic before he went off. Soldado did well but needs to take gilt-edged chances like the one yesterday. Eriksen and Dembele were decent too. Everyone else did their job except perhaps Dawson who was vulnerable. Rose got skinned a lot but nothing came of it cos that Valencia is a **** crosser. Lloris had some good moments and some bad moments, couple of good saves but silly of him to come off his line for their goal, he also comes for crosses way too much at the moment. Lennon was our man of the match, he was terrific, he always seems to get the better of Evra.

How crap are United though? I thought we were a functional team but they take it a whole new level! Very little fluidity in their play, lots of hoofing and zero penetration. Not to mention players like Evra, Cleverley and Valencia are utter donkeys, probably not even top half players.

On to the Library. COYS

Yeah I was shocked at how often they relied on the aimless long ball out of defence. Not much technical play from them, Rooney excepted.

Really satisfied to know that we can beat ManU nowadays. We had to wait 24 long years to beat ManU at their place last season and now we have won there 2 years in a row. How sweet is that ! Somehow beating them last season was much sweeter as ManU were fighting for league title then but they are now a struggling mid table club ! ManU have now lost 3 of their last 4 league matches at home which shows how poor they have been this season. Nice to know we are no longer mentally affected when playing ManU now. Now we have won 2 and drew 2 of our last 4 matches against them. Hope we can extend that run for a very long time.

Due credit to Sherwood and the team for getting this win but Sherwood almost threw away the match with his wrong substitutions. We were comfortable at 1-0 and ManU didn't look like scoring. There was no need to change anything at that time. But as soon as we replaced Capoue with Bentaleb, we lost the midfield battle and ManU began to put us under constant pressure. We did make it 2-0 but conceded the goal immediately. It was very annoying to follow the match after that as they were attacking us every second. Thought it was also too risky to replace Soldado with the inexperienced Kane. But fortunately ManU didn't take advantage of that.

I think Eriksen was the man-of-the-match as he set up 1 goal and scored another. Credit to Adebayor for that headed goal as it came at a crucial time. I think if ManU had scored first, it would have been very difficult for us to come back. Soldado worked hard but should have scored after being set up by Lennon when the score was 1-0. I think we could have won comfortable if Soldado had scored then. Instead, it almost become costly for us as ManU were almost allowed to come back. Kane did well when he came on especially the time wasting kick.

I think we won this match due to our midfield. Apart from the goal and assist by Eriksen, we largely controlled the midfield, especially in the first half. ManU's midfield were poor but credit to Lennon, Dembele and Capoue for playing well. Despite that, Lennon wasted 2 chances to score, especially in the first half. If Lennon had scored early in the first half, we could have settle in early. Too bad we lost the midfield control after Capoue was replaced in the second half.

Really disappointed with the way we conceded the goal. We seem to concede too many goals immediately after scoring these days. It was the same against WBA. I think our defence need to concentrate more whenever we score goals. We defended well but we also rode our luck as all the crucial decisions went our away. Thought we were very lucky not to concede the penalty when Young fell down after being challenged by Lloris. Lloris did make a few good saves but he was also taking too much risk by running out too early to collect the ball a few times. Despite that, it is nice to know we won this match without our best defender Vertonghen and our best midfielder Sandro.

ManU used to be our bogey team but now it looks like we have become their bogey team instead ! Always felt that once we get that first win, we will go on a winning run against them like now. Ofcourse, now we have to concentrate on beating them at home ! Hope we can beat ManU at WHL next time we play them.

Last edited:
"Ashley has got an injury that is going to keep him out for a time," said Moyes.

"It is a shoulder injury he received in the challenge by the goalkeeper. I am not sure how long it will be."

Young's absence from Sunday's FA Cup third-round encounter with Swansea further fuels United's annoyance at Lloris getting away with his challenge.

Yet Moyes is not prepared to push for the widening of video technology beyond its current limit of determining whether shots have crossed the line or not.

"I wouldn't go down the route of video technology," said Moyes. "I trust the referees to make the right decisions.

"They do make the wrong ones at times and I have not changed how I felt on Wednesday. I thought that was the wrong decision."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/03/ashley-young-injured-manchester-united-lloris

Ferguson has got him chipping away, sending a message to ensure they get the next one (even if it isn't).

Ferguson has got him chipping away, sending a message to ensure they get the next one (even if it isn't).

I hope other managers remind the referee every match that United have the next few weeks that just because they didn't get that one (and there has been some debate about whether it even was) that it doesn't mean it should be levelled out in the coming weeks. It's very obvious what Moyes is doing, and I hope their opponents in the next few weeks put the pressure on the refs to ensure they don't get one unjustly.

Kind of like how I think now wit Mourinho, managers aren't getting involved in the mind games any more. It's too obvious what he does, and they know the best way to play him. I hope other clubs counter Moyes.

Back