• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur Vs Liverpool OMT ***

Disappointing performance but a great result ! Liverpool were unbeaten in 8 league matches before this and so it was always going to be a tough match for us. This is a typical Spurs performance, we always get complacent when we score early goals. We did really well to score 2 early goals but got complacent and let Liverpool dominate after that. We probably would have played much better had we not scored that early. But it is the result that counts, so no complain about the poor performance.

As always, Bale influences how we play. He was brillliant earlier in the match, creating our first goal for Lennon and scoring the 2nd goal himself. After that he faded away and so we struggled. We didn't look like scoring after that. I think the main reason is that our midfield of Sandro and Dembele were very poor and got outplayed by Liverpool. I think Dembele are not fully match fit yet. Unfortunately for us, we don't have a proper cover for midfield. Hudd or Sig would not have made much difference.

Depite their dominance, don't think Liverpool looked like scoring. It was comical the way Liverpool scored through own goal by Bale. Lennon could have done better with the clearance instead of shooting straight at Bales's face. Apart from that, the only time Liverpool came to almost scoring was when Walker cleared off the line. It was amazing the way Walker did that despite Gallas in front of him. Due credit to Walker for that.

Wish we had managed to keep a clean sheet. But just can't see us keeping a clean sheet now until we can field our best defence. It was not a convincing win but one that can boost out confidence. We are now only 3 points off 3rd place. Hope we can go on a winning run now.

Tough game as expected, we really need to sort out how we react when going in front. Liverpool look good.

I think yesterday was another example of how much we miss Adebayor when he's not available, Liverpool could put us under pressure knowing that Agger and Skrtel would win almost all of the long balls we were forced into playing.

Was really impressed with just how hard Lennon was working, he really put a proper shift in and was both pressing and getting back to help out Walker every time. That little bit of high pressure we had towards the end of the second half was instigated by him.

Good to have Dembele back, hopefully he will be alright for the weekend.

Was really impressed with just how hard Lennon was working, he really put a proper shift in and was both pressing and getting back to help out Walker every time. That little bit of high pressure we had towards the end of the second half was instigated by him.

That stood out for me as well - worked his socks off last night. Fantastic player, love his attitude

Jan Vertonghen: Made more tackles against Liverpool last night (11) than any other player has done in a Premier League game this season

some interesting stats from http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/agger-skrtel-start-the-attack
see stats on dembele despite his lack of fitness, and dempsey for those who don't think he gets involved enough.

Attacking

The two likely men dominated the statistics as far as shots were concerned - with Luis Suarez's seven leading ahead of the five attempted by Spurs winger Gareth Bale.
157088769.jpg

Both players saw three of their efforts hit the target but it was the Welshman who proved the more effective - taking four punts from outside the box, finding the net once and providing an assist.

Just as against Swansea at the weekend, eight of the ten outfield players who started the match at White Hart Lane tried their luck at least once - Joe Allen and Stewart Downing the Reds not to register.
Of the 17 shots the away side recorded, 11 were struck by the attacking trio of Jose Enrique, Raheem Sterling and Suarez - with four on target.
Tottenham's front four, by comparison, shot at goal 12 times and tested Pepe Reina with six of those. Interestingly, eight of those strikes were launched from outside the penalty area.

Distribution
The Reds controlled possession throughout the Barclays Premier League encounter, and it was centre-back Martin Skrtel who topped the passing accuracy standings.
The Slovakian finished the match with a 94.6 per cent rating, ahead of Clint Dempsey (94.4 per cent), Steven Gerrard (89.9 per cent) and Daniel Agger (88.9 per cent).
Agger saw more of the ball than any other player on the pitch - 72 times - followed by Reds midfield duo Allen and Gerrard on 69. Mousa Dembele was the top performer for Spurs in that department with 46 passes.
The home side played significantly more long passes than Liverpool, 15 per cent to 9.4 per cent, which was reflected in the individual distribution figures.
While Agger delivered just 1.4 per cent of his passes long, William Gallas and Kyle Walker did so with 25 per cent of their respective balls. Bale kept Spurs' football short, sending just 3.1 per cent of his passes long.
156686839ap013_tottenham_ho.jpg

Gerrard and Jonjo Shelvey, who only played 27 minutes, led the crossing category with eight and six each, considerably clear of Spurs' strongest performer - Bale with three.

Defence
Three of the Reds' defenders made three clearances during the game, but Spurs were forced into a far greater number. Michael Dawson made 16, Gallas 10 and Sandro eight.
Jan Vertonghen attempted far more tackles than any other player on the pitch with 11, followed by teammate Dembele and Liverpool's Glen Johnson on five.
Eight Reds players in total concluded the match with a perfect 100 per cent record in tackles, as did three of their opponents.
Belgian defender Vertonghen topped the standings in regards to duels too, winning 82.4 per cent of the contests he entered. Of those who started the fixture, Agger performed best for Liverpool in duels with a 70 per cent success rate.

In the battle of the two goalkeepers, Hugo Lloris perhaps shaded Reina. The Frenchman stopped 75 per cent of the attempts that came his way, compared to 71.4 per cent for his Spanish counterpart.
Reina was more productive in terms of passing, however. The Reds' 'keeper picked out a teammate with 71.4 per cent of his deliveries. Lloris registered a low 35.3. per cent.

Lloris registered a low 35.3. per cent.

That's pretty poor...

Eight Reds players in total concluded the match with a perfect 100 per cent record in tackles, as did three of their opponents.

That is not surprising. When we did have the ball Dembele and Bale were too busy walking past the reds players for them to have a chance to tackle.

some interesting stats from http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/agger-skrtel-start-the-attack
see stats on dembele despite his lack of fitness, and dempsey for those who don't think he gets involved enough.

Distribution
The Reds controlled possession throughout the Barclays Premier League encounter, and it was centre-back Martin Skrtel who topped the passing accuracy standings.
The Slovakian finished the match with a 94.6 per cent rating, ahead of Clint Dempsey (94.4 per cent), Steven Gerrard (89.9 per cent) and Daniel Agger (88.9 per cent).

I don't see how Dempsey having a high passing accuracy tells anything about his involvement, without number of passes and/or direction it doesn't really make any sense. I thought Dempsey had a good game last night, so not out to slag him.

Just one last thought about Wednesday night's game - the Israeli TV commentators said that it was the best game of football they've seen in the Premier League this season.

They love covering Spurs' games because they're more or less guaranteed great entertainment whatever the result.

The commentators on my river, Trevor Francis and someone, remarked on the entertainment value a few times. First half really flew by. Wigan-City most likely put people to sleep.

The commentators on my river, Trevor Francis and someone, remarked on the entertainment value a few times. First half really flew by..

First half flew by. Second half..pass me the pills, doctor I could barely watch. For a neutral..fantastic entertainment.

I don't see how Dempsey having a high passing accuracy tells anything about his involvement, without number of passes and/or direction it doesn't really make any sense. I thought Dempsey had a good game last night, so not out to slag him.

think of him as a CM but in an advanced position whose job is to chase and gain control of the game. not many CM's are going to shine in that role where the opponents play a similar high pressure defensive game like us. Look at how defoe fared.

Who gives a fudge about theory? What is involvement? Bale's involvement won us the game. But the team contributed.

Have seen several people asking in different threads if Lloris had a save to make. Seemingly to make the point that Liverpool didn't create much.

This comment confuses me, yes he did stop a couple of shots you would expect him to save, but in addition to that both for the own goal and another massive chance we made clearances off the line, Henderson had his shot forced just wide by Walker when the goal was open.

Yes, he didn't make any great saves, but Liverpool had some massive chances where he would have been without a chance if not for the last minute help of some of our other players.

It is amusing reading some of the RAWK meltdown/analysis of the game. All in all, we are pretty lucky that our serial divers fooled the corrupt ref into cheating Liverpool out of a deserved victory

They're completely oblivious to the fact that our players were constantly being hacked down. 18 tackles and 18 fouls (obviously, all the fouls didn't come from tackles). Must have been a lot of dives.

That summary of statistics is impressive - it's from the official LFC site? Do Spurs offer something similar?

I know that FSG place a major emphasis on statistics when it comes to the Red Sox, so i wonder if this is representative of a new approach at LFC too. Or is it something they've published for a while, before FSG?

Back