• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur VS Liverpool - Official OMT***

The point I made is - we were hoofing away at the back being under pressure for most the game. Their long balls to Carroll were attacking passes not defensive blocks. I can recall Parker along stopping at least 5 attacks from our left after BAE was beaten yet again.

The original point was focused around the (outrageous in my view) claim of us matching their possession and being better in midfield. This has been now lost via side arguments so little left to argue

Jesus Christ, not the old BAE beaten again thing...why do you think Scotty P was shielding the defense? Because as great as Ledders is, it's all positional, all in his head and virtually out of his legs; Benny has to check inside to try and cover a larger area than if, say, Kaboul, is playing. Because Ledders cannot move like he used to. Thus why Scotty P had to cover deeper, and why Benny might've been caught out/saved by him a couple of times...

#-o

Again mate, 5 big players out for us, three major attacking presences, manager doesn't make it in the end, can I ask, would you have gone out there against a full-strength Liverpool side and gone for them given the personnel we had? It's not all love, light and merciless flowing attack, sometimes you have to know when to dig in and get a point. My only complaint was that I felt Bale needed to get up and support Ade more in the first-half, but there again, they were trying to kick ten shades of brick out of him from the start and he got little protection, so I sort of understand why...I think with a full-strength side, we are three times the side they are...not ten...

I'm not denying any of the above (r.e. players out, etc.) - simply find it bizzare how people claimed we matched them which wasn't true, imv. The reason why it happened can be partly justified by the factors you've mentioned above - but the fact of the matter is - it did happen and there is no way we can sit here declaring how we were better in midfield or being dominant, etc.

Sorry Steff, but BAE was the weakest link defensively that night and lost his man numerous times and contrinutied trying to do his Cruyff turn while losing the ball time and time again. Just like he was against Chelsea. I see nothing wrong with admitting that, personally

He has he off-days but luckily those are relatively sparse compared to his solid performances

Last edited:
Sorry Steff, but BAE was the weakest link defensively that night and lost his man numerous times and contrinutied trying to do his Cruyff turn while losing the ball time and time again. Just like he was against Chelsea. I see nothing wrong with admitting that, personally

He has he off-days but luckily those are relatively sparse compared to his solid performances

Absolutely agree that he has off-days, I just didn't think Monday was one of them...

Ha, you ve returned.

No - Im simply illlustrating that WE were the ones absorbing all the pressure for most of the game and were continuously pressed in our own half. The fact we defended well is undeniable - its the fact we were made to so for most of the game against a team many concluded were 10x times bricker than us before kick off that is being overlooked here.

We were not absorbing pressure all night at all, total fallacy.

We enjoyed a great deal of possession, that it was in our half does not dictate that we were pressured or under attack.

Tactically it was the game plan, which your territorial stats prove.

The game took place mostly in our half

We dealt with nearly 40 crosses. That is 1 almost 2 minutes

We were under pressure. We were confined to our half for more than 10 minutes at a time. Half decent striker would have finished some of those chances.

If they ended up winning the game (for argument's sake) - would you say it was undeserved based on the overall display

I think a draw was a perfectly fair result.

I also think that as the game was played predominantly in our half your view of proceedings has been clouded in a negative fashion.

For example, crosses. Prove only that the ball was slung into the box. Not that we were pinned back, not that they had 40 goal scoring opportunities, not even that they hit our byline to fire them in. Just that someone launched it at the box.

(Theoretically) You might see that as hugely negative, we were getting hammered. Alternatively, you might view that Liverpool were getting desperate and started trying to hit the box early as they couldnt play through us...

Territory, proves only where AND NOT HOW the game was played.

Possession shows a teams involvement, but certainly not intent (I refer again to the famous Arsenal win, or indeed the teams happy to play 10 passes between defenders before attacking)

Had we more attcking outlets we would have enjoyed more presence in their half and more threat on goal, but I am quite certain much of the game would have gone the same way - invite them in and get in behind them - kind of tactic.

We certainly enjoyed a near equal amount of possession, this surely shows we were far from over run or pinned back.

We did not hoof the ball long all game, though did more to the end. This is of course a fairly regular tactic of ours anyway, early long balls searching for Bale/Adebayor so again Im not sure is indicative of a full on defensive stance for 90 minutes.

We were at no point 'confined to our half for nearly 10 minutes', not to my memory at least and I accuse you of gross exaaggeration here.

We did of course play some fantastic, patient, possession football though in building our own attacks (as opposed to Liverpools long ball thump it to Carroll approach)

The solid 3 minutes of continuous possession, Liverpool chasing shadows, the whole Spurs side showing patience and composure, slowly advancing and pinning Liverpool back while probing for a chance - culminating in Walkers miscued effort was an absolute joy - and something well outside of Liverpools capability IMHO.

This was a game we were in the whole way. Yes there were periods of pressure, but nothing we couldnt (and didnt) handle.

Despite all of their supposed dominance Liverpool managed two meaningful chances. Same as us.

I will atempt and extract clips from the game this weekend and illustrate my earlier comments.

At least 3 factually incorrect statements in the above post.

You have a borderline idealistic view of game proceedings if you really think the above I think that negates any meaningul debate from this point onwards.

Sure, Ill leave it.

Try to refrain from pointing out my comments in this thread if you dont want to engage.

My view is certainly not idealistic, I know we were far from our best - I also know the negative way you portray it is also far from accurate.

You do realise that Liverpool have put in the most crosses of any team in the Premiership this season right? Not just against us...

And yet you would hardly say they have outplayed most teams... quite the opposite if anything.

@optajoe Liverpool have made the most crosses in open play in the PL this season, but are the only side yet to score a goal from one...

Having said that I agree that we were under heavy pressure for a long time.

We'll never know, but if Harry was focus at training in the run up to this game and had been at the game, I think we would have shown more determination and self belief. Pool are difficult to play against at home. But we looked like we lacked confidence to take the game to them and didn't even break with much support.

Frustrating as I think our team has the ability, just missing some belief, determination and quality back up for tired players. Weakening our squad in Jan hasn't helped either. I found it an extremely frustrating game. But I guess after city where we took the game to them and lost, a point is not bad. Just feel those players have the ability to dominate games but they didn't have enough intent.

Sure, Ill leave it.

Try to refrain from pointing out my comments in this thread if you dont want to engage.

My view is certainly not idealistic, I know we were far from our best - I also know the negative way you portray it is also far from accurate.

I make it 12 Rounds in your favour, plus a K.O at the end, just for fun.

Refraining from the debate only saves you from continuing to savagely beat a defeated opponent. Go home, and put your feet up. Its done.

Back