• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds Leeds Leeds ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with a lot of this but thought that Dele was our best player after Lloris. Was surprised that he wasn't in the MoTM poll. He was involved in everything good that we did.

Our Harry Redknapp team was also pretty well coached I think. We didn't see our players getting isolated 2 on 1 as was the case often out wide both sides on Saturday.

Dele had a decent role in our attacking play for about 35 minutes (trash in 2nd half), certainly wouldn't have had him anywhere near MotM
He was part of the problem, by sitting high (instructions probably) he left the midfield outnumbered by Leeds and they just knocked the ball around us (embarrassingly).
Redknapp was more right player for right role and let the player capability shine through

Dele had a decent role in our attacking play for about 35 minutes (trash in 2nd half), certainly wouldn't have had him anywhere near MotM
He was part of the problem, by sitting high (instructions probably) he left the midfield outnumbered by Leeds and they just knocked the ball around us (embarrassingly).
Redknapp was more right player for right role and let the player capability shine through
Looked very much to me as though Dele was told to stay high. It was evident that Kane would drop in and Dele would then get high up the pitch.

All of our problems on Saturday came from their full backs getting forward unopposed. Earlier in the season under Mourinho we went too far the other way when absolutely everyone came back for us and we couldn't get out but on Saturday we were too far the other way in that we were leaving 3 to 4 players up field. With Dele getting ahead of Kane we could've had the wingers tracking their full back's runs and still been able to spring counter attacks through balls to Kane or Dele.

The midfield was outnumbered mainly because or two wide forwards (especially) the one on our right hand side did not track their opposing full backs runs. Leeds played a 4-1-4-1 system and were happy to go man to man on us instead of leaving a spare man as most teams do when defending. When their full backs bombed on K0ch would drop in and take Dele and either the two centre backs would fan out to look after our wide forwards, or only one full back would bomb on and one centre back would fan out.

Because we maintained 2 CB's against Bamford that meant our central 2 were 1 on 1 with their 2 central midfielders, so our 2 couldn't always successfully get out to help the fullbacks who had constant 2 on 1s due to Son and (more so) Bale not tracking them, when our central midfielders did get out there to help then it would leave one of Leeds' central 2 midfielders in space to pick up the ball in dangerous areas close to the edge of our penalty area. The best thing for us to have done on Saturday to counter Leeds' aggressive high press and man for man marking would probably have been to look to quickly go long in behind their high line, so that those one on ones were happening in a dangerous part of the pitch. At the very least that might've help pin their fullbacks back somewhat and reduced Leeds' attacking threat out wide.

I know it's not popular to say it as he doesn't come across as particularly intelligent but Redknapp's Spurs team were very well organised and coached. Better than any of our teams over the last 20+ years other than Pochettino's.

Last edited:
Even bigger indictment re being outcoached was that Leeds hadn't started imo their most important player in Kalvan Phillips....

So my view (kept away post match)

Mason got a little schooling
- Leeds look better coached (hard to put on Mason as he's only had a couple of weeks)
- We look better on individual moments
- The issue was around taking the "don't change a winning side", it is super clear Leeds will press/harass at pace all game long, carrying both Bale and Dele (yes, people are going to talk brick about him being a possession player, he isn't), leaving the midfield at a numeric disadvantage was never going to work

Nothing we haven't known for two years or so
- CB area still a problem
- Our first choice FBs are decent but need protection
- fudging side is ala Redknapp days, all about individual brilliance, not much actual coaching (no fudging way Leeds should knock the ball around us)

I think this is the enviable post-Mourinho pain. It has to happen. Probably better it happens with Mason and we blow out the cobwebs/clarify the dead-spots before a new manager comes in.

We discuss another angle of the situation on the pod (won't go into that here)...

I think this is the enviable post-Mourinho pain. It has to happen. Probably better it happens with Mason and we blow out the cobwebs/clarify the dead-spots before a new manager comes in.

We discuss another angle of the situation on the pod (won't go into that here)...
Your vote for Dier was an accident/joke right mate?!?

Back