• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds Leeds Leeds ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ever since it became clear that the Mourinho experiment was a failure, I began questioning our players' lack of determination. This season reminded me of what we went through in the 90s, bar for the relegation dogfight.

Now, having said that, today's defeat also highlights the difference between a rookie manager and one of the most brillant minds in today's football. Mason is getting a pass because he's only here for a short time but all of our performances have been mediocre at best. He keeps on selecting his pals, regardless of performances (or lack thereof). You can't really blame him as we hardly had any chance of making Top4, so why should he upset his friends for? The last few games is just going to be a long filler until we appoint the next manager.

Things aren't looking good at the moment but we should keep in mind that a good manager, with the backing of his players and his board, can achieve decent results. Leeds' squad ins't particularly outstanding in terms of quality but they looked infinitely better than us today. That's something we haven't been able to get for a long time but you don't necessarily need world-beaters to achieve some measure of success. The pandemic came at the worst possible time for us but I disagree about this summer being particularly massive for us.

If what I've read about the new stadium is true, we need someone to keep us entertaining and relevant for a couple of years, until we can make the extra income count. By then, most of the squad will have moved on anyway and we'll be ready to begin a new cycle.

i can't understand some fans on here knocking Bale. He is a World class player allthough older...and still has scored more goals than any other Spurs player per time on the field. You dont expect him to be Michael Johnson charging up and down the pitch for ninety minutes. He is still very quick on the ball. We played some good football in the first half and were taking the game to a very good Leeds Team. They were fortunate to have scored before half time as they were starting to tire..IMO.
Its a wonder Bale was not blamed for Leeds third goal as well.

He really isn’t fine
His high bar lasted 2 months maybe 3
In his whole time here that’s pretty low
All 3 goals came do win his side today
We have to get in a better RB
And a CB
Saying ‘all 3 goals came for his side’ is failing to understand the game.

When a right back is left 2 on 1 all game they will be played around as happened today. He got beat too easily for the first goal I agree but even then it is a simple ball across the box that any half decent centre back deals with.... Unfortunately we have Dier instead of a half decent centre half.

Leeds attacked our right hand side today because they know it is simple to work a 2 on 1 with Bale standing around on the half way line.

When a right back is left 2 on 1 all game they will be played around as happened today. He got beat too easily for the first goal I agree but even then it is a simple ball across the box that any half decent centre back deals with.... Unfortunately we have Dier instead of a half decent centre half.

Leeds attacked our right hand side today because they know it is simple to work a 2 on 1 with Bale standing around on the half way line.

Starting bale made no sense.
If we needed to bring Sissoko on to make up for his lack of defensive tracking in the cup final, then who was supposed to do it today?

Oh so its Bale's fault we lost. He is not 21 you have to play Bale to His strengths..I didnt see Bale making ant rooster ups during the game..but blame him!

Oh so its Bale's fault we lost. He is not 21 you have to play Bale to His strengths..I didnt see Bale making ant rooster ups during the game..but blame him!
It’s not Bale’s singular fault no.

Only Ryan Mason could answer what the tactics were, though it was easy to see that Leeds were creating 2 on 1 overloads on Aurier regularly by pushing their left back on unopposed.

If Mason had instructed Bale to stay high up the pitch then it would’ve been Lo Celso’s job to ensure there was no overload. Unfortunately Leeds had 2 on 1’s out there so often on our right that it was impossible to tell which of Bale or Lo Celso was supposed to be defending against Leeds’ left back, I suspect it should’ve been Bale simply because that is the norm in a 4-2-3-1.

It’s not Bale’s singular fault no.

Only Ryan Mason could answer what the tactics were, though it was easy to see that Leeds were creating 2 on 1 overloads on Aurier regularly by pushing their left back on unopposed.

If Mason had instructed Bale to stay high up the pitch then it would’ve been Lo Celso’s job to ensure there was no overload. Unfortunately Leeds had 2 on 1’s out there so often on our right that it was impossible to tell which of Bale or Lo Celso was supposed to be defending against Leeds’ left back, I suspect it should’ve been Bale simply because that is the norm in a 4-2-3-1.
Lo Celso had a bad game IMO and is not meeting expectatiuons. Yes Leeds were overloading us on the regulion side as well., I dont think any manager would have done any better with the squad we have at the moment. Bit of a problem really..
Very impressed with Leeds though.

Lo Celso had a bad game IMO and is not meeting expectatiuons. Yes Leeds were overloading us on the regulion side as well., I dont think any manager would have done any better with the squad we have at the moment. Bit of a problem really..
Very impressed with Leeds though.
Yes, Leeds were well drilled, well coached, fit and had clear patterns of play. I’ve got no idea who was supposed to be helping our fullbacks.... maybe Mason thinks they can both come out on top when directly up against 2 players? If so then clearly he is a terrible choice even as caretaker manager. I suspect instead more likely though is that some of our players didn’t carry out his instructions.

Last edited:
i can't understand I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you on here knocking Bale. He is a World class player allthough older...and still has scored more goals than any other Spurs player per time on the field. You dont expect him to be Michael Johnson charging up and down the pitch for ninety minutes. He is still very quick on the ball. We played some good football in the first half and were taking the game to a very good Leeds Team. They were fortunate to have scored before half time as they were starting to tire..IMO.
Its a wonder Bale was not blamed for Leeds third goal as well.

World class players turn up in Cup finals, not the week after against relegation canon fodder.

It’s not Bales fault, it’s the tactics and that lies with Mason. It was so so obvious you can’t line up with Bale wide against a team that intensely presses and runs all game. We were literally playing with ten men. If Bale has to play against the strong pressing teams it has to be as no.9 because otherwise the game just passes him by....

He was playing just in front of the back four today.

There are so many centre backs out there better than what we have. Can think of at least a dozen in the German league alone. Could get a pair of good ones for under £50m and be 12+ better off points wise in a season.

Parking cones would be an improvement

I suspect instead more likely though is that some of our players didn’t carry out his instructions.

Now that sounds familiar. I’m sure I’ve heard someone who worked closely with the team say the same thing recently...

World class players turn up in Cup finals, not the week after against relegation canon fodder.

Correct.

Bale has a very good goal-per-minutes-on-the- pitch record this season, but his goals have come against Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United, Brighton, Southampton, West Ham, LASK and Wolfsberger.

When given a chance against bigger teams he’s been next to invisible.

Less then those who have though. We need a clear out and we need to do it this summer or we will struggle again next season under yet another manager.
“A clear out” is easy to say but not so easy to implement with our severely limited funds.
It will take considerable care to make sure we don’t throw the baby out etc.

Like bale did vs Fulham and Arsenal

In every game. Any team that details their left back to get forward will have a field day against us.
I agree
But I said when we played Arsenal and Fulham Doherty had NO cover. But the comments at the time where all on Doherty as Bale can do no wrong. Aurier had the same yesterday and it’s about Bale more....
its massively about bale and how for some reason at home he does the defensive work (could be the opposition) but away from home he doesn’t. It was lazy from him and Aurier should have pulled him up on it
The best right back in the land would struggle if doubled up on
But back on Aurier he had a poor game, and a very good one last week vs Sheffield. The guy needs to either tuning around and say this is where he wants to play or leave. His contract position and his lack of consistency (his brain farts are always there) need sorting if he is gonna play

I agree
But I said when we played Arsenal and Fulham Doherty had NO cover. But the comments at the time where all on Doherty as Bale can do no wrong. Aurier had the same yesterday and it’s about Bale more....
its massively about bale and how for some reason at home he does the defensive work (could be the opposition) but away from home he doesn’t. It was lazy from him and Aurier should have pulled him up on it
The best right back in the land would struggle if doubled up on
But back on Aurier he had a poor game, and a very good one last week vs Sheffield. The guy needs to either tuning around and say this is where he wants to play or leave. His contract position and his lack of consistency (his brain farts are always there) need sorting if he is gonna play
You cannot judge the performance of a player who is outnumbered. Many on here used to think Danny Rose was poor. However he had Chadli in front of him who did zero defensive work. I thought Rose was a very good player even back then as he coped as well as anyone could with constant 2 v 1s, as soon as our shape improved, Rose was instantly a good full back.

Our team is so unbalanced at the moment, we actually have a lot of decent players but too many who play for themselves. We have an extremely poor centre back in Dier and no adequate partner for Hojbjerg in the centre of midfield. We could improve at right and left back but both positions are a good few signings down the list of priorities. We could put peak Neville and Irwin in this team and still it would look like we had two poor fullbacks.

Back