• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top 10 songs from past 30 years.

Mulletperm

Milija Aleksic
I love these kind of threads because it opens me up to stuff I may not have heard before.

I figured that the past 30 years kinda encapsulates most of our age bracket. I'm normally a metal/hard-rock fan, so am going to try and mix it up a bit with other stuff I've heard.

In no order:

Nightswimming - REM
Even Flow - Pearl Jam
Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
Born Slippy - Underworld
Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
Fools Gold - The Stone Roses
River of Deceit - Mad Season
Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill
1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
Rolling in the Deep - Adele

Hmmm, there's an awful lot there from the 90s....

I love these kind of threads because it opens me up to stuff I may not have heard before.

I figured that the past 30 years kinda encapsulates most of our age bracket. I'm normally a metal/hard-rock fan, so am going to try and mix it up a bit with other stuff I've heard.

In no order:

Nightswimming - REM
Even Flow - Pearl Jam
Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
Born Slippy - Underworld
Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
Fools Gold - The Stone Roses
River of Deceit - Mad Season
Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill
1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
Rolling in the Deep - Adele

Hmmm, there's an awful lot there from the 90s....
That's because music started a rapid death in about 96-97 and never recovered. Millenials are all clams so we'll have to wait for the next generation before music can be good again.

That's because music started a rapid death in about 96-97 and never recovered. Millenials are all clams so we'll have to wait for the next generation before music can be good again.

The late 90s had little going for them, but the mid 2000s saw post-punk indie sensibility become mainstream and much good resulted. Interpol, for instance. Editors. It may have been pastiche, but it was much better than the dross that followed Britpop. And really, the only Britpop band worth anything was Pulp.

The late 90s had little going for them, but the mid 2000s saw post-punk indie sensibility become mainstream and much good resulted. Interpol, for instance. Editors. It may have been pastiche, but it was much better than the dross that followed Britpop. And really, the only Britpop band worth anything was Pulp.
All of that stuff you're talking about is included in the "brick that followed Britpop" category for me. Much of the mainstream Britpop stuff was (as with all genres) was dogbrick, but it was a very good period for going to smaller gigs with a good groundswell of bands. It's been a long time since I went to a gig and was pleasantly surprised - most of the clams gigging now are producing what @milo succinctly calls "music for bedwetters".

Any world in which Ed Sheeran can exist, let alone make money selling music is a bad one.

All of that stuff you're talking about is included in the "brick that followed Britpop" category for me. Much of the mainstream Britpop stuff was (as with all genres) was dogbrick, but it was a very good period for going to smaller gigs with a good groundswell of bands. It's been a long time since I went to a gig and was pleasantly surprised - most of the clams gigging now are producing what @milo succinctly calls "music for bedwetters".

Any world in which Ed Sheeran can exist, let alone make money selling music is a bad one.

Long time since I've been to anything but a (disappointing) nostalgia gig, so I'll take your word for it. If you go deep enough into any sub-genre rabbit hole there will be plenty of superb recent music. For me, it's been post-rock for about a year, but I doubt anyone here will share that enthusiasm.

What changed this century was that the musical mainstream is now divorced from either gigs or record sales: it's part of a multi-platform, multi-media celebrity industry. Which is why it's brick.

No idea what @milo means by bedwetters. When my daughters were young enough to need bedside sticker charts they were malleable enough to be persuaded that they liked the Cardiacs. Those days are long gone.

It's roughly 30 years ago that Stock Aitken Waterman embarked on the death of music, before passing on the baton to Simon Fuller and Simon Cowell.

It's roughly 30 years ago that Stock Aitken Waterman embarked on the death of music, before passing on the baton to Simon Fuller and Simon Cowell.

SAW started their tripe in 87ish, and there was still cracking music through the early-mid nineties. It seems that something happened around 97/98 and decent music just died. The only thing of note I can remember from around that time is the Oasis Knebworth shows, where festivals became 'trendy' and the subsequent implosion of Oasis.

I don't believe that. There's always been pop music - it's always been aimed at people who don't like thinking very much. That goes back way further than SAW, they just improved the process.

The problem now is that there's every little in the way of an alternative scene in which music can grow properly. Much of that is down to the existence of generation sensible and their complete inability to indulge in hedonistic behaviour.

SAW started their tripe in 87ish, and there was still cracking music through the early-mid nineties. It seems that something happened around 97/98 and decent music just died. The only thing of note I can remember from around that time is the Oasis Knebworth shows, where festivals became 'trendy' and the subsequent implosion of Oasis.
Oasis brought chavs to guitar music and festivals - that was a big part of it. I have only been to Glastonbury twice and Reading once since then (used to be both most years) and I can't say I enjoyed either. Those festivals used to be places you could go to get away from all the clams (had to put up with hippies though) but now they're all there too.

Oasis brought chavs to guitar music and festivals - that was a big part of it. I have only been to Glastonbury twice and Reading once since then (used to be both most years) and I can't say I enjoyed either. Those festivals used to be places you could go to get away from all the clams (had to put up with hippies though) but now they're all there too.

Good point. I did Glastonbury 1994, and Reading 1995 both of which were bloody amazing. Then had a bit of a break from festivals until around Reading 2000 and it was bloody awful. Completely different atmosphere.

Mostly mid-90s for me, but as few more recent ones

Pulp - Babies
Verve - History
Mansun - Everyone Must Win
Shed Seven - Chasing Rainbows
Echo and the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever
Hurricane #1 - Step Into My World
Marion - Sleep
Puressence - Sharpen Up The Knives
Professor Elemental - Hat Full Of Sunshine
Ride - Lannoy Point

This thread would be a lot more challenging if we excluded the 90s.
So a best songs of 1989 thread? Shouldn't be too tough. In that year we had:

• The Stone Roses
  • Doolittle
  • 3 Feet High and Rising
  • Straight Outta Compton
  • Disintegration
Pretty much any track on any of those albums beats the brick out of post-2000 music. And I'm going to sneak a single in there and nominate Joe by the Inspirals as we can't have a best music discussion without me mentioning them.

This thread would be a lot more challenging if we excluded the 90s.

Especially as the Smiths split in 1987

I guess there would be some Stone Roses, Cure (Disintegration was 1989), Pixies (Doolittle was 1989), then for me a spattering of Libertines, Empire of the Sun and Jeffrey Lewis.

Wow that is a hard question for those as old as me i love music and got a few thousand LP's.

I will probably get it wrong and think how the hell did i forget that one but here goes.

Working Class Hero : Lennon
Stairway to Heaven : Led Zep
Machine Gun : Hendrix
Hells Bells : AC/DC
Masters of War : Dylan
Like a Rock : Bob Segar
On the Road Again : Canned Heat
Suite Judy Blue Eyes : CSN
Child in Time : Deep Purple
Riders of the Storm : The Doors.

Wow that is a hard question for those as old as me i love music and got a few thousand LP's.

I will probably get it wrong and think how the hell did i forget that one but here goes.

Working Class Hero : Lennon
Stairway to Heaven : Led Zep
Machine Gun : Hendrix
Hells Bells : AC/DC
Masters of War : Dylan
Like a Rock : Bob Segar
On the Road Again : Canned Heat
Suite Judy Blue Eyes : CSN
Child in Time : Deep Purple
Riders of the Storm : The Doors.

You don't say...

Top 10 songs from past 30 years.