• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Lack of effort and application is his biggest misgiving.

How many times have you not seen him jog instead of sprint, or lapse in concentration? Always seems to wave his arms in the air after too.

Laughable comment. And I am laughing.I will petition the internet in his defense.;)

Lack of awareness is his Achilles heel, IMO.

The biggest factors in Dier's decline performance-wise (IMO) have been -

1) Appendix issues
2) Playing for two seasons in a team that counter-attacks.

He is much, much better 10 yards up the pitch with pace around him on the cover. Playing deeper, with the opposition invited to pressure, is not his ideal game.
I think he could well prove to be a useful squad player this season if NES intends to play a bit higher up the pitch with the ball (we shall see).
One overriding fact is that for all the criticism, he remains a player chosen by managers consistently. That says there is something going on we don't see or gauge. I understand the cynic will say it is financially-driven (i.e. no-one wants him) b ut I disagree.

One overriding fact is that for all the criticism, he remains a player chosen by managers consistently. That says there is something going on we don't see or gauge. I understand the cynic will say it is financially-driven (i.e. no-one wants him) b ut I disagree.

That same line of argument gets derided when it's used to explain why Sissoko plays.

1) Appendix issues

He is much, much better 10 yards up the pitch with pace around him on the cover. Playing deeper, with the opposition invited to pressure, is not his ideal game.
I think he could well prove to be a useful squad player this season if NES intends to play a bit higher up the pitch with the ball (we shall see).

It’s a shame he’s not home grown as he’s a good squad player as you say.

The question is do you use an overseas spot on him.

1) Appendix issues

I'd actually say Dier has never been a great CB, and certainly isn't suited to being the senior (organizer) CB in the pair.

His best games were in DM (higher up the pitch to your point) where he dropped back into the center of a three when the FBs went forward.

His decision that he doesn't want to play DM has hindered his value for the team, see first point.

Added to the challenge, our pairing has had some balance issues with gaps in aerial ability, speed and the left side issue that has not helped Dier or Toby.

I think he and Toby was the best of a bad setup last season, but I do expect he will be the last to leave (but from all conversations he is up for sale) simply because Toby is gone, lots of interest in Sanchez and CCV.

I'd actually say Dier has never been a great CB, and certainly isn't suited to being the senior (organizer) CB in the pair.

His best games were in DM (higher up the pitch to your point) where he dropped back into the center of a three when the FBs went forward.

His decision that he doesn't want to play DM has hindered his value for the team, see first point.

Added to the challenge, our pairing has had some balance issues with gaps in aerial ability, speed and the left side issue that has not helped Dier or Toby.

I think he and Toby was the best of a bad setup last season, but I do expect he will be the last to leave (but from all conversations he is up for sale) simply because Toby is gone, lots of interest in Sanchez and CCV.

Never trust a player who isn't sure of his best position.

Dier was at his best when he had Dembele, Vertonghen & Alderweireld holding his hand through games as a DM who dropped in to CB - without those senior players around him he's looked well below the standards we require

Pretty much. You can carry 1 or 2 players when you have a team full of excellent footballers and professionals like we had from 2015-2019. Same goes for Sanchez. We can’t afford the luxury anymore as the standard of the team has been allowed to stagnate and actually go backwards.

I forgot about his struggles around his recovery from that appendix op. Recall he looked worn and haggard when he finally started for us after a long time.

1) Appendix issues

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I don't understand the need for some of our fans to slag off our own players. We should always look to upgrade, whoever that is. What ever level at the club. But while they are here treat them with respect.

Personally have left my slagging the player on the forums and never in the stadium.

Back to Toby. Will be gutted to see him go. Rolls Royce of a centre half in his prime and a lovely ping on him. I wonder when we'll see a partnership as good as prime Jan and Toby at the back again

Back