• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Anyone else extremely worried about the prospect of Eric fudging Dier and Davinson Sanchez aka the physically weakest CB in the league as our starting CB’s for next season? Literally as bad as it has been since the Gross/Hoddle/Pleat days.

No I think it shows a degree of confidence in the club signing new centrebacks.

True.... He can cover as a really poor centre back or an atrocious defensive midfield player.

I do think that Dier will end up staying, but only because we'll be unable to find a club that would give us any money for him.
We're not going to replace everyone in one window that needs to be replaced. Dier is ok as a 5th choice CB, 3rd choice RB and 4th choice DCM.
We can't afford to get much better than him with that flexibility. Even Ferguson made use of O'Sheas flexibility at Utd and he was nowhere
near the standard of the first choice in the positions he covered.

Reactions: DTA
We're not going to replace everyone in one window that needs to be replaced. Dier is ok as a 5th choice CB, 3rd choice RB and 4th choice DCM.
We can't afford to get much better than him with that flexibility. Even Ferguson made use of O'Sheas flexibility at Utd and he was nowhere
near the standard of the first choice in the positions he covered.

Some good points here which I agree with. I do hope we will start to phase out Dier over the course of the season. He’s going to cost us points if he is starting any more than 10 games. I hope some people aren’t just blinded by the fact that he loves the club. He said he wanted to have his ashes scattered on the pitch. If he can accept being a bit part player then great but I don’t want him starting unless it’s an emergency or injuries force Nuno’s hand.

Some good points here which I agree with. I do hope we will start to phase out Dier over the course of the season. He’s going to cost us points if he is starting any more than 10 games. I hope some people aren’t just blinded by the fact that he loves the club. He said he wanted to have his ashes scattered on the pitch. If he can accept being a bit part player then great but I don’t want him starting unless it’s an emergency or injuries force Nuno’s hand.
Whenever I watch Dier play at CB I see a player who doesn't seem to know where is supposed to position himself in various situations.... Maybe Nuno will actually coach some positional sense into him and he'll be OK?

Whenever I watch Dier play at CB I see a player who doesn't seem to know where is supposed to position himself in various situations.... Maybe Nuno will actually coach some positional sense into him and he'll be OK?

I think that he is a player who probably tries to do much and ends up paying the price. He's never really been the same player since the burst appendix. It seems to have taken quite a lot out of him physically.

Worse than joining Arsenal.
Some people have no personal code of ethics.
He's not exactly short of money either is he.

How is it worse than joining them!!?

Must be a wedge off the wage bill too. 80k a week? But we will miss his passing. Especially if playing a 3 at the back (unlikely will be 4 at the back most of the time). Without doubt Toby is our best current CB, which shows how lacking we've been in the position.

Was Poch's greatest failing choosing players to sign? Sanchez, Ndombele, LeCelco were the biggest reason for his downfall?

Reactions: DTA

That's a typical fan reaction, most players will go where the best deal for them and their family is. Some players feel more for clubs than others that's life. Ask yourself would we keep him for an other 3 years on his wages?

That's a typical fan reaction, most players will go where the best deal for them and their family is. Some players feel more for clubs than others that's life. Ask yourself would we keep him for an other 3 years on his wages?

I'm sure he had loads of options and clubs willing to take him.
He is 32 not 35.
Instead he basically retires to live in a totalitarian state for the next few years for an extra few million over what he would have gotten.
He should already be set up for life at this stage.
It's just greed.

Imagine having to bring your family up in that place for a few years. How is that best for your family.
It's just pure greed and no self respect.

He is 32 not 35.
Instead he basically retires to live in a totalitarian state for the next few years for an extra few million over what he would have gotten.
It's just greed.

Imagine having to bring your family up in that place for a few years. How is that best for your family.

I suspect that he's getting paid brick loads for 18 months ahead of the World Cup there and then he'll move back to Belgium in January 2023.

I suspect that he's getting paid brick loads for 18 months ahead of the World Cup there and then he'll move back to Belgium in January 2023.

He's said that he wants his kids to go to school in Belgium and lead a normal life there. This is probably to compensate for the pay cut he'll take when he moves to a Belgian club

He is 32 not 35.
It's just greed.

Doubt there are many of any who would pay the fee

and this move gives him a rest before the World Cup

Back