• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I think it would be the best option for us. I think we’ve set the £25m too low and given that despite the fact that he’ll be 30 I could see a lot of PL teams thinking that that would be a price worth paying for 3-4 years of him.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
When the contract was written £25m wasn't too low. Things exploded north like no-one imagined afterwards.

FWIW ..I favoured him staying this season (because of our young cb's) and accepting that £25m was acceptable for a 30 year old Toby come summer 2019.
You have to remember we've probably saved £10-15m paying him brick money for 2-3 seasons, when clearly he deserved more.

When the contract was written £25m wasn't too low. Things exploded north like no-one imagined afterwards.

FWIW ..I favoured him staying this season (because of our young cb's) and accepting that £25m was acceptable for a 30 year old Toby come summer 2019.
You have to remember we've probably saved £10-15m paying him brick money for 2-3 seasons, when clearly he deserved more.

I'd take half of that brick money but I know what you mean

The sky article also says he was available for 25m last summer!

Does this mean the clause came into play last summer too but no one knew or we were willing to sell for 25m?

Both scenarios surely very unlikely!

Also during the 4 weeks next summer couldnt we play silly buggers much like pool did with suarez? I mean who wants a messy court case...

We can say 'we have recieved your offer but daniel is busy on the finishing touches of the new stadium and will get back to you in due course' :D

The article is wrong.

Wonder whether he'd actually decide to go in the summer or wait til the year after?

What I mean is a club would have to pay £25m to get him, whereas a year later he could walk for free. Lets say his market value the year after has fallen to £15m given his age. In theory he could ask for that £15m from a new club as wages given its a saving on a transfer fee - £15m is £100k pw over a 3 year contract

He's looked a bit more comfortable there than at LB this season, or at least the early part of this season. He's improved lately (at LB) mind.

Even with Davies playing as CB on occasion I think we should still go for De Ligt. I've watched him a few times now and what struck me is his maturity. He's well ahead of his years in terms of reading of the game and decision making. I'm not sure we even have a chance now as his stock is rising so fast and Barca is supposedly in the frame, but if there is a chance at all we should take it.

I agree i would love to see De Ligt sign for us, but i fear we may have missed the boat on that one and he will probably end up elsewhere. But as you say if there is a chance we should go for it.

Wonder whether he'd actually decide to go in the summer or wait til the year after?

What I mean is a club would have to pay £25m to get him, whereas a year later he could walk for free. Lets say his market value the year after has fallen to £15m given his age. In theory he could ask for that £15m from a new club as wages given its a saving on a transfer fee - £15m is £100k pw over a 3 year contract
But the longer he's on his current pay he's waving goodbye to £5m a year.

Not sure why he has not signed a new contract. Once his age goes beyond 30 and with his injury record his earnings capacity also decreases. If reports are to be believed he will have given up over 4 million pounds in wages by next summer. Big gamble to think that he will be the subject of a bidding war for his signature so he could name his price wages wise given he will still cost 25million. If he is the subject of a bidding war that could potentially raise the transfer fee we get for him.

My view of him has changed. I don't think it will be the end of the world if he goes assuming we get a decent replacement like De ligt. Toby is a very good defender with the ball on the floor, but for me his lack of aerial dominance compared to VVD, La Porte or Kompany, for example, is a big down side to his game. We still give away cheap goals from set pieces with him playing.

Not sure why he has not signed a new contract. Once his age goes beyond 30 and with his injury record his earnings capacity also decreases. If reports are to be believed he will have given up over 4 million pounds in wages by next summer. Big gamble to think that he will be the subject of a bidding war for his signature so he could name his price wages wise given he will still cost 25million. If he is the subject of a bidding war that could potentially raise the transfer fee we get for him.

My view of him has changed. I don't think it will be the end of the world if he goes assuming we get a decent replacement like De ligt. Toby is a very good defender with the ball on the floor, but for me his lack of aerial dominance compared to VVD, La Porte or Kompany, for example, is a big down side to his game. We still give away cheap goals from set pieces with him playing.

His replacement will cost twice as much as what we get for Toby, but will be younger and maybe a player with potential to be better than Toby has been

I think that he thought a rich club would move for him last summer and is still with us because they didn't.

I think that he thought a rich club would move for him last summer and is still with us because they didn't.

I agree

Everyone said he was fine and that’s generally fed via interested parties

This seasinnhe has been solid and held the defence together when you consider he has played with a different CB every game

Two seasons ago he was imperious and no one got near him but now he is about 10% less effective than then

Where has this Toby injury prone thing come from?

He was an ever present in his first season and played 30/38 league games the following season. Didn't play much last season and we all know it was at least partly for non football reasons and has, again, been an ever present this season while Vertonghen has been the one to spend almost half entire season injured.

He's still one of the best defenders in the league and his build up play is excellent. To think that there wouldn't be a line of clubs looking to sign him at £25 million, when we sold bloody Wimmer for £18 million, is not correct imo.

I just hope he will sign the contract tbh. I dread to think how the defence would have looked this season if he'd been injured or continued being benched.

He was an ever present in his first season and played 30/38 league games the following season. Didn't play much last season and we all know it was at least partly for non football reasons and has, again, been an ever present this season while Vertonghen has been the one to spend almost half entire season injured.

He's still one of the best defenders in the league and his build up play is excellent. To think that there wouldn't be a line of clubs looking to sign him at £25 million, when we sold bloody Wimmer for £18 million, is not correct imo.

I just hope he will sign the contract tbh. I dread to think how the defence would have looked this season if he'd been injured or continued being benched.

He’s still our best defender IMO. Many last season were saying Sanchez was already better than Toby but I suspect that was more down to his contract. If he had signed then I doubt anyone would have said that.

It has been unfortunate that Verts and Sanchez have been injured at the same time this season which has made Toby very important.

But last season we still finished 3rd, beat Real Madrid, Chelsea away etc without him playing much of a part. It showed he is not irreplaceable as many of us thought he was.

He is an excellent defender with the ball on the ground but, for me, that he doesn't dominate in the air defending his own goal, prevents him from being considered the complete defender. Perhaps that may explain why at almost 30 he has not established himself at one of the elite clubs. I also believe his reputation has been enhanced by playing in Poch's Spurs team.

At 25 million he could be a relatively cheap and quick fix. But it's interesting that despite being allegedly unhappy at being benched and failing to agree the deal he wanted with Levy, he also failed to secure a move away from Spurs. Suggests teams were not willing to pay the big bucks for him.

Will he be difficult to replace? Yes unless we spend serious money. But tbh we need to be doing that anyway given his and Vert's age. It would be good if he signs a new deal but I won't lose sleep if he doesn't. I am much more concerned about losing Eriksen.

Last edited:
He’s still our best defender IMO. Many last season were saying Sanchez was already better than Toby but I suspect that was more down to his contract. If he had signed then I doubt anyone would have said that.
I know it's opinions mate but I think Vertonghen is the best defender now. Nothing to do with contracts but rather we seemed to do fine without him. Plus we have hardly been water tight at the back with him playing this season. He is certainly not as dominant as a Van Dyke or Kompany. I don't believe he is as good as King was in his pomp.

Last edited:
I know it's opinions mate but I think Vertonghen is the best defender now. Nothing to do with contracts but rather we seemed to do fine without him. Plus we have hardly been water tight at the back with him playing this season. He is certainly not as dominant as a Van Dyke or Kompany. I don't believe he is as good as King was in his pomp.

We're doing fine without Vertonghen now too. We're 2nd in the table, having conceded 18 goals in 19 games. Last season we finished 3rd, having conceded...36 goals in 38 games.

I think its also worth mentioning that Alderweireld has been part of a very fluid backline this season (having played with 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice keepers) and has played in 5 different cb groupings in 15 games, which is insane. Not to mention the chopping at rb especially. I don't know exactly but I'd guess that Vertonghen and Sanchez mostly partnered each other last season or Vertonghen partnered with Alderweireld.

I don't see a big difference between the two tbh and I think they're both excellent defenders. I don't want to lose either and, I think as Jurgen has said, there has been a frostiness towards Toby from some of our fans since the contract impasse which has clouded to some extent how they view him.

Both are not quite as good as VVD imo, who this season has been an absolute rock in that Liverpool defence.

And yes, Alderweireld is not as dominant in the air as I'd like.

It has been unfortunate that Verts and Sanchez have been injured at the same time this season which has made Toby very important.

But last season we still finished 3rd, beat Real Madrid, Chelsea away etc without him playing much of a part. It showed he is not irreplaceable as many of us thought he was.

He is an excellent defender with the ball on the ground but, for me, that he doesn't dominate in the air defending his own goal, prevents him from being considered the complete defender. Perhaps that may explain why at almost 30 he has not established himself at one of the elite clubs. I also believe his reputation has been enhanced by playing in Poch's Spurs team.

At 25 million he could be a relatively cheap and quick fix. But it's interesting that despite being allegedly unhappy at being benched and failing to agree the deal he wanted with Levy, he also failed to secure a move away from Spurs. Suggests teams were not willing to pay the big bucks for him.

Will he be difficult to replace? Yes unless we spend serious money. But tbh we need to be doing that anyway given his and Vert's age. It would be good if he signs a new deal but I won't lose sleep if he doesn't. I am much more concerned about losing Eriksen.

It is unfortunate but it happens. I also don't think Sanchez is ready to consistently be the senior cb for a team looking to win trophies which shows the folly of those who would want Alderweireld to go and for us to stick with Vertonghen, Foyth, Sanchez and Dier. Any and all injuries to Verts and we immediately look a lot less stable.

Tbh, I've never gotten this line of reasoning. We have a good squad, we have an exceptional manager. We have coped with pretty much every single injury thrown at us, it doesn't mean that I'd be happy with Lloris, Alderweireld, Dier, Alli, Eriksen or Kane being sold or leaving. All o those players have been injured and we've always chugged along nicely. Ferguson sold Ronaldo for a world record fee and signed only Valencia. And because it was ferguson, they carried on winning titles, FA cups, the full works. But they would obviously have been better if he'd stayed and probably would have a few more CLs in their trophy cabinet.

Agree on the air part. I would also say pretty much all of our players are enhanced by playing with Poch's Spurs.

I think there are quite a few things it could suggest. It could suggest that the clubs who may want him think it easier to just bit £25 million this summer rather than have a frustrating window long negotiation with Levy over a likely £60-70 million asking price. It could suggest that Alderweireld thinks he'll be able to ask for higher wages if his fee is lower. It could suggest that Alderweireld still wants to stay and is looking to renegotiate. It could mean a lot of things. When people say nobody was in for him last summer, we don't know that. We don't know if we refused to sell, if he was that keen on moving, if he was agitating, if lots of stuff happened behind the scenes without us knowing. Modric spent an entire summer being chased by Chelsea without a word of Real only to go there next summer without much fanfare. Who knows?

I'm also much more concerned with replacing Eriksen. And I don't have faith in us replacing the 2 cbs if it came down to it with players of a similar quality straight away. We won't spend the required money to do so most likely, especially without selling someone first.

Back