• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

i dont understand why Southampton would bid 14 mill pounds, way above our accepted bid........i just think the press are causing mischief tbh

i dont understand why Southampton would bid 14 mill pounds, way above our accepted bid........i just think the press are causing mischief tbh

Perhaps to assuage Atletico's hurt feelings after the legal shenanigans they pulled earlier? It's very feasible that Atleti's chairman would likely require a higher bid from Saints than the one he accepted from us, as a way of 'assuaging' the blatant attack on the club's honor that publicizing that legal kerfuffle was.

Money buys Atletico's forgiveness, essentially. Either that, or they're hoping to influence Atletico to push Alderweireld towards St.Mary's: if Atleti get more money from a deal with Saints than they are likely to get from one with Spurs, they'll probably be in Toby's ear trying to get him to pick the former over the latter. It's what I suggested we should do just a couple of pages ago.

Does anyone think his signing is to play as a defensive midfielder rather than a cb. Otherwise why would we have 5 centre backs ? I was really hoping Eric Dier would be given a chance to push on this season.

More chance RB IMO. That's his secondary position, not CM.

If Walker and Yedlin don't have futures, him and Trippier may become our RBs.

I've mentioned before that I like Alderweireld, and I think that he'd complement Jan perfectly. However...Faz hasn't been all that bad for us, in all honesty, and it would be a mite cruel on him to let him go just when he's probably settling in, now ready for what the league has to offer after a season spent adapting to it. And I say that as a man who vehemently hated the bargain bin nature of both Fazio and Stambouli's signings last year.

If Alderweireld comes, I'll be delighted: if he doesn't, eh, not the end of the world.

And, as you've probably seen above, Sky Sports are reporting that S'oton have made a new 14 million pound bid for the guy. This will run, and run, and run, unless something big happens tomorrow (although given that the ITKs over on Skyscraper City are apparently pegging a big announcement on the stadium by both the NFL (via a press release) and Spurs as being due tomorrow, I don't think the club will want to clutter up the day by also announcing the Alderweireld signing, if we're really that close to finishing it).

I don't agree with that. To me they are too similar.

They are both cultured ballplayers, but average height and not particularly quick or strong. Both would be best alongside a physical CB. Note how Belgium never pair them for international football - they use Kompany and/or Vermaelen.

They are both cultured ballplayers, but average height and not particularly quick or strong. Both would be best alongside a physical CB. Note how Belgium never pair them for international football - they use Kompany and/or Vermaelen.

Belgium play their captain in his correct position (Kompany) and then due to having no decent full backs play Verts and Toby out of position. That has nothing to do with what you describe and purely a lack of options wide to date

We will have far too many CB's and I doubt Dier will accept a loan out anywhere nor would Wimmer. Look at Chavski, Terry and Cahill played the majority of their games, both in the cups and domestically with only Zouma coming in to cover and Ivanovic as their emergency cover.

Agree with the big man little man combination. In fact it could be that Toby is brought in to REPLACE vertonghen or at least keep him on his toes letting him know that if his form dips he will be on the bench. Toby is after all better on the ball than Jan so there's no reason why he can't partner fazio.

We will have far too many CB's and I doubt Dier will accept a loan out anywhere nor would Wimmer. Look at Chavski, Terry and Cahill played the majority of their games, both in the cups and domestically with only Zouma coming in to cover and Ivanovic as their emergency cover.

If we only had two-three centre backs, at least two of them would be injured within a week after the transfer window closed.

Agree with the big man little man combination. In fact it could be that Toby is brought in to REPLACE vertonghen or at least keep him on his toes letting him know that if his form dips he will be on the bench. Toby is after all better on the ball than Jan so there's no reason why he can't partner fazio.

From what I've seen Verts is the better ball player and Toby more of a stopper

Verts for me is up there with the best ball playing centre backs... It's when he switches off though we have problems

Toby is after all better on the ball than Jan
Euhmmmm, no? Where do you get this from?

They are both cultured ballplayers, but average height and not particularly quick or strong. Both would be best alongside a physical CB.

You are underestimating Alderweireld, he is quite quick for a CB, strong as well, he is not a giant like Fazio, but good enough in the air. They aren't as similar as you seem to think. They were very compatible for Ajax. As a pairing they worked very well with each other. Alderweireld is much more focussed on dealing with the striker all match, leaving Vertonghen free to do his thing.

Note how Belgium never pair them for international football - they use Kompany and/or Vermaelen.

They have played together in the centre for Belgium as well, not a lot, but they have. It has little to do with them apparently not being compatible, they are simply the standard full-backs and will only play at the centre in real emergencies. And the chances of both of them playing there at the same time are simply not that high, because Belgium have a lot of other CB's to pick before they go so far as to move Jan and Toby away from the full-back position.

CJYVyB5WUAAdR-q.jpg:large

They have played together in the centre for Belgium as well, not a lot, but they have. It has little to do with them apparently not being compatible, they are simply the standard full-backs and will only play at the centre in real emergencies. And the chances of both of them playing there at the same time are simply not that high, because Belgium have a lot of other CB's to pick before they go so far as to move Jan and Toby away from the full-back position.

This, they have a shortage of top FB's in the Belgium squad and Toby and Jan are the best of the CB's who can play there.

Back