• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Guardian a bit slow on things. He has agreed a 5 year contract and has had his medical according to most up to date reports. Also the part about telling friends he wants to join Spurs is old news, this was first said back in May

I think, Dubai, you have already hit upon your answer.

The reason why Saints fans froth at the mouth at any mention of Spurs and are not seemingly bothered so much by other clubs that have raided them is that they genuinely (and comically) do believe that they are as big as Spurs. But even they cannot delude themselves that they are as big as Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool. So they feel it less when those other clubs take their players. It doesn't shatter their illusion.

Hence the term South Coast Big Club.

Rupert Lowe, chairman when we got Hoddle from them: "We have a new stadium that is comparable with that of Tottenham's. We can fill it and we have great supporters. We finished two places above them last season. Who's the bigger club?"

If we have Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eriksen in the team and results don't go well, it may happen that we see Frank de Boer pressure falling on Poch's shoulders.

Does anyone think his signing is to play as a defensive midfielder rather than a cb. Otherwise why would we have 5 centre backs ? I was really hoping Eric Dier would be given a chance to push on this season.

Does anyone think his signing is to play as a defensive midfielder rather than a cb. Otherwise why would we have 5 centre backs ? I was really hoping Eric Dier would be given a chance to push on this season.

As I said earlier if we get him I believe he will play CB alongside Jan, however the fact that he can also play as a DM ( as well as a FB) then if Poch is unable to get another player in for CM then he may play there in some games.

Is five centre backs really that many when you consider how many games we have to play over the season? I think there's enough game time to go about. Kabouls probably going to have a spell on the sidelines at some point and I think Poch will want to introduce Kevin Wimmer into the team at a fairly slow place as well. If Kaboul gets injured then we can still play Aldi and Jan in the league and Dier + Fazio in the Europa.

Is five centre backs really that many when you consider how many games we have to play over the season? I think there's enough game time to go about. Kabouls probably going to have a spell on the sidelines at some point and I think Poch will want to introduce Kevin Wimmer into the team at a fairly slow place as well. If Kaboul gets injured then we can still play Aldi and Jan in the league and Dier + Fazio in the Europa.

I hope you have your players mixed up - Kaboul won't be anywhere near the team next season

I hope you have your players mixed up - Kaboul won't be anywhere near the team next season

Sorry, looking back it wasn't all that clear what I meant. I mean if Kaboul gets injured then there's a place available for Fazio to drop back to the Europa League squad and fit Aldi into the Premier League one without selling.

Though I do agree that losing Kaboul wouldn't be the biggest loss.

Sorry, looking back it wasn't all that clear what I meant. I mean if Kaboul gets injured then there's a place available for Fazio to drop back to the Europa League squad and fit Aldi into the Premier League one without selling.

Though I do agree that losing Kaboul wouldn't be the biggest loss.

I think what he was referring to was the five being verts, wimmer, dier, fazio and Toby

5 is still too many for me, CBs don't get injured that often, and you don't want to keep breaking up the partnership and understanding in the heart of defence.

I think five centre backs is one too many unless one of them is a youth player who only expects to play in emergency situation. Last season, Vlad was our fourth centre back and he rarely played as CB. I don't think Vert, Tobi, Dier, or Fazio will accept being this season's "Vlad."

His dad ('Vic' Alderweireld) is apparently now insisting that Alderweireld doesn't have an agreement in place with us or anyone else.

His dad, btw, is also apparently his agent.

Sigh.

Sky Sports now reporting that Southampton have gone back in with a £14m offer. I think they might've just been Levy'd.

Eh? `You mean this was all a sham, designed to force S'oton into paying more?

It'd be a nice 'f*ck you for Schneiderlin' if true, but I hardly think a) that they'll notice (after all, they will get their man if this hypothesis is true), and b) that it'll benefit us much, if it all: Atletico might be grateful, but certainly not grateful enough to give us their crown jewels, and Mario Suarez is hardly worth the fuss given how old he already is and how cheap he already seems to be.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced we even need this guy - wouldn't break my heart if we didn't land him.

Given my growing dislike for S'oton fans, it would definitely tinkle me off. Although given that I still do rate Fazio quite highly...I'd probably get over it quickly enough. As long as some other Belgian rocks up at the Lane come September, so that Belgian paper (Het Niuesblad, or whatever it was called) that drew the endearing '4 man rock band' cartoon can still get excited about Tottenham Hotspur, Fabrique en Belge. :p

He will improve our first XI, he would add to our squad, he adds pace and experience to our backline.

If you rate Fazio yet don't particularly rate him then I suggest you watch him next year (hopefully with us) and notice the difference he will make. My view is that Fazio will now become available - the fact Dier started over him during long periods of the season without experience (and at times form) suggests that Poch prefers Dier. He is a far better prospect and I don't see Fazio being 5th choice for us.

His dad ('Vic' Alderweireld) is apparently now insisting that Alderweireld doesn't have an agreement in place with us or anyone else.

His dad, btw, is also apparently his agent.

Sigh.

hahahahaha wtf is going on

He will improve our first XI, he would add to our squad, he adds pace and experience to our backline.

If you rate Fazio yet don't particularly rate him then I suggest you watch him next year (hopefully with us) and notice the difference he will make. My view is that Fazio will now become available - the fact Dier started over him during long periods of the season without experience (and at times form) suggests that Poch prefers Dier. He is a far better prospect and I don't see Fazio being 5th choice for us.

I've mentioned before that I like Alderweireld, and I think that he'd complement Jan perfectly. However...Faz hasn't been all that bad for us, in all honesty, and it would be a mite cruel on him to let him go just when he's probably settling in, now ready for what the league has to offer after a season spent adapting to it. And I say that as a man who vehemently hated the bargain bin nature of both Fazio and Stambouli's signings last year.

If Alderweireld comes, I'll be delighted: if he doesn't, eh, not the end of the world.

hahahahaha wtf is going on

And, as you've probably seen above, Sky Sports are reporting that S'oton have made a new 14 million pound bid for the guy. This will run, and run, and run, unless something big happens tomorrow (although given that the ITKs over on Skyscraper City are apparently pegging a big announcement on the stadium by both the NFL (via a press release) and Spurs as being due tomorrow, I don't think the club will want to clutter up the day by also announcing the Alderweireld signing, if we're really that close to finishing it).

Back