1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

To Dier is To Do (Doo)

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

He really is a poor CB.

nayenezgani likes this.
  2. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Jermaine Jenas

He wasn't always. I don't know what has happened to him, he seems to have lost all confidence.

Pirate55 likes this.
  3. Mulletperm

Mulletperm Clint Dempsey

Being right footed and playing in the left CB position is what the issue is.

Yermiyahu and 90291Spur like this.
  4. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Rafael Van Der Vaart

That bit where Mane closed him down for their second, he was over on the *right* side of the defense, with the ball on his *right* foot. It isn't him being played out of position, it's him being shaky at the back, which happens quite a bit too often for my liking (despite his youth affording him some leeway). Previously, we had Wimmer in good form, so we could keep Dier in midfield when Verts suffered his annual injury. But Poch has lost confidence in him, it seems.

papaspur likes this.
  5. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

I hate to say it but he deserves to be dropped. He's been off form for some time now. Today was just in keeping with his current run of poor form.

Pirate55 likes this.
  6. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

He should not play CB. Period.

7. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment John Lacy

Problem is with Verts out, Wimmer looking shaky and CCV not yet ready we don't really have decent back-up. Davies showed today he is just not up to it at LB so no point putting him in at CB either.

So maybe put Wanyama in alongside Aldereiweld and start Winks alongside Dembele at DM?

8. Raziel

Raziel Paul Robinson

Overeaction, Dier did not have a good game, but he doesn't hide, plays wherever we ask him.

System/tactics exposed him today, while I prefer him in the DM role, he's not a poor player.

wiziwig, Glenda's Legs, Robbo and 3 others like this.
  9. LCLC

LCLC Richard Gough

Another really bad display by him and overall it hasn't been the best of seasons for him. For me he would help himself ten fold if he stopped letting the ball bounce and stopped trying to look cool on the ball and inviting pressure when he could just be far more simple.

Today he was embarassing at times - be lost every header.

wiziwig likes this.
  10. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment John Lacy

No one's saying he's a poor player but his performances overall this season are at best mixed and certainly below what he would expect of himself. Agree he never hides and there were moments after his brainfart today when he produced some excellent last-ditch tackles that saved us going further behind, so credit to him for that.

But whereas last season at DM he was outstanding throughout, this time round at CB he has been at times shaky and unpredictable. So maybe he would benefit from a break, allow him time to take stock, rediscover his focus and come back all the stronger.

11. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

I think he's fine in a back 3, but not in the middle of a back 4.

Robbo, SteveAWOL, Pirate55 and 3 others like this.
  12. 90291Spur

90291Spur Chris Perry

And not having played a ton of games at CB doesn't help either.

StephenH likes this.
  13. Robspur12

Robspur12 Edgar Davids

Neither Dier nor Davies should be blamed for today. We lost because our lack of proper organization. They should not have been isolated against the pacey Liverpool attack.

14. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

I think Dier may have played more games than anyone else this season. Isn't he just about an ever present, even in weakened cup teams. He needs a complete rest to get his Mojo back. He looked tired and leggy to me against Liverpool - so much so that I asked during the game whether he may be ill.

Think we should have gone for an extra centre back in the Jan window, especially if we intend to go three at the back regularly.

Yermiyahu likes this.
  15. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Chris Perry

I still can't believe we let West Ham get Fonte for £8m. The guy has played so well for Poch before. And he's played with Alderweireld.

16. metalgear

metalgear Jimmy McCormick

i doubt that verts would have coped well with that high line and mane charging in. poor call by poch, it didn't suit our boys at all.

17. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Jonathan Woodgate

I disagree with you. If I was playing Spurs, the CD I would press would be Dier. He has this need to bring the ball down before playing it and he is slow to get rid of it. I used to think it was his confidence but no I don't think so anymore. The second goal was all on him. He is also poor at concentration. He is a brilliant tackler aye but poor focus and dilly dallies on the ball. Wimmer should be allowed to fight for that position. It is unfair to him if Dier starts the next match. Even against Wycombe Dier was dire.

papaspur likes this.
  18. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

He is not playing as well as he can ( but he is not the only one), he could probably be rested for a game or two but with Jan and Rose missing i doubt he will be.

Robbo and Bedfordspurs like this.
  19. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Rafael Van Der Vaart

So was Wimmer, though. In fact, that's why Poch seems to have gone off Wimmer a bit.

20. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Jonathan Woodgate

Wimmer's poor performance is understandable considering his lack of match fitness. He is not getting enough time at Spurs and I dont blame him if he throws a sissy fit and asks to be played or be allowed to leave.