• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

The really puzzling thing about Dier is how many people on here were saying he is a bacon sandwich at the club after only a handful of games last season. We actually did ok and barely conceded a goal whilst he served his suspension for going into the stands. I think a lot of people were desperate for him to prove himself as the best CB at Spurs and doubled down on that opinion only until very recently now I think the penny has dropped that he’s mediocre. Toby doesn’t have the legs anymore but he’s still 1000% a better defender than Dier, it’s just his body is letting him down. Father Time is undefeated unfortunately.

Sanchez + Toby was our best pairing after the restart but Jose has a hardon for Dier for some reason

He is a thousand miles behind Daws mate.

Cheers mate.

My thoughts on Dier, he's a central midfield square-shaped peg, being squeezed into a central defender round-shaped hole. Get him as far away from our back four as possible, as soon as possible. I never disliked him in central midfield. He was good, an England regular but in defence it's a completely different skillset and he's learning on the job, badly, which we don't have time for.

It's not just tonight's performance, it's every game, he's winging it. He doesn't know how to position himself when we're being pressured. Yes he's strong, hard, brave but he has zero tactical knowhow. If Jose goes down like it's looking, Dier will be the main player he messed up on. Costs us points every other week and heavily contributes to the shakiness of our back four/five.

The really puzzling thing about Dier is how many people on here were saying he is a bacon sandwich at the club after only a handful of games last season. We actually did ok and barely conceded a goal whilst he served his suspension for going into the stands. I think a lot of people were desperate for him to prove himself as the best CB at Spurs and doubled down on that opinion only until very recently now I think the penny has dropped that he’s mediocre. Toby doesn’t have the legs anymore but he’s still 1000% a better defender than Dier, it’s just his body is letting him down. Father Time is undefeated unfortunately.

Couldn’t agree with this more. Except maybe that I personally think most people are continuing to underrate Toby. He might not be at his peak, but IMO he’s still good enough to be starting for us.

Agree, from what I’ve seen Toby and Rodon are our best CBs....

I’d actually put Tanganga above Rodon personally - I don’t know if people are forgetting about his performances because he hasn’t played for a while? Or am I remembering them as being better than they were? From what I remember Rodon has already made more mistakes than Tanganga in their respective gametime.

I’d actually put Tanganga above Rodon personally - I don’t know if people are forgetting about his performances because he hasn’t played for a while? Or am I remembering them as being better than they were? From what I remember Rodon has already made more mistakes than Tanganga in their respective gametime.
Tanaganga did look very promising but poor lad seems to have caught Sicknoteitis from Lo Celso and gets injured every time he plays.

Possibly. I can't say I've seen anything from Tanganga to make me think he's going to be a PL player. IMO he's too short for a CB and too slow to be a FB.

Couldn’t agree with this more. Except maybe that I personally think most people are continuing to underrate Toby. He might not be at his peak, but IMO he’s still good enough to be starting for us.

At least we know how good Toby once was in that position, he's just getting on and has lost some mobility but he knows how to defend and read the game.

Dier is, and has been terrible for most of the season and his mistakes are continually costly leading to goals. Should never be a starting CB in a top 8 PL team.

Hopefully Rodon and Toby next game but given Jose will ignore every mistake Dier makes and continually pick him, I don't hold out any hope

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I'm also finished with defending Dier. I suspect the manager is pretty close to it as well, given he'd dropped him for the previous game (only to find those who replaced him were equally as bad).
I think Mourinho has misjudged the ability of several players in the squad prior to his appointment. The first thing he did was restore DIer to DM and once he proved he no longer had the legs to perform that role he's been shifted back to defence. I think its been perfectly acceptable to given him nearly a year to see if he could master the centre half position and while he's shown some promise, nothing can compensate for a lack of pace/mobility and the inability to cut out stupid mistakes. Those mistakes were being made when he was part of a back 3 in 16/17 and why he was never trusted in just a pair. They are still there now just with less mobility. We'll have to muddle through to the end of the season with these partnerships, but no doubt we'll see more chopping and changing until someone plays into form.

If any sort of reasonable bid comes in, in the summer he should be gone imo. Same with Sanchez and Toby. We should sell 2 out of 3 of them. I'd accept keeping one of Toby or Dier but never as first choice. We need to spend big money at centre half.
There is interest from Belgium/Holland in Toby.
Sanchez had Ajax sniffing around him - I'm still amazed we didn't take the money and run even at a loss.
Dier should fetch £20-30m on reputation alone.

Levy needs to recalibrate player valuations in this current market otherwise we'll be stuck with sub-par players for a very long time.

What was so typical Dier last night, as he was on the floor he kicked his own foot ,then deflective up onto Werner heel, who then did the most typical thing a German player does, throw his arms up in the air and pretends he's been pole axed by Anthony Joshua!! Unlucky yes but why go to ground in the first place, why let Werner roll him....basic defending skills.

If the ref wasn't going to give it most probably VAR may have.

I still remember towards the beginning of the season when several posters were putting Dier in a small and elite group of our title-winning caliber players, alongside the likes of Kane and Son. Found it bizarre and unfounded then, and so it has proven.

I still remember towards the beginning of the season when several posters were putting Dier in a small and elite group of our title-winning caliber players, alongside the likes of Kane and Son. Found it bizarre and unfounded then, and so it has proven.

I think he showed some leadership ability and people thought Jose could turn him into a Terry style player but sadly he doesn't have the leadership we need nor anywhere near the ability of Terry.

Dier looked jumpy and panicked just like the rest of the team. Son did the same when shooting. They all look uptight and nervous.
Digging any single player out is a bit lame.

Sorry but in the evidence of the last two weeks both players are awful
Their ain’t much in it.
Toby can’t jump and is defending really static and flat
Dier let’s the ball beat him and is making costly poor decisions Every game
Both IMO need to go
People remember good Toby playing he with jan. he is a long way from that

At least we know Toby has a track record of being a top defender. Dier doesn’t. Toby has the instinct and knows how to read the game. It’s just his body letting him down at this stage.

And plenty were saying he would be our next captain. As if purely by saying it over and over would make it come true.

At least we know Toby has a track record of being a top defender. Dier doesn’t. Toby has the instinct and knows how to read the game. It’s just his body letting him down at this stage.
Had
Not has
He was brilliant
Now... he is passed it
It’s super slim pickings now
What I will say is if Jose can’t get a.

Had
Not has
He was brilliant
Now... he is passed it
It’s super slim pickings now
What I will say is if Jose can’t get a.

When I asked before I think you only mentioned two specific Toby mistakes - his OG vs Leicester, and his part in the goal vs Wycombe. I don't think the first was really his fault. Help out my memory people - what are the other mistakes he's made this season? I seem to notice far more from every other defender than him (and Reguilon). I agree he's no longer at his best, but I think he's very clearly still our best CB - and good enough for a top 4 team for now.

Back