• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

It was a disaster of a piece of defending in conceding that penalty. Beaten for pace, then made a stupid Aurier style challenge. The sort of challenge a midfielder playing in central defence might make.

Have to disagree with him when he says the decision to tackle was wrong. He had to make a challenge or Lukaku was scoring, he chose the wrong tackle.
Disagree. There's one player in the box and it's not like he's wide open. Lukaku it's powering down towards the touchline on his weaker foot. I don't think he gets around Dier there if he stays on his feet.

Dier had two or three options, none of them good ones.

Lukaku played it well by throwing his body into Dier the moment he saw him go to ground.
I agree that none of the options are all that good. Staying on his feet, keeping Lukaku facing the wrong way is the safer option.

If he thinks he can win the ball that's fine. Sliding in in a situation like that you should be fairly confident about getting the ball. He probably was.

He can be a good defender for us in the right system, especially in the right of a 3. But yeah bad challenge for the penalty.

Still think the fans are harsh on him.

He can be a good defender for us in the right system, especially in the right of a 3. But yeah bad challenge for the penalty.

Still think the fans are harsh on him.
I suppose that's part of the problem. We need him to be good as the left sided centre back in a 2.

Agree on harsh, but at the same time he needs to step up.

Disagree. There's one player in the box and it's not like he's wide open. Lukaku it's powering down towards the touchline on his weaker foot. I don't think he gets around Dier there if he stays on his feet.

Look at the angle, he had half a yard to hit it across the keeper before Dier could even think about blocking it. Someone with Lukaku’s ability only needs half a yard to hit that with his right.

The problem positions in the team remain at RB where at the moment there is no clear first choice and both CB’s who are Jose’s first choice pairing but neither have been good enough so far. Going forward we have no problems barring injuries. Reguilon looks very good so far and clear first choice. In midfield we have good options we just need to decide what’s the best formation to get the best out of the choices we have. Personally I think a 3 of Hojbjerg, Lo Celso and Ndombele is the best option.

The problem positions in the team remain at RB where at the moment there is no clear first choice and both CB’s who are Jose’s first choice pairing but neither have been good enough so far. Going forward we have no problems barring injuries. Reguilon looks very good so far and clear first choice. In midfield we have good options we just need to decide what’s the best formation to get the best out of the choices we have. Personally I think a 3 of Hojbjerg, Lo Celso and Ndombele is the best option.
I don't think the competition at RB is a problem. It is beautiful

That said I think we have need of better CBs. Can Sanchez, Tanganga, Dier, Foyth develop to close the gap. Only time will tell.

I don't think the competition at RB is a problem. It is beautiful

That said I think we have need of better CBs. Can Sanchez, Tanganga, Dier, Foyth develop to close the gap. Only time will tell.
The thing with the centre backs is 3 of them have signed new contracts under Mourinho’s tenure this year, so it would seem that Sanchez would have been the odd one out if we did get an upgrade. Maybe there is quite a bit of hope that Tanganga will establish himself this season, with Dier as the senior partnership. I’m still hopeful of seeing improvement due to Mourinho’s reputation for organising defences and it does seem we haven’t give one pair an extended run of consecutive games for a while.

Back