1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

To Dier is To Do (Doo)

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Barry Daines

I’m fully aware of how xG works. Whether it’s “accurate” is subjective really.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2020
  2. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Doesn't seem like you are going by your other post.

'Should' have scored 3 or 4 more on top of the 7 goals they did score, 10 or 11 goals in one game of football - truly that performance must have been the pinnacle of the modern game if they should have scored that many over 90 minutes as you never see a score line like that, like ever... even the 7 they did score is an irregularity. How often have Liverpool, City, Chelsea or ourselves (when flying) pulled off score lines like that over the last few years? Off the top of my head nothing leaps out. Could it be that the chances that you think should be reflected as a 1 in xg in reality aren't actually that high which is he reason why we don't regularly see games with those sorts of scorelines?

Regardless you seem to accept earlier that shots against is a valid measure of how a defence is doing but the more refined Xg stat which attempts to sort the 30 yard hit and hopes from the gilt edged one on ones isn't- which doesn't really make sense as it shows how many big chances a defence us giving away, whether you agree with the metrics or not.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2020
    Kandi1977 likes this.
  3. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Barry Daines

Shots on goal can be slightly misleading if the team are just taking pot shots from outside the area. xG is far more subjective. Anyone watching that game last week will tell you villa should have scored more than 3.35 goals which is what xG worked out they should have scored. I’m hardly alone in being critical of xG really. It’s true sometimes teams score 6 or 7 when every shot seems to go in but I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples where xG has underestimated how many goals a team should have scored. Honestly, I feel like I could write “COYS I love Spurs” and you’d find a way to disagree somehow :D yeah but WHY do you think that? Doesn’t seem like it computes with the metrics from your previous posts.

aaaaanyway back to Dier. He’s been slightly better this season but going forward I don’t think he’s the answer unless he keeps improving.

4. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Chris Perry

xG doesn't record all the chances just shots.

The likes of Gazza's famous extra time chance against Germany in Euro 96 wouldn't be recorded by xG.

Bishop and Jurgen the German like this.
  5. billyiddo

Seems to me a lot of people who dismiss xg (and from your postings so far i would believe you fall in to thus category) tend to get too hung up on the numbers - an xg of 3 or 4.whatever for Team A should be looked at as a performance where a lot of goal scoring opportunities were created, not that Team A should have scored 3 or 4 goals only in the match.

braineclipse likes this.
  6. billyiddo

No other stat would record that missed chance either afaia and with the point initially being that Shots Against is a less accurate measure of the level of chances a defence is conceding than Xg, then I'm not sure what the relevance is?

braineclipse and Kandi1977 like this.
  7. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Paul Stalteri

Statistical given my lifestyle and weight I should have died about 10 years ago. I'm gutted I want what that bloke on the TV ads is getting that £3k will be really handy when I'm dead.

parklane1 likes this.
  8. parklane1

parklane1 David Ginola

Please do not start giving stat junkies another useless stat to toss over, XG fools enough of them as it is. ;)

9. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Mauricio Taricco

Define uneducated?

10. billyiddo

Never new Lukaku was so fast :eek:

11. milo

milo Jürgen Klinsmann Staff Member

[​IMG]

12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

He’s always been fast but never had the touch needed
    TBF he has always played for counter attacking sides here

13. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Jimmy McCormick

So, conceded another peno against Lukaku. Didn't see it, so was it a fair cop?

If so, I'm a bit concerned that he seems to give them away all the time.

If not, ah, well. Napoleon's adage about lucky generals springs to mind - he's not bad, just singularly unfortunate, all the time.

14. billyiddo

Was a fair pelanty Lukaku, done him for pace and then Dier dove in bringing him down

DubaiSpur likes this.
  15. Bullet

Bullet Ian Walker

Scara posted links to educate you, which you ignored.

16. billyiddo

He posted a 5 year old link that said Dier reached 35km/h in a one off sprint at one point that season - don't think that has much relevance regarding whether Dier is a particularly quick defender or not, when things like acceleration over short distances and agility have a much greater importance than top speed.

Bishop and DubaiSpur like this.
  17. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Ian Walker

18. Bullet

Bullet Ian Walker

The links confirmed that Dier hit 35kmh which matches almost everyone else in the division. He might be slower or faster 5 years on, I don't know. But to suggest he is fast is not laughable. I agree acceleration and agility are important but that wasn't what I was discussing.

19. Yiddo

Yiddo Steve Carr

Have to disagree with him when he says the decision to tackle was wrong. He had to make a challenge or Lukaku was scoring, he chose the wrong tackle.

20. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

It was a pen
    But lukaku did lean into him when being tackled to fall over. Reminded me of Kane vs the Greek lad at arsenal last season when he did the same thing and got nothing... but this was clearer as Dier slid when he didn’t need to

DubaiSpur and scaramanga like this.