• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood…not treated with the respect a headmaster is.

Jurgens are a better explanation though.... with the added bonus of explaining the tactics in 4 easy to read sentences. I'll apologise on his behalf though for missing AVB's 5th directive of pushing the defence up to the halfway line, irrespective who the opposition are or that our central defenders have no pace and the turning circles of large oil tankers. A tactic only made all the more baffling by the inverted wingers and advanced full backs so that the only two players in the defence with any pace are rendered useless when the opposition break and exploit the huge space behind our defence.

Sorry mate I missed the 5th directive

Anyway, back to Sherwood. Good luck! Did a reasonable job but not quite good enough.

Let's get someone who ALL the fans can get behind. So leaves Sir Alex Ferguson and........... no wait that's it.

Hmm but you failed to mention leaving slow defenders on the halfway line with 50 yards of space for the other team to run into and the goalkeeper having to bail out the defence time and time again.

I know it's hard for you and GB to admit he failed but one day you'll see the light.

That's what a sweeper keeper does. It's not bailing out any more than Sandro tackling in the middle of the pitch or a winger taking on their man - it's what he does.

I think AVB's downfall was firstly a lack of off-the-ball movement, IMO this has been a problem with our team since the early 90s. Barring the odd top player (Berbatov, Modric, Bale) our players are very static off the ball, and that doesn't sit at all well with a possession style. I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it (if I did I'd be throwing gilets around the touchline at WHL), but it's been a problem for a long time and AVB wasn't able to fix it in his short time here.

The problem here is that AVB's very rigid tactics meant that we would only be successful if our players displayed fantastic movement, allied with great touch, vision and also patience. We didn't really posses any of those attributes. I think it's important for a manager/coach to have a preferred style of playing, but I also think it is important for the coach to adapt that to his playing personnel and impose his style of play gradually as they bring in the right players to fit their tactics and coach the existing ones to fit them. AVB demonstrated first at Chelsea and then at Spurs that he was unable to do this. For me, the final straw was when he played a high defensive line at home to Liverpool with Dawson and Capoue as his two central defenders. I can remember thinking "this bloke gets paid about 3 or 4 million quid a year to do this"

That's what a sweeper keeper does. It's not bailing out any more than Sandro tackling in the middle of the pitch or a winger taking on their man - it's what he does.

The problem here is that despite having the best 'sweeper keeper' in the World we were still exposed time and time again. He also used to use the same tactics in Europa League games with Friedel in goal. Now Friedel has been a good servant to the club and in his prime was a very good keeper - but a 'sweeper keeper' he was not.

The "Sweeper keeper" was designed by a manager looking for excuses to cover up the fact that his defenders were too slow to cover runs made into the massive space behind them due to pushing upfield too far.

I just find it ironic that he's supposedly this brilliant coach who empathises attacking football but the opponent's always ended up creating more chances than we did despite us dominating possession as a result of the high line and his refusal to NEVER adapt depending on the opposition such as Liverpool who have pace and creative players that like to dominate the final third. Even somethjing as simple as maybe defending 20 yards deeper never dawned upon him.

Timmeh got a bit too much stick, I think, but in the end, he didn't do himself any favors with some of his comments. Was always going be an interim-solution, unless we of course made the Champions League - so business as usual. Will be exciting to see how long we wait before appointing someone now.

If people want to criticise AVB's tactics can we all please take it to some kind of tactics thread.

You're all ruining my ridiculing Timmeh thread, thanks.

If people want to criticise AVB's tactics can we all please take it to some kind of tactics thread.

You're all ruining my ridiculing Timmeh thread, thanks.

As I've said before. It ended up with the best possible outcome for you, no more manager Tim and no more technical Tim. All at the low cost of half a season that probably wouldn't have ended up any better anyway...

Let's all ridicule him but lets not forget his record, had he been in charge for 38 games rather than 22 at had the same win ratio it would have netted us 74pts, our highest ever tally.

He wasn't perfect, or even right for the job, but he got the job done.

Let's all ridicule him but lets not forget his record, had he been in charge for 38 games rather than 22 at had the same win ratio it would have netted us 74pts, our highest ever tally.

Completely hypothetical assumption about the win ratio. He was an embarrassment in the media. Good luck to him though, the job was too big for a first appointment. Rentford Rejects would be more in line for him

It was the easiest league in recent memory. 13 (arguably 14) really crap teams. 78 easy points.

Anyway, back to Sherwood. Good luck! Did a reasonable job but not quite good enough.

Let's get someone who ALL the fans can get behind. So leaves Sir Alex Ferguson and........... no wait that's it.

He did a **** job...see everyone can have a total lack of objectivity just like you

In fairness that’s a bit like me saying had I picked 6 different numbers saturday I would be a millionaire ?

He may have lost all 16 of the other games he may have won the lot
Avb might have gone unbeaten for the remainder of the season had he not quit/sacked

It was the easiest league in recent memory. 13 (arguably 14) really crap teams. 78 easy points.

So how comes his almighty predecessor couldn't do it against the same teams then ?

You can't have AVB was great, Tim was ****,when against the same teams, with the same players, Tim's record was significantly better.

It is though, it's totally different. If Sandro or the winger misses his tackle the attacking player still has to get through the rest of the back four to score. Sweeper keeper misses his tackle and its a goal every time. Either that or a pen and your down to 10 men.

I'm certainly not against a high pressing game, but just pointing out that there is a pretty fundamental difference.

It is though, it's totally different. If Sandro or the winger misses his tackle the attacking player still has to get through the rest of the back four to score. Sweeper keeper misses his tackle and its a goal every time. Either that or a pen and your down to 10 men.

I'm certainly not against a high pressing game, but just pointing out that there is a pretty fundamental difference.

He's only the last resort in the same was as a striker is the last resort going forwards.

Everyone on the pitch has a role, that's a major part of his. Aside from a couple of games where it really went to **** it worked (and I know we've had this discussion before about preferring to lose 2 matches 6-0 than losing 6 2-0).

Back