• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I know what you mean. I fell asleep when we had got it back to 2-2, woke up and looked at the Guardian's football page to see we had won. I barely managed a 'ha...cool' before going on to do something I was far more interested in.

Like write on a football forum??
Dont see how you can have time and interest for that, yet not be bothered about the game,and fall asleep when we have just come back from two goals down??
like most of us I've well and truly had enough of this season and become numb to the heavy defeats but yet i find it impossible to turn away….like watching a car crash!

Mirror running a slightly different version compared to the Mail

Levy now has a decision to make on the job with Van Gaal in demand elsewhere and Tim Sherwood under pressure from fans following the 4-0 defeat at Liverpool. But Mirror Sport understands that an auction for Van Gaal’s services would rule out a move to White Hart Lane and see Sherwood backed into next season.

Although there is a growing clamour among Spurs fans for the experienced Dutchman to be drafted in, Spurs still want to support their current boss .

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-louis-van-gaal-bid-3320134

The rumours that Levy is even thinking of keeping TS beyond this season is worrying me :(

Relax people!

Are there any quotes, even from a 'source'?

This is just Tim's media mates giving him back a favour...

Mirror running a slightly different version compared to the Mail

The rumours that Levy is even thinking of keeping TS beyond this season is worrying me :(

It's just the old boys' club doing what they do, I wouldn't worry.

The ****rag journos writing these articles are the same ones that realise they might have to start working for a living and writing interesting articles once their pet dinosaurs die out. They know (much like the managers they support) that they are outwitted and outclassed by the new generation of football journalist who is happy to write about the technical side of the game as well as go digging for stories.

They can't just sit around scratching their arses waiting for the summer to roll around so they can do 'Arry's tapping up for him anymore and will do whatever they can to keep the status quo.

If Levy dared to keep Sherwood, he'd have the majority of fans against him, and that could end him.

Surely not.

I don't think it's all down to either manager. In reality neither has had anywhere near enough time or backing to get the success they would want because it doesn't happen instantly. Yet for some reason Levy thinks it will. The lack of a coherent strategy is the reason.

Levy acts like this when he fires, for example, the Head of Partnerships on the business side because she wasn't bringing in the deals. That's fine, fair enough. There's probably, maybe, someone out there that could do a better job closing leads and if there isn't, no point keeping someone in the job who isn't up to it anyway. But he seems to take this philosophy into the football side too, when near enough every example of a successful club shows a manager that has been backed and given a bit of time. The other successful ones had lottery wins. Very rarely does a club just employ a manager and see instant success, certainly not in this climate where we've got 4 teams ahead of us that can easily outspend us, and another two that are now far better coached and technically accomplished because they back their managers.

Neither AVB or Sherwood had a chance of being successful in the environment created for them this season.

As long as ENIC's unwavering corporate mentality holds sway over the club, though, and business imperatives trump everything else, this is what we'll have to endure. There'll be an obsession with modular solutions; with quick fixes; with models merely having to be scaled to be universally applicable. The heady successes of circa 2010 will mean Levy now considers himself a domain expert as well, and any number of failures won't likely convince him otherwise, because they'll always be someone else's fault. Football clubs, and the art of football management have more of the alchemic about them, though. One size does not necessarily fit all and, with apologies to Einstein for quoting him out of context, one should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler. I don't believe someone like Levy will ever truly understand that.

As long as ENIC's unwavering corporate mentality holds sway over the club, though, and business imperatives trump everything else, this is what we'll have to endure. There'll be an obsession with modular solutions; with quick fixes; with models merely having to be scaled to be universally applicable. The heady successes of circa 2010 will mean Levy now considers himself a domain expert as well, and any number of failures won't likely convince him otherwise, because they'll always be someone else's fault. Football clubs, and the art of football management have more of the alchemic about them, though. One size does not necessarily fit all and, with apologies to Einstein for quoting him out of context, one should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler. I don't believe someone like Levy will ever truly understand that.

=D> (Where's the Like button?)

As per the Mirror article above, why can't we build a team from the academy/youth like United's Class of '92, or as Southampton do? Unlike Southampton though, we could hang on to our Bales, Oxes, Walcotts and Shaws, and wouldn't have to sell until Madrid started making £65m bids. Supplement these players with a smattering of senior players, the odd big signing, and youth brought in (ie poached) from elsewhere. Worked for Fergie.

So, using the names in the Mirror article, we end up with a squad that looks less like what we have now, and more like:

Butland (new)
Archer

Caulker
Vlad
Walker
Rose
Naughton
Fryers
Experienced CB (new)
New LB (new)

Livermore
Carroll
Eriksen
Lamela
Bentaleb
Chadli
Sandro
Dembele
Llalana (new)

Kane
Soldado
Ade
Benteke (new)

...or whatever. Clearly whether the likes of Rose and Livermore are up to it is in question, but in general terms there is definitely a very different and not altogether unexciting idea in there.

Levy retaining Sherwood and green-lighting something like this would require stones made of, well, stone. Very hard stone indeed. He should troll the fukk out of everyone and do it. BIG SUMMER ANNOUNCEMENT: SHERWOOD STAYS AND LIVERMORE IS COMING BACK! Line up for those season tickets now!

As per the Mirror article above, why can't we build a team from the academy/youth like United's Class of '92, or as Southampton do? Unlike Southampton though, we could hang on to our Bales, Oxes, Walcotts and Shaws, and wouldn't have to sell until Madrid started making £65m bids. Supplement these players with a smattering of senior players, the odd big signing, and youth brought in (ie poached) from elsewhere. Worked for Fergie.

So, using the names in the Mirror article, we end up with a squad that looks less like what we have now, and more like:

Butland (new)
Archer

Caulker
Vlad
Walker
Rose
Naughton
Fryers
Experienced CB (new)
New LB (new)

Livermore
Carroll
Eriksen
Lamela
Bentaleb
Chadli
Sandro
Dembele
Llalana (new)

Kane
Soldado
Ade
Benteke (new)

...or whatever. Clearly whether the likes of Rose and Livermore are up to it is in question, but in general terms there is definitely a very different and not altogether unexciting idea in there.

Levy retaining Sherwood and green-lighting something like this would require stones made of, well, stone. Very hard stone indeed. He should troll the fukk out of everyone and do it. BIG SUMMER ANNOUNCEMENT: SHERWOOD STAYS AND LIVERMORE IS COMING BACK! Line up for those season tickets now!

How about the exciting idea of a manager who has some experience of management and strategy coming in to TEACH and COACH our players both young and old?
Sherwood is learning (if that's what it can be called) on the job; why would any prospects want to sign to play for him?
A manager is always learning, but the balance of learning and teaching has to be at a certain percentage for your plan to even be viable.
Fergie had YEARS OF EXPERIENCE as a manager before the class of '92 came along and HE MOULDED THEM.

Butland (new)
Archer

Caulker
Vlad
Walker
Rose
Naughton
Fryers
Experienced CB (new)
New LB (new)

Livermore
Carroll
Eriksen
Lamela
Bentaleb
Chadli
Sandro
Dembele
Llalana (new)

Kane
Soldado
Ade
Benteke (new)

Brave... But Tim is gone... Only chance he has got is if he win all but one of the games left... And then still it would be brave

How about the exciting idea of a manager who has some experience of management and strategy coming in to TEACH and COACH our players both young and old?
Sherwood is learning (if that's what it can be called) on the job; why would any prospects want to sign to play for him?
A manager is always learning, but the balance of learning and teaching has to be at a certain percentage for your plan to even be viable.
Fergie had YEARS OF EXPERIENCE as a manager before the class of '92 came along and HE MOULDED THEM.

I give you Jacques Santini, Juande Ramos, Glenn Hoddle, George Graham, David Pleat, Martin Jol, Christian Gross, Andre Villas Boas...

I give you Jacques Santini, Juande Ramos, Glenn Hoddle, George Graham, David Pleat, Martin Jol, Christian Gross, Andre Villas Boas...

All of whom are far more qualified to do what you suggest than TS, who doesn't seem to have a plan B or want to sit in a dugout any more

All of whom are far more qualified to do what you suggest than TS, who doesn't seem to have a plan B or want to sit in a dugout any more

And not really had more success, apart from maybe the fan favorite gorgeous George graham and that Spanish dude.

Last edited:

And not really had more success, apart from maybe he fan favorite gorgeous George graham

Don't forget Ramos. What hope with Tim, who has been working with far better squads than most of those predecessors and still presided over some shocking performances (both on and off the field).
I'm all for a youthful/academy base but you have to have the progressive coach who can MOULD and TEACH to go with it for it for it to be worth it

Fine, let van Gaal or Ancelotti do it then. Sherwood wasn't really what I was talking about, although I accept this is the Sherwood thread!

Don't forget Ramos. What hope with Tim, who has been working with far better squads than most of those predecessors and still presided over some shocking performances (both on and off the field).
I'm all for a youthful/academy base but you have to have the progressive coach who can MOULD and TEACH to go with it for it for it to be worth it

I think we agree that Tim is not the answer, and I doubt that he will be here come the new season.... But liverpool's Rodgers experiment has not turned out to badly ... And he was on the end of a couple of thrashings last season.

Tims gone, but I do think with the right coaching staff he will make a decent manager.

Back