• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood Testimonial OMT Spurs v Aston Villa 11th April

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
Villa boss Tim Sherwood is given his much anticipated testimonial against former side Spurs at White Hart Lane next Saturday. Spurs' season finished following a 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford last month meaning that all remaining games, including today's at Burnley, are being played in the style of a testimonial.

Fortunately for the neutrals Villa need the points so there will be at least one set of fans and players with something tangible to play for.

Last season the two sides met on the final day of the season with Sherwood taking charge of Spurs for the last time. First half goals from Paulinho, Baker own goal and Adebayor saw Spurs run out comfortable winners. The only incident of any note in the second period was an outspoken fan being invited, by Sherwood, to the touchline to don the infamous gillet (or 'life preserve' to Biff's associates in Back to the Future) dictate team matters temporarily.

Spurs come into this game in 6th position level on points with Liverpool. Joking aside a 5th (or likely 6th place finish depending on the FA Cup winners) would secure qualification to the Europa League directly into the Group Stage rather than having to enter into the 3rd qualifying round, of which the 1st leg is on 30th July, which the team who finish 7th will have to do. What level of motivation this provides to a tired looking Spurs team remains to be seen.

Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen could well be back for Spurs. We would assume that Poch will 'shuffle the pack' in attack after a lacklustre performance at Turfmoor today.

Villa, lurking just above the drop zone but with recent wins against Sunderland and West Brom to generate some confidence, will know whether they will meet Liverpool or Blackburn Rovers, in the FA Cup Semi-Final and this could act as an added energiser or a distraction at White Hart Lane. They made a decent fist of their game at Old Trafford yesterday but ultimately came away with a 3-1 defeat. Under Sherwood Villa have played with a more offensive set up looking to get Weimann, Agbonlahor and Benteke causing problems. Spurs old boy Alan Hutton is likely to be starting at right back.

This will be the first time in 2 years that Spurs have had successive home league games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday.

COYS

Last time out: Villa 1 (Weimann) -2 Spurs (Chadli, Kane) - 2 Nov 2014
Last time at WHL: Spurs 3 (Paulinho, Baker OG, Adebayor (pen) - 0 Villa - 11 May 2014

Recent form: Spurs have won 10 and drawn 3 of last 13 games against Villa in all competitions. Villa's last victory over Spurs was in Sept 2008 (2-1 at White Hart Lane)

From the archives:

Nov 1994: Spurs 3-4 Aston Villa
It was the same day that the National Lottery was played for the first time and Spurs had a new manager in Gerry Francis. Francis had taken over from Ossie Ardiles whose idealist football had won many hearts but not many points. The new manager picked a far more cautious side dropping Barmby to the bench and Dumitrescu from the matchday squad but watched on as Spurs conceded three goals in the opening 30 minutes (Dalian Atkinson and Graham Fenton 2) before the Lilywhites pulled level in the second half through Sheringham, Klinsmann and Barmby. However, Villa had the last laugh when Dean Saunders - a regular thorn in the side for Spurs - netted a late winner.
Spurs: Walker, Kerslake (Nethercott), Mabbutt, Calderwood, Campbell, Anderton, Popescu, Caskey (Barmby), Howells, Sheringham, Klinsmann
A Villa: Bosnich, King, Barrett, Ehoigu, McGrath, Richardson, Parker, Houghton, Atkinson (Lamptey), Fenton, Saunders

Villa 2 Spurs 0. Timmy to salute goalscorer Agbonlahor from the sideline then invite the Poch to manage Villa for the remaining 10 minutes.

If we win it will be all about how Sherwood found half these players and made them who they are today and if they win it will be about how we made a mistake letting Sherwood go and that we would be competing for the league this season.

I hope we hammer them so hard that its the fatal blow in their relegation battle

W 28-0 - one for every match we had to endure with that cretin at the helm

not sure about this one, Villa really need the points. Sherwood had two wins over Poch last season too

a 3-2 draw

Written in the stars for Timmy to inflict a scathing loss upon the hand that once fed him, endearing him to his new fans. Then Kane leaves in the summer to reunite with the hand that once made him.

Scoring game for sure, I suspect this will go the way of who takes their chances (and there will be a few on both sides).

Actually glad on the timing, for once we don't get the side 1-2 games into honeymoon period.

If we go with the same line up as last time out we will be lambs to the slaughter. OK that is an exaggeration but we really need to shake things up as the last two outings have been tame.

If we go with the same line up as last time out we will be lambs to the slaughter. OK that is an exaggeration but we really need to shake things up as the last two outings have been tame.

Would be tempted to play

--------------------------------Paulinho --------Bentaleb -------------------------------------

Lamela ------------------------------------------------------------------------------Townsend

-------------------------------------------Eriksen-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------Kane----------------------------------------------------

Would be tempted to play

--------------------------------Paulinho --------Bentaleb -------------------------------------

Lamela ------------------------------------------------------------------------------Townsend

-------------------------------------------Eriksen-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------Kane----------------------------------------------------

I'm glad that you are not our manager

Would be tempted to play

I think we had a spell of good form a while back with the AM trio of Lamela-Dembele-Eriksen behind Kane so I'd be tempted to try that again.

I'm glad that you are not our manager

:)

Very unimpressed by Mason's and Chadli's recent outings; both seem very much off the boil. So who do we have for the two wide positions except those two.

Plus there is only one position for Eriksen in my book - central

SACKABLE offence if Poch loses this; Levy will joking with Poch saying exactly that (with his tongue firmly in cheek, but fingers crossed behind his back...)

We should play guess the Sherwood soundbite before the game. I'll go for one of the following:

1) "Well look at his points tally, he aint done better than me so it just shows you how hard it is for English managers to get top jobs"
2) "Their fans will probably want to send me a thank you card; without Kane's goals they'd probably be lower than us in the table"
3) "I beat him twice last season; you can see the obviously weak spots and i'll be looking to do that again for a nice hat-trick"

We should play guess the Sherwood soundbite before the game. I'll go for one of the following:

1) "Well look at his points tally, he aint done better than me so it just shows you how hard it is for English managers to get top jobs"
2) "Their fans will probably want to send me a thank you card; without Kane's goals they'd probably be lower than us in the table"
3) "I beat him twice last season; you can see the obviously weak spots and i'll be looking to do that again for a nice hat-trick"

Or - This game has no significance to me beyond the three points at stake. The fact I am the most successful Spurs manager in history means nothing to me, the fact all these youngsters got their chance when I was in charge means nothing to me, the fact this club owes it's entire history to me means nothing to me. It's just anuvvah game, innit?

Back