• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Three In And Three Out, Who Will It Be?

There is a very large Levy-associated danger with waiting and assuming action will occur later on, but that's beside the point: if something's possible in January, we should try and make it happen in January.

Not talking about waiting for the sake of it, just letting the new recruitment guy go through are squad and any future purchases with a fine tooth comb like he did at Southampton. Yes if a player that will defiantly improve us comes for good money (wages and fees) then brilliant. But i just don't want us spending for spending sake.

Out is much more than 3 if we want any incomings with our bloated squad.

Out - Capoue, Kaboul, Adebayor, Naughton, Ceballos, Paulinho

In - A proper beast of a 9, a Matic

Out :
Lennon 7m
Adebayor 5m
Naughton 5m
Ceballos 1m

In:
Bony 20m
Yedlin 2.5m
Pritchard return

Then Kaboul, Paulinho and Capoue to go in the summer probably followed by another approach for Schneiderlin.

Id be sad to see Lennon go but think his time is up. Would love to see Pritchard back in the squad with him, Lamela, Chadli and Townsend all competing for the two wide positions. Although if we got Bony as well then Eriksen would probably play wide too with Kane to the number 10.
Think it gives us good balance and options.

We need a backup for the number 10 spot. The current backup for Eriksen are Paulinho and Dembele. Both is no good in that position. That is assuming that Kane is now the de facto number 9.

Out:
Capoue
Lennon
Kaboul

In:
Yedlin
No 10
Right-footed left winger

Squad after the window

Right back:
Walker
Naughton

Left back:
Rose
Davies

Centreback:
Vert
Fazio
Dier
Chiriches
New CB

CM:
Benteleb
Mason
Dembélé
Stambouli
Paulinho

Right winger:
Lamela
Townsend
Yedlin (I see him more of an attacking player at least in his first half season)

Left winger:
Chadli
New left winger

No 10:
Eriksen
New player

CF:
Kane
Soldado
Adebayor

In depay (show him the DVD of yesterday)

Out
Lennon
Paulinho loan (although it may collapse after masons injury)
naughton (loan to buy at end of season)

Are people still rating Depay on the WC or do they follow dutch football and have been watching him since?

I watch a bit of Dutch football he has been quite amazing when I've seen him. Better than what he showed at World Cup.

I watch a bit of Dutch football he has been quite amazing when I've seen him. Better than what he showed at World Cup.

Agreed from what I have seen

He looks the real deal and exactly what we need

He reminds me of the calibre that Modric was at where we signed avery highly regarded foreign player for a high fee but under the noses of bigger sides

He would IMO smash this league up like Robben did when he was at Chelsea

He also gives me the impression that he is looking for a stepping stone move

I should add though that I thought Lamella would be a perfect signing to replace Bale and I've been miles wrong there

Agreed from what I have seen

He looks the real deal and exactly what we need

He reminds me of the calibre that Modric was at where we signed avery highly regarded foreign player for a high fee but under the noses of bigger sides

He would IMO smash this league up like Robben did when he was at Chelsea

He also gives me the impression that he is looking for a stepping stone move

I should add though that I thought Lamella would be a perfect signing to replace Bale and I've been miles wrong there

I think he might step over us unfortunately. Chelsea need a new midfielder this week I believe.

Whoever we get in needs to improve the team NOW. We have many young players with potential. We need a solid, experienced core of CB to replace Kaboul, CM to replace Capoue and CF to replace Ade. That is all.

Whoever we get in needs to improve the team NOW. We have many young players with potential. We need a solid, experienced core of CB to replace Kaboul, CM to replace Capoue and CF to replace Ade. That is all.
Arguably we have already replaced Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor with Fazio, Bentaleb and Kane.

Arguably we have already replaced Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor with Fazio, Bentaleb and Kane.

True. But those 3 have not featured at all, even when our fixture list has been super congested. Suppose one shouldn't draw early conclusions, but if they're not even in the match day squad today then they're essentially not in our squads. Although Kaboul has been on the bench a couple of times I suppose.

Central midfield Bentaleb and Stambouli replacing Capoue and Sandro, that makes sense. Sell Capoue, no issue. Squad is fine. Although we're relying very heavily on Mason and Bentaleb and an upgrade on for example Paulinho would be much welcomed.

Up front though. Kane has become first choice, but if Ade is completely out of it we only have two recognized strikers. Kane can play perfectly fine as a #10, Soldado is so far primarily shooting blanks. Another striker, or even two, would be a good idea.

At the back Fazio replaced Dawson in the squad. We do have 5 centre backs in Fazio, Verts, Dier, Vlad and Kaboul. Sell one, be left with 4 would not be disastrous. But none of Dier, Vlad and Kaboul have been consistent performers for us in recent memory. We have the numbers, but do we have the quality? We would be much stronger with Moreno I think, and he could easily replace two of those 3 in the squad and we'd be fine.

It is always the right time to bring in young players with potential.

Dier this summer, along with the 3 academy lads. Seems like very good business. Something we should keep up.

True. But those 3 have not featured at all, even when our fixture list has been super congested. Suppose one shouldn't draw early conclusions, but if they're not even in the match day squad today then they're essentially not in our squads. Although Kaboul has been on the bench a couple of times I suppose.

Central midfield Bentaleb and Stambouli replacing Capoue and Sandro, that makes sense. Sell Capoue, no issue. Squad is fine. Although we're relying very heavily on Mason and Bentaleb and an upgrade on for example Paulinho would be much welcomed.

Up front though. Kane has become first choice, but if Ade is completely out of it we only have two recognized strikers. Kane can play perfectly fine as a #10, Soldado is so far primarily shooting blanks. Another striker, or even two, would be a good idea.

At the back Fazio replaced Dawson in the squad. We do have 5 centre backs in Fazio, Verts, Dier, Vlad and Kaboul. Sell one, be left with 4 would not be disastrous. But none of Dier, Vlad and Kaboul have been consistent performers for us in recent memory. We have the numbers, but do we have the quality? We would be much stronger with Moreno I think, and he could easily replace two of those 3 in the squad and we'd be fine.
I agree. I think that we need reinforcements and players better suited to Poch's methods in January but I do not think that they need to be first choices when they arrive.

The only exception I can see to this is the right inside forward position but I think that we should give Lamela and Townsend until the end of the season to claim the position.

I agree. I think that we need reinforcements and players better suited to Poch's methods in January but I do not think that they need to be first choices when they arrive.

The only exception I can see to this is the right inside forward position but I think that we should give Lamela and Townsend until the end of the season to claim the position.

I agree with all of that.

Bentaleb, Mason and Kane have given us so much. One of those things is the option to be somewhat patient with players we bring in now in January (assuming we bring in anyone). But I do think we rather desperately need options for them.

I'd not be at all unhappy if we didn't sign anyone for the starting 11 for even the next two windows

My thinking on priorities at the moment is:
1) A versatile forward to provide cover for Chadli at LWF and as a 3rd CF
2) A 4th quick-transitioning CM to complement NB, RM and BS
3) A 4th CB to complement FF, JV and ED

So yes - it's basically giving Poch options for his system to make good that, for footballing and non-footballing reasons, a good 6-9 players just don't fit any more.

I'd not be at all unhappy if we didn't sign anyone for the starting 11 for even the next two windows

My thinking on priorities at the moment is:
1) A versatile forward to provide cover for Chadli at LWF and as a 3rd CF
2) A 4th quick-transitioning CM to complement NB, RM and BS
3) A 4th CB to complement FF, JV and ED

So yes - it's basically giving Poch options for his system to make good that, for footballing and non-footballing reasons, a good 6-9 players just don't fit any more.
I mostly agree with you other than on your first point. If we lose Kane then our team is seriously in trouble in terms of goals from the centre forward position (unless Pochettino can somehow get Adebayor firing again?).... We desparately need to replace Soldado as second choice CF (or even bring in a first choice CF and revert Kane to the number 10 position) If we end up doing this in the summer then so be it, but we cannot go past then with only a single decent number 9 option at the club.

I still think it is the perfect time to bring Berahino in. I think he and Kane could be the perfect partnership up front. He is the right age, has the right quality and, while we might have to pay £4 or £5 million over the odds for him now, it would guarantee securing him, strengthen us for the run in and we could also offer a few player sales/loans to WBA as a sweetener.

For your other two positions it would seem to me that we could probably get Delph and Moreno this January for decent fees due to their contract situations. Capoue and Naughton/Chiriches out would probably result in a transfer profit as well as improving the squad.

Last edited:
Back