• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This summer if we don't make CL...........

From a balance point of view losing Modric may not be a devastating loss. I have often wondered whether you can have two out and out wingers in a four man midfield with Modric as a long term viable option. When Scholes emerged at Utd, it was the same time Beckham emerged so Utd changed their style. I don't think Scholes could've been as effective in a midfield with two out and out wingers for example.

If you play two out and out wingers in a 4-4-2 then locking up the centre with two defensive midfielders is an option as long as you have that deeper lying forward pulling the strings. I think you also need a strong forward who can lead the line. The wingers are then the key because they have to get up and support the attack. It's a few years ago but it's still valid today and we've proven it can work in the modern era with the right players but consider this....

VDV (Cantona) - Ade (Hughes)
Bale (Giggs) - Parker (Keane) - Sandro (Ince) - Lennon (Kanchelskis)

Would be a very balanced side, a real threat going forward and also tough to beat. As long as we keep the others, there could be life after Modric. The key to the above is that the wingers have to chip in with their share of goals. I think Kanchelskis was Utd's top scorer in that formation in one season.

That and the formation above was from 1994/95 season when United won fudge all though.
I really dont think Parker and Sandro offer the goal scoring threat from the middle United always had.

If anything managing a domestic football team is easier than managing a international team. You'll be hard pressed to find a successful international manager that failed at club level. Whereas there's load of successful club managers that couldnt do international management.

Bilic isn't going react by thinking "oh brick! i've got so much extra time to work with players, what do i do?" or "ffs i can buy players now instead of making do".

Regardless if we don't take him (and he wants the job) someone else will, and i've no doubt he'll be a success wherever he goes.

Actually I think intl football is much easier. As you only have a select group of players you dont have many options to explore, you talent pool dictates the way you play.

As you spend only a short time with the players you cant afford deep tactical input, you need to keep it simple and make sure they all understand.

So far as management is concerned I would venture International is a damn sight easier than domestic.

Compare to domestic football where essentially you have almost any option available to you. You have the players every day so can make them anything you want them to be, you have the ability to buy for bespoke needs and so can employ any system of your choosing. The players arent born into wanting to succeed for the club, you need to manage their motivation. You have 9 months with them solid, and need to keep them at peak the whole time....

Basically there are endless possibilities to get it wrong.

As I said, I think Bilic looks like he could be a very good club manager, but there is no way on earth I think he is good enough to cut his teeth at a club like Spurs. If he goes somewhere lower down and proves himself I would be all for it - but not before

Actually I think intl football is much easier. As you only have a select group of players you dont have many options to explore, you talent pool dictates the way you play.

As you spend only a short time with the players you cant afford deep tactical input, you need to keep it simple and make sure they all understand.

So far as management is concerned I would venture International is a damn sight easier than domestic.

Compare to domestic football where essentially you have almost any option available to you. You have the players every day so can make them anything you want them to be, you have the ability to buy for bespoke needs and so can employ any system of your choosing. The players arent born into wanting to succeed for the club, you need to manage their motivation. You have 9 months with them solid, and need to keep them at peak the whole time....

As I said, I think Bilic looks like he could be a very good club manager, but there is no way on earth I think he is good enough to cut his teeth at a club like Spurs. If he goes somewhere lower down and proves himself I would be all for it - but not before

West Ham?

I dont get how International management is easier because you're more limited.
If you want to you can use the same limitations at Club management. You can decide no to buy anyone. You can decide to only give tactical instruction every month.
But no one does this as these are disadvantages.
Ask Louis Van Gaal about International management. He won all before him at Ajax and Barcelona and then couldn't even get Holland to the World Cup.

Because your limitations restrict what options you have available, essentially making many of your choices for you.

The club limitations you show are silly examples to prove the point. At the end of the day though the only real restriction (in as much as being a hinderance) is finance at club level, otherwise everything is possible for you - your decisions (many thousands more than you make at Intl level) shape EVERYTHING

Back