• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This summer if we don't make CL...........

If we did sell Modric, I would like for us to use the cash to perhaps get in Sigurdsson or Eriksen and Vertonghen

I wasnt talking about money, I was talking about players. Harry has the best Spurs squad Ive seen in my time as a fan.

The CL run was excellent, but it has happened before - unfancied side goes on a cup run...

Actual, tangible achievements over Jol? Not much IMHO.

If we did sell Modric, I would like for us to use the cash to perhaps get in Sigurdsson or Eriksen and Vertonghen

If don't qualify for the CL and we lets players like Modric go. We're gonna struggle to get in quality players.
All our money needs to go on a striker and a centre half.
There's no way Vertonghen would choose us if we don't get CL.

Any money we get on Modric will be wasted on Europa League/mid table quality players.

The issue I have right now (apart from some obvious squad weakness) is that this team, as it stands, should be capable of so much more.

Im convinced a more thorough manager, who would coach these players and instill a pattern of play could be much more successfull that Harry without spending anything.

We have the makings of a fabulous side, it just needs a couple of tweaks and a lot of organising

Personally I think if we don't get CL. Bilic would be the answer. A manager with potential like that will keep the squad together.

I like a lot about Bilic, but wouldnt for a second consider Tottenham as an appropriate place for his first club position

He has a lot more experience than Guardiola had when he took over Barcelona.
We have no chance of getting a Mourinho or Hiddingdong figure. And the players aren't gonna want to stick around for Moyes or Rogers.

He has a lot more experience than Guardiola had when he took over Barcelona.
We have no chance of getting a Mourinho or Hiddingdong figure. And the players aren't gonna want to stick around for Moyes or Rogers.

Firstly, bad example with Guardiola. While he didnt have club management experience he has been bred into that role. Barca through and through at all levels - I dont imagine he would have been anything like as successful at any other club.

Secondly, I see nothing in Bilic to suggest he has any more "pull" than those mentioned. He has done a decent job at Intl level. He was never a great player, Im not sure that he has any reputation to speak of outside of Croatia.

i think we can make it to cl.we are better than d arse yesterday.have you see the way they playing against city? horrible.

i think the CL is overrated, as is paying brickloads of wonga to overhyped players

lets get back to midtable, a team of journeymen, the odd potential superstar for a year or two that we can buy cheap, fatten up, and sell them on for a killing

life used to be fun as a Spurs fan, trying hard but ultimately failing. There used to be joy

Life at the top is cold, its lonely, its cruel.

Firstly, bad example with Guardiola. While he didnt have club management experience he has been bred into that role. Barca through and through at all levels - I dont imagine he would have been anything like as successful at any other club.

Secondly, I see nothing in Bilic to suggest he has any more "pull" than those mentioned. He has done a decent job at Intl level. He was never a great player, Im not sure that he has any reputation to speak of outside of Croatia.

Once Modric stays, Bale will do the same.
As for doing a 'decent' job he got a record of w40 d12 l8 with Croatia.
That 2.2 points a game. Over a 38 game season that would be 83.6 points in the league (more than united got last season).
He has an unbelievable record with a country with a population of just over 4m.

Once Modric stays, Bale will do the same.
As for doing a 'decent' job he got a record of w40 d12 l8 with Croatia.
That 2.2 points a game. Over a 38 game season that would be 83.6 points in the league (more than united got last season).
He has an unbelievable record with a country with a population of just over 4m.

Do you believe for a second intl football and domestic football are anything like the same thing?

He has a very talented squad with Croatia, has them playing some lovely football and has done very well. I certainly meant nothing negative by "decent", even if you decided to take it that way.

Doing what he has done with Croatia though does not mean he can do it at club level, its an entirely different game requiring different skills altoghether.

Im not against Bilic joining the club in time, I do believe he has a lot of potential - but no way would I think giving him the job now is a good idea at all. He would need to prove himself at club level first.

From a balance point of view losing Modric may not be a devastating loss. I have often wondered whether you can have two out and out wingers in a four man midfield with Modric as a long term viable option. When Scholes emerged at Utd, it was the same time Beckham emerged so Utd changed their style. I don't think Scholes could've been as effective in a midfield with two out and out wingers for example.

If you play two out and out wingers in a 4-4-2 then locking up the centre with two defensive midfielders is an option as long as you have that deeper lying forward pulling the strings. I think you also need a strong forward who can lead the line. The wingers are then the key because they have to get up and support the attack. It's a few years ago but it's still valid today and we've proven it can work in the modern era with the right players but consider this....

VDV (Cantona) - Ade (Hughes)
Bale (Giggs) - Parker (Keane) - Sandro (Ince) - Lennon (Kanchelskis)

Would be a very balanced side, a real threat going forward and also tough to beat. As long as we keep the others, there could be life after Modric. The key to the above is that the wingers have to chip in with their share of goals. I think Kanchelskis was Utd's top scorer in that formation in one season.

Do you believe for a second intl football and domestic football are anything like the same thing?

He has a very talented squad with Croatia, has them playing some lovely football and has done very well. I certainly meant nothing negative by "decent", even if you decided to take it that way.

Doing what he has done with Croatia though does not mean he can do it at club level, its an entirely different game requiring different skills altoghether.

Im not against Bilic joining the club in time, I do believe he has a lot of potential - but no way would I think giving him the job now is a good idea at all. He would need to prove himself at club level first.

If anything managing a domestic football team is easier than managing a international team. You'll be hard pressed to find a successful international manager that failed at club level. Whereas there's load of successful club managers that couldnt do international management.

Bilic isn't going react by thinking "oh brick! i've got so much extra time to work with players, what do i do?" or "ffs i can buy players now instead of making do".

Regardless if we don't take him (and he wants the job) someone else will, and i've no doubt he'll be a success wherever he goes.

Back