• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This striker that we are looking for thats going to solve all our problems

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
Am not so sure thats actually the underlying source of our attacking issues

here is a question. Would defoe score more goals, less goals or the same number of goals at arsenal as he does here?

another one, how much money is it truly worth to get someone that we are looking to , in reality, get about 5 more goals than our best scoring strikers have had in each of the last 2 years.....is that level of difference truly loud enough for us to say that our striker are absolutely brick? We seem to say this every year.....possibly because its true dont get me wrong

but i'm starting to think that the desperation for a striker is not necessarily all that we need. And push come to shove..we could do a hell of a lot worse than defoe and an Ade that seems to have found some confidence and form in the tail end of last season.

Is the striker really going to solve all our problems? or is there something else, inherently deeper, thats the root cause of our misfortunes in attack

here is a question. Would defoe score more goals, less goals or the same number of goals at arsenal as he does here?

another one, how much money is it truly worth to get someone that we are looking to , in reality, get about 5 more goals than our best scoring strikers have had in each of the last 2 years.....is that level of difference truly loud enough for us to say that our striker are absolutely brick? We seem to say this every year.....possibly because its true dont get me wrong

but i'm starting to think that the desperation for a striker is not necessarily all that we need. And push come to shove..we could do a hell of a lot worse than defoe and an Ade that seems to have found some confidence and form in the tail end of last season.

Is the striker really going to solve all our problems? or is there something else, inherently deeper, thats the root cause of our misfortunes in attack

Levy is that you?

There are better strikers out there than Ade and Defoe which to me suggests that we will do better, if we have said striker in place of Ade or Defoe.

Five goals can win us five games i.e. 15 points - enough to have finished higher than we had. Also this is five goals directly from the striker, but what about high contributions too which could also add another five to 10 goals. Combined - youre starting to talk about title winners.

I do not want Ade at this club pure and simple. Dont really care what others think. I wouldnt ever employ someone who was as unreliable as he was and who took the fudgein biscuit. I would take a hard stance on him.

We could do a hell of alot worse than Ade but we could do a hell of alot better too and id rather focus on the 'hell of alot better' view point as that is what will get us up the ladder and beyond.

this

the tactics, the system, style of play is not conducive to creating chances. Plus we dont have a final third playmaker, a creator , a schemer who is able to unlock defences

the strikers are starved of service.

If you look at the lack of intelligent movement of our strikers it's clear we can do better. They are so bloody static it is no surprise it looks like they lack service. There's no point passing to a player who's standing flat-footed next to a defender.

I agree Africanspurs. Ade and Defoe were admittedly poor but we were not a side who were creating clean cut chances like the first half of the year before. I think we are not set up to be a free scoring side right now.

this

the tactics, the system, style of play is not conducive to creating chances. Plus we dont have a final third playmaker, a creator , a schemer who is able to unlock defences

the strikers are starved of service.

Fairly sure, that behind Liverpool, we created the most chances in the league last season. The issue is we aren't clinical enough. So I think a new striker would help.

good post African and gets you thinking - in answer to your question I think defoe would score more goals if he played for arsenal not a massive amount more but they do tend to smash teams when we don't.

In answer to the second question its worth whatever it takes and is financially acceptable for us to get in a better quality striker....but the crucial point is that we need more than 2 strikers..... ade and defoe were both rushed back from injury and were tired at times last season...I think they would have both done better being fresher from rotation...I still believe we need 4 strikers.... but yeah we need a striker with decent movement...badly....its crucial to us to smash teams occasionally and not be behind our rivals with goal difference.

Ade & defoe are not as bad as people make out but we do need to try (even though its hard) to better them.

we need more goals from a striker and a player that can unlock a defence......I really believe Carrol ,sig and holtby can be those players so no need to buy imo..... holtby I really believe will show us what a cracking little player he is next season.

We are scoring goals but were to reliant on bale........that is worrying and we need more goals not from just the lone striker but also from midfield and mr lennon needs to score more.....also we could do better at set pieces/free kicks/corners.

Defoe would get around the same number of goals at Arsenal, however the number of goals Arsenal get would suffer. They rely upon a striker who can hold up the ball and get involved with all round play. That is not Defoe in the slightest. If you stuck Defoe in a lower table team then yes, he would quite possibly get more goals.

An additional 5 goals would likely have increased our points total by more than one point, which would have seen us qualifying for CL football for the past two seasons. So yes, 5 more goals would have made a world of difference. Truly brick? Nah, in Ade's Loan season he was a great striker for us. Last season he was truly brick because that's how he played.

What we don't need is a play maker. You can do perfectly well without one, people just seem to like that they play 'pretty' football.

We could do a lot worse than Defoe and Ade, I agree. Sometimes they're unfairly treated on here and by Spurs fans in general I think.

We could also do a lot better than both of them though.

I don't think a new striker like Benteke will be the solution to all our attacking problems any more than signing Verthongen ended our defensive problems, but a better striker will bring us one step forward - incremental improvement.

Fairly sure, that behind Liverpool, we created the most chances in the league last season. The issue is we aren't clinical enough. So I think a new striker would help.

A striker to get on the end of the many crosses we got into the box only for Ade or Defoe to not bother going for you mean?

You're spot on with your post.

I may be wrong but this isn't how I remember last season at all..

Pot-shots from 30 yards don't count as chances (unless it's Bale taking them, of course).

I may be wrong but this isn't how I remember last season at all..

Pot-shots from 30 yards don't count as chances (unless it's Bale taking them, of course).

I agree with you and I think the shots showed that we were the team that scored the most from long range.

We had real problems creating clear cut chances against hard working well organized teams.

We've been missed a creative player with some vision in midfield since Modric and VDV left. Holtby was the great hope when he joined.

We are still going to struggle to break down team sitting deep playing for a draw unless we sign that play with a creative spark.

I don't think there are many who think a striker will solve all our problems but it's a position that needs improving more than most. CM and a wide/Wing forward have also been on most peoples lists since the season finished

What we needed with the style we played last season was a Johnny-on-the-spot type player who could make clever little darting runs to snaffle the second ball in the box and score the scruffy goals. We haven't had that since Keano was in form. We've also been crying out for someone who will really attack the ball in the box. I'm not sure Benteke will provide the former, but I'm fairly confident he can do the latter. On the other hand, perhaps Holtby will calm down a bit this season and relax into the role he was presumably brought in for, and between himself and Carroll, we'll find ourselves sorted in the lock-picking department and start to see more output from the rest of the strike force as well.

What we needed with the style we played last season was a Johnny-on-the-spot type player who could make clever little darting runs to snaffle the second ball in the box and score the scruffy goals. We haven't had that since Keano was in form. We've also been crying out for someone who will really attack the ball in the box. I'm not sure Benteke will provide the former, but I'm fairly confident he can do the latter. On the other hand, perhaps Holtby will calm down a bit this season and relax into the role he was presumably brought in for, and between himself and Carroll, we'll find ourselves sorted in the lock-picking department and start to see more output from the rest of the strike force as well.

Dempsey scored more scruffy goals for us than I remember for some years.

To answer/discuss points raised by others in this thread, The major issue was JD absolutely went off the boil, and was blowing one-on-ones with aplomb, whilst all too often, neither he or Ade could attack different areas of the box even when playing together! The amount of great crosses I remember which needed a front post run and a central run yet ACTUALLY got two static players doesn't bear thinking about. We also hit the woodwork over 20 times last season, the most (I believe) we have done for some seasons.

Our forwards (and I include Lennon in this) just dont show enough in attack. No movement, no cleverness, no intent, no trickiness and not nearly enough GOALS. Bale was too often our only source of inspiration up front. We need some new strikers desperately. 5 more goals a season is likely to make all the difference.

Back