• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This current teams vs Harry's 2011/2012

Robspur12

John Lacy
2 seasons ago we have had a starting 11 of

Friedel
Walker
Dawson/Kaboul
King
BAE
Lennon
Parker
Modric
Bale
VDV
ADE

Was that as good as it gets - as some posters said at the time "a golden age" for spurs?

or can the current team be as good?

LLoris
Walker
Dawson/Kaboul
Vertonghen
Rose
Lennon/Townsend
Paulinho
Dembele
Sigg
Eriksen
Lamela
Soldado

2 seasons ago we have had a starting 11 of

Friedel
Walker
Dawson/Kaboul
King
BAE
Lennon
Parker
Modric
Bale
VDV
ADE

Was that as good as it gets - as some posters said at the time "a golden age" for spurs?

or can the current team be as good?

LLoris
Walker
Dawson/Kaboul
Vertonghen
Rose
Lennon/Townsend
Paulinho
Dembele
Sigg
Eriksen
Lamela
Soldado

Can be. But we'll just have to wait and see. The balance of Harry's team was almost perfect. When we were good we were very good. But today had me very excited. The youth, exuberance and talent out there today and throughout the squad is really something to get excited about

It's close, there's definitely a couple of names in the 11/12 side that I miss. As a combined team from that I think I'd take:

Lloris
Walker
King
Vertonghen
BAE
Paulinho
Modric
Bale
Eriksen
VDV
Soldado

not sure about the balance of the team but have just gone with fitting all my favourites in, reserving judgement on Lamela as he's not been given a proper run out yet.

Last edited:
The big difference is squad depth. Harry's team was brilliant, but he ran them into the ground because the subs werent of high enough quality.

Yup, I think squad wise we're in a LOT better shape. I also think Lamela can prove to be on a par with VDV.

Im not even going to compare.

Harrys team was great, we played great football and we had some top names, but depth wise we weren't that good at all. I am much more happier with the squad of players we have now and I wouldnt be able to tell you a starting eleven, I can tell you a starting eleven that I'd prefer but I wouldnt be able to guess what eleven we'd put out and I like that.

Funny, we were talking about this at the match. Best 11 and football I've seen, but this is a better squad. This squad will take us further than that 11 ever did.

We've lost Luka Modric, Rafael van der Vaart, Ledley King and Gareth Bale from the team under Harry.

But we've gained players like Jan Vertonghen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Hugo Lloris, Lewis Holtby and the Magnificent Seven under AVB.

Overall, I'd have to say we are far stronger now than we were two seasons ago.

Im not even going to compare.

Harrys team was great, we played great football and we had some top names, but depth wise we weren't that good at all. I am much more happier with the squad of players we have now and I wouldnt be able to tell you a starting eleven, I can tell you a starting eleven that I'd prefer but I wouldnt be able to guess what eleven we'd put out and I like that.

I don't think many wanted to start with Siggy yesterday and who would have thought Townsend would be so good?

I can't wait to see Andros against bottom half teams away from home.

first eleven wise it's pretty close - although atm we're still talking on paper really as nobody knows how the new signings will really do for us, potentially i think we're better, but at the same time we'll have a lot more competition for the top 4/3 this season than in 11/12 where Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were all well below what they usually are - this season the top 6 are as even as they have been in a long long time.

think we'll be more consistent with this team - no 10 game runs of relegation form, but we'll be sacrificing the attacking flair and style that Redknapp extracted from the them at their peak - a fair trade off imv

The turnover of players over the last 2 seasons has been extraordinary. It's hard to believe how much quality has come and gone. However, except for Bale and King I think everyone from Harry's team is has now been replaced. The other key factor is whether AVB is a better manager than Harry. I certainly like the way he conducts himself better.

Our current team is far better imo. I think that because IMO, Eriksen will be better than VDV was, Lamela will be better than Bale was two years ago (his last season at Roma was better than Bale's season in 2011/12), Sandro/Capoue are both better than Parker, Paulinho gives us a type of player we didn't have back then as well.

Honestly, given a choice between the midfield of Sandro, Paulinho, and Eriksen vs Parker, Modric, and Van Der Vaart I would choose the former all day long.

Back