• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

It's a big problem with kids and their families, they see all this big money and a lot of clubs are prepared to pay it for possible talent. There's a 9 year old at my grandsons school who parents are planning what they are going to do with the money he's going to get.

I was contracting to a Prem club once and they had a lad who they/we thought was going right to the top. His parents said they would take him out of the academy if they did not get a lump sum of money to help buy a house.

I was contracting to a Prem club once and they had a lad who they/we thought was going right to the top. His parents said they would take him out of the academy if they did not get a lump sum of money to help buy a house.

And did he make it?

And did he make it?

Like a lot of young players who look the bees knees he looked like he had it all, however the guy is now 30 years of age and is back in non Lge football. As i have said before there are a lot of good/great youngsters who are the best around at a early age but the turn over of those who fail to progress is huge.

I have noticed lesser youngsters with the right attitude go further than the better players with the wrong attitude.

I have noticed lesser youngsters with the right attitude go further than the better players with the wrong attitude.

That can and does happen a lot, the problem with some of the better players ( at the young age )they are told by everyman and his dog ( usually by those not working with them) that they are great, triffic and have a great future in front of them. That is when SOME of them stop listening to the advice of coaches and start to believe the hype that surrounds them.

Once that happens their attitude changes and they fail to improve.

Tottenham Hotspur want to follow Barcelona model - Mauricio Pochettino
LONDON -- Mauricio Pochettino says it is Tottenham Hotspur's "dream" to follow the example of Barcelona by building a team of academy graduates.
Spurs had the youngest squad in the Premier League last season, including homegrown stars Harry Kane, who finished as the Golden Boot winner with 25 goals, Danny Rose, Ryan Mason and Tom Carroll.

Barcelona's La Masia academy is revered for its production line of talent, which has included Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez in recent history.

Pochettino, who has a house in Barcelona and lived in the city for many years as a player and manager with Espanyol, has previously admitted that Spurs cannot compete with their wealthier Premier League rivals in the transfer market but he hopes they can emulate Barca's success at developing youth.

"It's very important for us to continue, only we need time," Pochettino told a news conference. "There are a lot of examples and the best one, we are all agreed, was Barcelona. They have a lot of good players from the academy, who are among the best players in the world. It is a good example for us.
"Maybe it is very different, as we have a different philosophy in the way that we work, and we create our own philosophy -- that is very important. But we continue to believe in our young talent.

"As we bring young talent from the academy, we keep our identity. Tottenham is different to another club and it is for that we need to continue to bring players from the academy."
In the absence of their Euro 2016 players, Pochettino included 14 academy graduates in last month's preseason trip to Melbourne, where Spurs lost to Juventus and Atletico Madrid in the International Champions Cup.

Josh Onomah, Harry Winks and Cameron Carter-Vickers regularly make Spurs match-day squad in the Premier League and Pochettino sees no reason that several young players cannot be part of the first-team in the future.

Pochettino said: "Now we have good examples like Cameron [Carter-Vickers], Harry Winks, Marcus Edwards, Josh Onomah, Luke Amos, William Miller, Kazaiah Sterling... Why not believe that one day they are all in the first team and maybe we will get big success with them?

"This is our dream. Always we need some experienced players that can help the young ones. That is important always. We have great potential in the academy. The club have unbelievable facilities and maybe in two years [will] be in the new stadium. All we have ahead is great and we are all excited for the future here."

http://www.espnfc.com/tottenham-hotspur/story/2937745/tottenham-hotspur-want-to-follow-barcelona-model-mauricio-pochettino

Just seen this about McKenna seems weird as he was a club man having played for our youth teams, maybe they have offered him a promotion like Inglethorpe got when he went to Liverpool.

I hope the club replace him with someone who can continue the good work he has been doing.

From what I hear support staff often leave clubs and switch around quite a lot.

Back