• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2014-2015

Out of all the youngsters who got gametime in the end of season games, he was the one who looked the most out of place. The others (KWP, Onomah and Winks) all seemed to fit to the system whereas he didn't

I sometimes wonder where Bentaleb would be now if Sherwood hadn't've happened ... probably only just coming off the back of a League 1 loan I suspect.
Indeed, Poch didn't seem keen to play youngsters to me. It took him game after game after game of playing the elder statesman before he finally conceded the kids were better and played them.

Delle Alli stated that he felt Poch gives youngsters a chance so that was a key reason for him choosing Spurs over Liverpool... but I'm not so sure that is true to be honest.

Indeed, Poch didn't seem keen to play youngsters to me. It took him game after game after game of playing the elder statesman before he finally conceded the kids were better and played them.

Delle Alli stated that he felt Poch gives youngsters a chance so that was a key reason for him choosing Spurs over Liverpool... but I'm not so sure that is true to be honest.
Hate to disagree, but I actually think Pochettino "cleared out the old guard" much faster than almost any other manager would have done in the same situation. He was coming into a new club with its own culture and personalities and he had an absolute obligation to at least try and make it work with the existing players.

Many managers would have made more compromises and postponed the inevitable. But by the end of the third month of the season, Pochettino effectively made his move. He exiled a number of senior players (including guys we're told had been voted as captain and vice captain by the majority of the players a couple of months previously) and started to rely on "the kids". That was a huge risk and - as I say - I think many managers would have delayed taking it precisely because it was so huge.

Out of all the youngsters who got gametime in the end of season games, he was the one who looked the most out of place. The others (KWP, Onomah and Winks) all seemed to fit to the system whereas he didn't

I thought he was lively when he came on and had a bigger impact than Onomah imo.

Spot on. Remember being baffled at the time as to why he delayed so long in making Kane our main striker. He persisted with the consistently abject Ade and Soldadud WAY too long imo. Who knows, might just have made the crucial difference between finishing fourth and fifth.

Thankfully it seems our manager knows you learn more from a run of games than you do a couple here and there - the senior players were given enough of a chance at the beginning of the season to show, undoubtedly, they weren't up to the job - had it been down to you lot we'd have changed things around after a couple of games and then most likely changed back a couple later had the others not started well, rinse and repeat throughout the season and come the end of it we'd be no wiser as to who has a future here and who does not.

Short term it may have cost us some points (possibly) but the bigger picture is we have a much clearer view of the squad and what is needed going forward.

That's even without looking to the 'brief' upon Pochs arrival which was to try and make the most of the players signed the previous summer (as per Levys statement when MP was appointed)

Hate to disagree, but I actually think Pochettino "cleared out the old guard" much faster than almost any other manager would have done in the same situation. He was coming into a new club with its own culture and personalities and he had an absolute obligation to at least try and make it work with the existing players.

Many managers would have made more compromises and postponed the inevitable. But by the end of the third month of the season, Pochettino effectively made his move. He exiled a number of senior players (including guys we're told had been voted as captain and vice captain by the majority of the players a couple of months previously) and started to rely on "the kids". That was a huge risk and - as I say - I think many managers would have delayed taking it precisely because it was so huge.

That is spot on for me, any new manager has to see his team/players in action before deciding on who he wants/ can rely on. He had to start with the senior players before giving the kid a chance because if he had thrown the kids in first he would have been slaughtered if things had gone wrong.

That is spot on for me, any new manager has to see his team/players in action before deciding on who he wants/ can rely on. He had to start with the senior players before giving the kid a chance because if he had thrown the kids in first he would have been slaughtered if things had gone wrong.

I agree. Managers lose dressing rooms when they come in and drop senior players without giving them a chance.

If you have 10 mins this is an excellent write up on the state of English youth football(including Spurs) heading into next season - https://youthhawk.wordpress.com/

Unfortunate, and imo unfair, that Carroll is having to carry the can for England's failure at the U21 tournament, also disappointing that Alex Pritchard's sparkling contribution goes unheralded. But leaving that aside, how good is it to see Alli, Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Veljkovic, Walker-Peters and Winks all get a positive mention.

Do liverpool promote youth then?

Did Tom Carroll really turn down a loan to Ajax in favour of QPR? What was he thinking if he did?

I think that was when we bought Eriksen. I think there were whispers at the time that he had been offered as a loan option but that Ajax didn't want him.

So far as Liverpool go, they have given Ibe some starts and Sterling is still young. Flanagan was trusted in defence before his injury, Can is only 21 and Coutinho, Sturridge and Hendersen were all given their chances despite being relatively young.

I think that was when we bought Eriksen. I think there were whispers at the time that he had been offered as a loan option but that Ajax didn't want him.

So far as Liverpool go, they have given Ibe some starts and Sterling is still young. Flanagan was trusted in defence before his injury, Can is only 21 and Coutinho, Sturridge and Hendersen were all given their chances despite being relatively young.

And all bar Flanagan were brought in by the club

True, but they were still being given a shot at a young age, something that not many clubs in the top half of the league do. It's not in the same manner as us because as you say we have developed a lot of ours from a young age, but then we also have Rose and Dier who were both bought from other clubs. Alli could be the same story, but we would claim credit because we are the club that have taken the risk and played him in the Premier League.

True, but they were still being given a shot at a young age, something that not many clubs in the top half of the league do. It's not in the same manner as us because as you say we have developed a lot of ours from a young age, but then we also have Rose and Dier who were both bought from other clubs. Alli could be the same story, but we would claim credit because we are the club that have taken the risk and played him in the Premier League.

I wouldn't say that we could claim any develment rights on two of the three hit Rose we could as he hardly played a game for anyone before joining us. Same as bentelab

True enough. My argument (ffs I'm actually arguing for the bastards) is that they have provided a platform for young players to play in the premier league. When you look at the other clubs up in the top half of the table, how many of them are taking risks on young players that aren't already world class stars? Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton with perhaps Arsenal are the teams that have looked within their own clubs to solve a problem instead of spending cash on players from the continent who would perhaps offer more stability.

Do liverpool promote youth then?

Did Tom Carroll really turn down a loan to Ajax in favour of QPR? What was he thinking if he did?

I'd think a season showing you can cope with the physicality of the Championship would stand him in better stead than the apparently less demanding challenge of playing in the dutch league. I can see his reasons if he did make that call.

Back