• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Y word

personally i don't sing it anymore. i get why we did, and nothing riled me up more than David Baddiel complaining about Spurs fans singing the Y word whilst being totally silent on gas noises and tonnes of other anti-semitic chants from his own Chelsea mob.

but, i think we should put it to bed now. Can we ban it? No, in fact i think attempting will make some fans get on their high horse about free speech like Laurence Fox and sing it even more.

But i'd like us to refrain, and ideally move away from it. I've stopped, and would like others to, but would take quite the collective to see that happen.

personally i don't sing it anymore. i get why we did, and nothing riled me up more than David Baddiel complaining about Spurs fans singing the Y word whilst being totally silent on gas noises and tonnes of other anti-semitic chants from his own Chelsea mob.

but, i think we should put it to bed now. Can we ban it? No, in fact i think attempting will make I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you get on their high horse about free speech like Laurence Fox and sing it even more.

But i'd like us to refrain, and ideally move away from it. I've stopped, and would like others to, but would take quite the collective to see that happen.

Thing is it was just a term like Gunner or Hammer before Baddiel (successfully) took the focus away from chelseas actual racism. The orginal associations were not known by most, and term had moved on. I don't think any spurs fans use yid in a racial sense, only as a name for a Spurs supporter, so what is the big deal?

If fans do look into the history of the club, then they should have pride that the term came out of the supports organic anti-racism stance. I actually think it is something we can be proud of.

I think that we are in danger of making excuses for ourselves. Some people in the Jewish community find our use of the word offensive and we should respect that. It is a word loaded with meaning, and however we think we are using it, we cannot remove that meaning from it.

Talk about Chelsea is whataboutism. We should get our own house in order.

I think that we are in danger of making excuses for ourselves. Some people in the Jewish community find our use of the word offensive and we should respect that. It is a word loaded with meaning, and however we think we are using it, we cannot remove that meaning from it.

If there were contemporary examples of yid being used in a racist way then maybe I'd agree. But its not a term that is used as a racial slur. I think you'd need to go back 30 odd years or more to find any instances of it. Sure there are people old enough to remember - I just about remember. I think there are an equal amount of jews who don't mind the term, and realise the etymology is associated with fighting racism and supporting the Jewish community!

Don't like it and wouldn't use it.
Our Jewish cousins do relish finding a stick to beat people with even if one doesn't really exist. It like they get some perverse pleasure from it.

I don’t use it any more, having only used it with the mistaken notion that in was in solidarity against anti Semitic chants.

I still feel it’s extremely hypocritical that a Chelsea fan who has physically attended matches to turn the focus to this chant and what I honestly believe was intended, even if misguided, as a reclaiming of a term that was being used to cause offence rather than the disgusting chants about Aushwitz, gas chambers and circumcised penises, or the really clever West Ham one that manages to offend two groups at once, I’d rather be a P...
I wish we could come up with a replacement word that sends the same message without causing anyone offence, except racists.

The thing for me is you can't airbrush history. You can't 'wipe clean' Spurs identity. Generally, jewish people don't want society to forget the ills of the past. Putting to oneside that the term doesn't mean jewish anymore, why would anyone want to sanitise history? As though there was never any racism, and Spurs supports never reacted to it. That is what happened. And that is how we got to where we are today...

Which is thankfully to an inclusive club that has Proud Lillywites, a mix of supporters from various cultures and backgrounds reflecting its location in one of the most culturally diverse areas of the planet. I don't believe an act of anti-racism by Spurs supporters what 70 years ago (!) should be swept under the carpet. And I don't believe yid is used (anywhere anymore) other than in connection with a Spurs supporter.

Last edited:
Words change and evolve over time, no one owns the rights to it

Cannot deny this however it becomes incredibly difficult to manage. Whether it is the N word, Paki, faggot, Yid or whatever else, those of us on the outside from the subsection of society they refer to have to listen to said subsection, right?

Don't like it and wouldn't use it.
Our Jewish cousins do relish finding a stick to beat people with even if one doesn't really exist. It like they get some perverse pleasure from it.

This is poor. If you are not Jewish and have never had that word used to you in an abusive manner then comments like these look awful. Paki is an abbreviation of Pakistanis, and some of my very dear and close friends who aren't Pakistani might use it and I would probably shrug it off but I would still find it unpleasant. That's me. My father who had it hurled at him regularly when he arrived on these shores would clean spark them.

FFS. You're better than that.

I don't condone or have time for racism but I also find that many of the current day's anxieties from all the different peoples are overblown.
Being disabled I've had some truly horrible comments and treatment. I do not see the point of doing anything other than educate and inform.

This is poor. If you are not Jewish and have never had that word used to you in an abusive manner then comments like these look awful. Paki is an abbreviation of Pakistanis, and some of my very dear and close friends who aren't Pakistani might use it and I would probably shrug it off but I would still find it unpleasant. That's me. My father who had it hurled at him regularly when he arrived on these shores would clean spark them.

I'm a half Jewish/Yorkshire/SW London who is Dwarfed Spurs fan. I've had more insults and name-calling than you have had hot dinners.
But I'm still quite jolly about things in general.

I'm a half Jewish/Yorkshire/SW London who is Dwarfed Spurs fan. I've had more insults and name-calling than you have had hot dinners.
But I'm still quite jolly about things in general.

Well said mate, my thoughts have always been this

" sticks and stones may break my bones"
" But names will never hurt me"

Thing is it was just a term like Gunner or Hammer before Baddiel (successfully) took the focus away from chelseas actual racism. The orginal associations were not known by most, and term had moved on. I don't think any spurs fans use yid in a racial sense, only as a name for a Spurs supporter, so what is the big deal?

If fans do look into the history of the club, then they should have pride that the term came out of the supports organic anti-racism stance. I actually think it is something we can be proud of.
I was watching a documentary on spike milligan the other day, everyone interviewed was calling him a genius, then baddiel pops up and calls him a racist! That's like calling baddiel a comedian!

You can if you are Jewish though and there are as many Jews who use the word and take no offence from it.

Back