• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The what I had for dinner thread

I'm vegan, I'll just irrationally upset everyone if I post what I have for dinner.

Haha, touche! I'm vegetarian. Been for 18 years now (been vegan a few years as well). Don't know how many more "I'm going to eat two cows for every cow you don't eat" conversations I can take. I should just tape my answer and play it back whenever someone feels like giving their defense/offense speech. I honestly don't give a brick. Well, I'd prefer if everyone gave up eating meat, of course, but it's not like I'm going to slit your throat for eating meat. There seems to be this idea going around that all vegans/vegetarians are terribly annoying and try to shove their opinions down everyone's throats - and I have to stand there and take brick because of those assholes. Just let me not eat meat in peace, thanks. :p

I'm not great at cooking, so we have this subscription to a box of food that comes every Sunday. We get the raw ingredients and the recipes. It's awesome. So much better than anything I could make myself from brick I get from the regular store. Today was grilled aubergine with Satay sauce, black rice, broccoli fried with sesame seeds, spring onion, carrots and some other stuff I've forgotten - it was lovely. Feels a bit like cheating, but man, best life hack for years and years.

I went to a pretty decent restaurant in Melbourne last Sunday, Michelin star chef, from Yorkshire (same as my fathers side of the family), got chatting to him about football, cooking, life etc, he wrote me down his Yorkshire pudding recipe if anyone wants it I’m happy to share it. I haven’t tried it yet but turning it into a pie would be easy. I’d never even thought of YP pie.
which restaurant? been to a few in Melbourne, some good eats down there. Also, yorkie recipe please !

Haha, touche! I'm vegetarian. Been for 18 years now (been vegan a few years as well). Don't know how many more "I'm going to eat two cows for every cow you don't eat" conversations I can take. I should just tape my answer and play it back whenever someone feels like giving their defense/offense speech. I honestly don't give a brick. Well, I'd prefer if everyone gave up eating meat, of course, but it's not like I'm going to slit your throat for eating meat. There seems to be this idea going around that all vegans/vegetarians are terribly annoying and try to shove their opinions down everyone's throats - and I have to stand there and take brick because of those assholes. Just let me not eat meat in peace, thanks. :p

I'm not great at cooking, so we have this subscription to a box of food that comes every Sunday. We get the raw ingredients and the recipes. It's awesome. So much better than anything I could make myself from brick I get from the regular store. Today was grilled aubergine with Satay sauce, black rice, broccoli fried with sesame seeds, spring onion, carrots and some other stuff I've forgotten - it was lovely. Feels a bit like cheating, but man, best life hack for years and years.

My wife was veggie for a long time, the amount of obnoxious meat eaters who felt they had to pick an argument with her about it was incredible.
There's a lot of idiots out there who think anything you do different from them is a judgement on them.

I'm not great at cooking, so we have this subscription to a box of food that comes every Sunday.

which one do you use? we use hello fresh, because its' quick, and don't have to think too much about working out amounts etc, and throw away loads of stuff you never use again. it's actually not bad, but we're not vegetarian, so we have all sorts of meals.

which one do you use? we use hello fresh, because its' quick, and don't have to think too much about working out amounts etc, and throw away loads of stuff you never use again. it's actually not bad, but we're not vegetarian, so we have all sorts of meals.
I used that for a while, found that after a few months we started getting a lot of repeats.

yeah, i know what you mean, and some are better than others. we do often skip weeks, if we know other things are going on etc, but it's not bad to dip in and out of. just have to remember to pick each week you want it, otherwise they send the cheapest brickest ones by default :D

yeah, i know what you mean, and some are better than others. we do often skip weeks, if we know other things are going on etc, but it's not bad to dip in and out of. just have to remember to pick each week you want it, otherwise they send the cheapest brickest ones by default :D
I think we may have fallen foul of that a few times.

The other issue I found is that most chicken recipes there use thigh meat. The rest of my family are quite picky when it comes to stuff like that so I'd find I had to go and buy chicken breast as well.

Haha, yes I've heard that loads. I engage in Animal Rights activism so have had some interesting interactions. My three personal favourites at the moment are 'plants have feelings', 'but lions eat meat and I'm top of the food chain like a lion' and 'Veganism is a globalist movement by the elite to control us'.

That sounds delicious! Honestly my diet has never been so varied since I went plant-based. And I've reversed severe rheumatoid arthritis into remission since I made the switch. Was veggie for twelve years prior and a complete animal flesh fiend before that.

Haha, yes I've heard that loads. I engage in Animal Rights activism so have had some interesting interactions. My three personal favourites at the moment are 'plants have feelings', 'but lions eat meat and I'm top of the food chain like a lion' and 'Veganism is a globalist movement by the elite to control us'.

That sounds delicious! Honestly my diet has never been so varied since I went plant-based. And I've reversed severe rheumatoid arthritis into remission since I made the switch. Was veggie for twelve years prior and a complete animal flesh fiend before that.

Let food be thy (think it is thy) medicine.

We have all seen the Netflix documentaries on plant based food being better for you. I have a pretty serious illness so need to be as fit as possible. You would have to be a fool not to try it.

We have veggie burgers tomorrow actually. Tonight is grilled chicken and rice with roasted vegetables.

Let food be thy (think it is thy) medicine.

We have all seen the Netflix documentaries on plant based food being better for you. I have a pretty serious illness so need to be as fit as possible. You would have to be a fool not to try it.

We have veggie burgers tomorrow actually. Tonight is grilled chicken and rice with roasted vegetables.

It’s astounding how little the medical world considers or is educated about nutrition.

Ryne in Fitzroy North. PM sent.

Had to Google the name, as I lived in North Fitzroy in my student days 16 years ago. I actually lived literally just across the street from Ryne, in 22 Best street. Crazy coincidence.

I think Ryne is where the Moroccan Soup Bar used to be, which had excellent (vegetarian) food. Looks like they've moved up the street. Did you ever go there?

We use a local one here in Oslo/Norway - it's excellent. The people that run it are incredibly friendly, helpful and skilled. The food is just top top notch. I've been all over various cook books and internet recipes for years and years, and none of that even comes close to this stuff - I'd say 70% of it tastes like it would at a good restaurant. We've been subscribing since the beginning of Covid (so since mid-March), and have only had a handful of repeats, so I really don't mind. And yes, as you say, they know just the right amounts - we hardly throw away any food these days (except for all the food the kid won't eat, or eat like one bite out of, hah).

Haha, yeah, I've heard all of those several times. I've been active with with a few groups as well, and have met some lovely people (and a few nutcases - most people are fine folks, obviously). That's nice with the arthritis going into remission! Congrats! There's definitely a lot of health benefits. :)

Today we had grilled potato wedges baked in some mix of spices, fried chick peas, spring onions, carrots, and onion in a tomato/orange-sauce, topped with aioli, parsley and a bit of orange peel - it was delicious!

Had to Google the name, as I lived in North Fitzroy in my student days 16 years ago. I actually lived literally just across the street from Ryne, in 22 Best street. Crazy coincidence.

I think Ryne is where the Moroccan Soup Bar used to be, which had excellent (vegetarian) food. Looks like they've moved up the street. Did you ever go there?

M Soup bar is still there just down the street i think. I keep meaning to go but haven't yet. Soup is never the kind if takeaway urge i get. So much choice around Fitzroy. Covid has killed the odd restaurant but most look to have survived. Ryne is good but not cheap.

M Soup bar is still there just down the street i think. I keep meaning to go but haven't yet. Soup is never the kind if takeaway urge i get. So much choice around Fitzroy. Covid has killed the odd restaurant but most look to have survived. Ryne is good but not cheap.

Had the pleasure of eating at places like Attica, Chin Chin, Coda, Tonka, Supernormal etc when I lived in Melbourne.

So many good places to eat. Doesn't have to be expensive either (although most of the
aforementioned are) amazing Vietnamese and African cuisine in suburbs like Footscray.

Lots along Chapel St too, really good Polish breakfast at Borscht Vodka and Tears. Fantastic bloody marys.

Speaking of Fitzroy, Morrocon Soup Bar is insanely good, especially on a budget. Edit: I see that's already been mentioned, my bad! The name is deceiving, it's not just soup. You get fed a range of delicious middle eastern dishes, tagines, chickpea bakes all kinds of stuff. Proper home made cooking.

Dannys Burgers on St George's is an institution too, a must. Especially after an all-nighter in Fitzroy.

Last edited:
Back