• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The We8Campbell Memorial ITK Thread

No I am not. And neither am I saying that we paid all the Dembele money in one go. It works both ways. If we can add more incoming transfer funds to our balance sheet than outgoings then we must be able to commit money to future purchases.
But there seem to be too many would be accountants on this board _ or perhaps they are actual Accountants!
I posted for the first time yesterday - so far japanesegardenlover accused me of being on drugs, Bullet told me that football accounting is "all very complex stuff" ( and wins the patronising medal of the month award)
And I have been sworn at for having the temerity to suggest that we should have some money available, only Crawley has made me feel welcome
Thanks for that!

To be fair mate, your entry was swift and aggressive, a bit like showing up late at the dinner table and shouting your order at the waiter 10 feet away as he takes the orders of others. You might not have meant it but that's how it came across.

Sorry if you found my first response in similar vein, I was merely responding in the tone you had set. No worries. And always good to have a new postee here, so yes indeed, welcome! ;)

4th spot is gone now. Just like last year we have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The signings of Nelson and Saha last Jan shen we were (technically) in in the title race were pathetic, and today is even worse. We are handing Arsenal 4th spot again.

We expect it every window but it still hurts like hell. Well done Spurs. How to destroy the progress we have made these last few years.

Thats it.................im off to toss off to Natalie Sawyer to cheer myself up.

Shaney.
It's Feb 1st.
The season ends in May.
Spread the doom then mate...or perhaps you won't have to?????

Steff; you called it all along that we wouldn't be spending much...fair play to you :(

Yes mate, sorry to say I was hoping to step in from my game tonight and be cooking up an egg for wearing purposes...I don't ask much of my mates, and I don't ask often, but in December we were talking and I started to get hopes up but was told this news immediately. I have heard that we HAVE done a lot of work this window but that it has all been with a view to the summer window. And with Bale, I really am now convinced (sadly) that even if we got into the CL, he will be off to Madrid. I think he loves us and loves the set-up/AVB, but Real Madrid is Real Madrid. I wouldn't deny him the chance myself, plus he will escape all the tossers who continually try and chop him down...

Yes mate, sorry to say I was hoping to step in from my game tonight and be cooking up an egg for wearing purposes...I don't ask much of my mates, and I don't ask often, but in December we were talking and I started to get hopes up but was told this news immediately. I have heard that we HAVE done a lot of work this window but that it has all been with a view to the summer window. And with Bale, I really am now convinced (sadly) that even if we got into the CL, he will be off to Madrid. I think he loves us and loves the set-up/AVB, but Real Madrid is Real Madrid. I wouldn't deny him the chance myself, plus he will escape all the tossers who continually try and chop him down...

And he'll meet new tossers, like the ones that continually try to chop Messi and Ronaldo down..

No I am not. And neither am I saying that we paid all the Dembele money in one go. It works both ways. If we can add more incoming transfer funds to our balance sheet than outgoings then we must be able to commit money to future purchases.
But there seem to be too many would be accountants on this board _ or perhaps they are actual Accountants!
I posted for the first time yesterday - so far japanesegardenlover accused me of being on drugs, Bullet told me that football accounting is "all very complex stuff" ( and wins the patronising medal of the month award)
And I have been sworn at for having the temerity to suggest that we should have some money available, only Crawley has made me feel welcome
Thanks for that!

I thought that someone at Fulham confirmed that we paid the full fee for Dembele up front and that is why it went through so quickly.

fudge me the defeatism on this board really tinkles me off sometimes

we only have Defoe and Adebayor to call on up front? the same Defoe and Adebayor who have been apart of the team which see's us several points clear in 4th and 4 points behind 3rd? we have added what could well turn out to be a key player in midfield who seemingly has some of the attributes we have been missing in our play - we haven't lost any key players.
Arsenal are almost exactly the same as when the window opened.

what's the big panic?

You are like my Spurs-supporting brother...I am struggling to remember the last time I read something you posted that I disagreed with or vica-versa.

Did we spend less than £5 mill?
As for Bale-he will still be a Spurs player next term. He is not ready yet for Spain and he likes his life here. The season after-not so sure.

I'm not convinced at all Madrid want Bale, certainly for 40m. Sounds very media hype to me.

I am fine with selling at the right price; it is the only way we can compete with five substantially wealthier clubs. My main worry these days is reinvestment, because I don't think we're making the best choices - to think that Dembele for example can replace Modric when Fulham fans themselves thought his weaknesses lay in ability to move the ball quickly and creatively is a worrying scouting problem IMO, suggesting we prioritized his contract situation over his actual playing qualities. Siggy and Dempsey also were never real no. 10s, more like slow-ish second strikers who score goals but have low passing and key passes figures (though I still think Siggy will look much better beside an on-form Adebayor). Is it any wonder we're struggling with our passing, esp our one-touch passing? They're not bad players by any means, but we've been left bereft of key qualities (thank GHod for Holtby!).

I think we need a genuine DOF, or at least a better scouting system that can work with Everton-like budgets. Given our weaknesses with passing fluidity, I'm amazed we haven't been targeting Spain more aggressively like Arse are.

This has been the story of Spurs in the transfer market for the last 20 years or more, though; there's always a vital piece of the jigsaw missing. Plug one hole, and open another; provide an answer, but at the same time, change the question. It's a cultural disease at the root of it, I believe. The inexorable spread of a corporate and business culture at the expense of one of football. It began with Sugar, and ENIC have continued it, because it's all they understand and all they're really interested in. Hence, we've ended up with one-size-fits-all solutions supplanting the footballing quest for horses for courses. One player is much the same as any other, after all; we're just haggling over price. If one of them seems to do well, and attracts media attention, his price goes up. If someone else is willing to meet that price, regardless of the impact it might have on the team, the board will cash in. I've always thought it rather ironic that a culture that places so much ostensible emphasis on team-building should have so little inherent appreciation of the subtleties that may be involved. They're more-or-less incapable of reflection though; it either works, and they are experts deserving of their success, or else it's someone else's fault and they're out on their arse and the next fall guy comes in to take his place. Unfortunately, the level of inflation in the market has all but made it a self-fulfilling prophecy, and placed a very high premium on the pursuit of purer strategies. AVB won't like having to play the hand he's dealt, of course, but you won't hear any dissent from him. He's a loyal wee middle manager at heart, and too sold on the importance of playing his part in the bigger picture.

This has been the story of Spurs in the transfer market for the last 20 years or more, though; there's always a vital piece of the jigsaw missing. Plug one hole, and open another; provide an answer, but at the same time, change the question. It's a cultural disease at the root of it, I believe. The inexorable spread of a corporate and business culture at the expense of one of football. It began with Sugar, and ENIC have continued it, because it's all they understand and all they're really interested in. Hence, we've ended up with one-size-fits-all solutions supplanting the footballing quest for horses for courses. One player is much the same as any other, after all; we're just haggling over price. If one of them seems to do well, and attracts media attention, his price goes up. If someone else is willing to meet that price, regardless of the impact it might have on the team, the board will cash in. I've always thought it rather ironic that a culture that places so much ostensible emphasis on team-building should have so little inherent appreciation of the subtleties that may be involved. They're more-or-less incapable of reflection though; it either works, and they are experts deserving of their success, or else it's someone else's fault and they're out on their arse and the next fall guy comes in to take his place. Unfortunately, the level of inflation in the market has all but made it a self-fulfilling prophecy, and placed a very high premium on the pursuit of purer strategies. AVB won't like having to play the hand he's dealt, of course, but you won't hear any dissent from him. He's a loyal wee middle manager at heart, and too sold on the importance of playing his part in the bigger picture.

Stop being a queen, levy has done very well in backing his managers, we have the smallest stadium of the top 10 clubs, one CL qualification in our history and a massive capital project starting and one just finishing. In that context the shrewed signings of:
Lloris - one of the best keepers in Europe
Dembele - one of the best midfielders in the prem outside the top 6 teams
Dempsey - one of the most lethal attacking midfielders outside the top 6
Adebayor - a striker with huge prem/international/CL experience with proven record
Sigurdsson - one of the best prospects that appeared in the prem over the last few years
Vertonghen - one of the best defensive prospects in Europe
Holtby - one of the best creative prospects in Europe ....
....is really not bad and the manager can't really complain that much!

We are getting spoilt and ahead of ourselves as fans if we think levy should be signing £20 superstars left right and centre

Stop being a queen, levy has done very well in backing his managers, we have the smallest stadium of the top 10 clubs, one CL qualification in our history and a massive capital project starting and one just finishing. In that context the shrewed signings of:
Adebayor - a striker with huge prem/international/CL experience with proven record
Sigurdsson - one of the best prospects that appeared in the prem over the last few years

We are getting spoilt and ahead of ourselves as fans if we think levy should be signing £20 superstars left right and centre

Great post, great point/summary. So true.

but we are one of the most expensive when it comes to tickets

that tracks doesn't it, we have to make more from less

if we have the smallest stadium out of the top 10 we should have the highest ticket prices, the fact that we pretty much sell out every game suggests to me the prices should be put up, supply and demand and all that

that tracks doesn't it, we have to make more from less

if we have the smallest stadium out of the top 10 we should have the highest ticket prices, the fact that we pretty much sell out every game suggests to me the prices should be put up, supply and demand and all that

yeah but lets say Everton would love to charge what we do but they cant because their fans are not loaded like ours are due to location and the fact that everyone on Merseyside seems to be on the dole:)

Everton cant make the same corporate revenue for the same reason. London has greater corporate potential to tap into

Thats what I think but today is very poor. I think Dempsey is on a roll but it wont last, then what are our options if Ade or Defoe get injured? Then what happened with all this Moutinho chat?

But that is 3 strikers for one position which should be enough.

ADE hasn't really played that many games for us this season or it doesn't seem like it. I think if he can get a consistent run of games then he will get some vital goals.

With Holtby back adding a big of guile and quick passing I am a bit more optimistic, we can't always look to the strikers and blame then. Whilst we have a lot of possession we don't carve teams open like City, UTD do etc. WHen you watch them they are missing 3 or 4 one on ones and free headers every game. We just have shots from the edge of the area etc, not the same.

Levy has undermined his manager yet again.

You cannot get round that by posting a list of players with a favourable comment next to them. Any club can do that.

The relevant points are whether he acquired the targets identified by the manager, and most importantly whether he suficiently equipped the manager to achieve the agreed objectives.

yeah but lets say Everton would love to charge what we do but they cant because their fans are not loaded like ours are due to location and the fact that everyone on Merseyside seems to be on the dole:)

Everton cant make the same corporate revenue for the same reason. London has greater corporate potential to tap into

sorry, think i've missed your point with Everton, we outspend them every season don't we?

Levy has undermined his manager yet again.

You cannot get round that by posting a list of players with a favourable comment next to them. Any club can do that.

The relevant points are whether he acquired the targets identified by the manager, and most importantly whether he suficiently equipped the manager to achieve the agreed objectives.

Disagree with that, so over dramatic saying he's undermined him. He bidded between £16- £20m for his top targtet and they don't want to deal. More than fair offer for him, I'm glad he's not stupid enough to acquire a player at any price just like I'm glad we didn't sign a medicore striker for the sake of it....

Back