1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Humiliation

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by GPRD81, 19 Mar 2021.

?

What has been Spurs' most humiliating result of recent times?

1. Notts County 0-3 Oct 1994

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Man Utd 3-5 Sept 2001

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Blackburn League Cup Final Feb 2002

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Emirates Marketing Project 3-4 Feb 2004

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  5. Bayern Munich 2-7 (seven) Oct 2019

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. West Ham 3-3 October 2020

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Dinamo Zagreb 0-3 March 2021

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  8. Newcastle/St Wankerfest Day May 2016

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. GPRD81

GPRD81 Jason Dozzell

Just before my time so didn't register with me...I got in just in time for the ignimony of losing to Bradford in 1989 instead though!

Mikey10 likes this.
  2. GPRD81

GPRD81 Jason Dozzell

Always felt as though we were doing our very best to get knocked out of the Europa that season! I think, we could still have qualified on final match day having won at Shamrock but PAOK obviously got something against Rubin Kazan to secure their place.

3. GPRD81

GPRD81 Jason Dozzell

Of course...how did I forget the Portsmouth Semi-Final. It was a humiliating loss though I equally feel a little cheated that a) the pitch surface was an utter brick bomb which clearly acted as a leveller and b) Crouch had a perfectly good goal disallowed at 0-1 so I dont feel this one was entirely self-inflicted.

4. GPRD81

GPRD81 Jason Dozzell

You were a couple of years older than me. I'm pretty sure my story is just as bizarre as I was in the worst place in the world to receive the news of the half time score.....I was in the Arsenal away end for their league cup tie the same night at Boundary Park, Oldham! I remember my heart sinking at some Goon shouting as loud as he could "Tottenham are losing" and getting a cheer and then at half time the Oldham PA announcer trying to woo the Arsenal fans by bigging up the fact we were 2-0 down at half time and that Dumitrescu had been sent off.

Don't think I'd have been able to contain myself if Rick Holden's wing masterplay that night had resulted in an Oldham goal!

5. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

If that is the lasagna gate one, it gets my vote too.

Does any other club have as many humiliations I wonder? Or are we just a cursed club?

harr1984 and Robspur12 like this.
  6. MKSpur

MKSpur John Lacy

The Newcastle one I put a ton on them to win at 6-1 as a happy hedge, yesterday I put money on Zagreb to qualify at 27s on betfair but admittedly I did break the rule of happiness hedges and bottled it and cashed out 200 near the end.

The Liverpool at home hammering under AVB was a particularly bad one, other than Bayern one of the few games I think I’ve actually left before the final whistle.

I went for the City one though, I’m sure the odds on that feat would have been ridiculous. It wasn’t even like they were a top side then.

Mikey10 and harr1984 like this.
  7. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Christian Ziege

I hate it when that happens.

8. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Tom Huddlestone

Decisions decisions :oops:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2021
  9. thfcsteff

thfcsteff David Ginola Staff Member

At least that was not our fault. We were done.

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  10. Seedy Ron

Seedy Ron Michael Carrick

Last line from the commentator sums up the whole thread.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Tom Huddlestone

12. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

Jebus why did I come into this thread.

13. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Jonathan Woodgate

I remember the Arsenal vs Spurs game in Redknapp's era. I believe we were leading then I can't recall correctly if anyone got a red card. However I remember us losing and the shame.

There has been quite a few which in my mind are balanced with great moments. However I deal with it by saying that is football unless I notice the players attitude during the game e.g. Newcastle away, United at home after making a lot of noise, the City and Liverpool consistent high scoring bearings etc

This thread is dark reviving painful memories. Damn

14. Crab.C.Nesbitt

Crab.C.Nesbitt Luke Young

being 3-0 up at half time k the cup against Emirates Marketing Project when they were brick, little Joey Barton gets sent off, on the stroke of half time and we go onntonlose 4-3!

15. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Dean Richards

Jesus, Austin was my favourite player back then. Thought he was a fantastic prospect up to the leg break in 1994. I wrote to him as a kid and he responded multiple times with signed photos and stuff, top bloke.

But in that game, like many looking back, he made Matt Doherty look like Cafu.

16. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Christian Ziege

No mention of the 'Sol Campbell has won the double...' song? Aaaggghhhhh

17. spurs' magna carter

spurs' magna carter Scott Parker

Arsenal winning the League at White Hart Lane, for the second time (2004). Watching Henry run to their fans wasn't as painful as Madrid (I cried my eyes out two days later, true footballing heart break), but it is hard to take still to this day. The only way I'd get over that is if we won the league at their place or beat them in a UCL Semi-Final at their place before winning it.

For me it's that. You can have all the games against minnows that ended in defeat, the big leads thrown away (5-3, 4-3, 3-3) and the absolute spankings (5-0, 6-1, 7-2, 7-1) dished out in the past but it's nothing in comparison to your arch rivals winning the League at your place. That's why Lasagne Gate when Arsenal pipped us to fourth after defeat to West Ham in 2006 and Munich when Chelsea won the Champions League (first and still only London club to do so) before qualifying for the competition is up there.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it... ;)

1. Arsenal winning the league at our place 1971 and 2004
    2. Munich (the whole World laughed at us for that)
    3. Lasagne Gate (we actually shat our pants and was the first footballing meme).

Writing and editing this post has been like therapy, after all these years I know why I react to certain defeats the way I do.

I guess the biggest problem for us Tottenham fans is trying to compensate, let alone over compensate, for all the dissapointments these past 30 years (26 years for me).

18. Baleforce

Baleforce Paul Miller

That arsenal game where we gave them a really soft goal after starting well, then somehow conspired to cough the ball up from the restart and let Fabregas straight through the team to score again within about 10 seconds. I think it was only 3-0 in the end but it was awful.

MKSpur and Bullet like this.
  19. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Dean Austin

The 4-3 loss to Emirates Marketing Project in the FA cup says hi.

20. Baleforce

Baleforce Paul Miller

the one that’s leading in votes on the poll?

;)