• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

Anyone know anything about Nico Elvedi the Swiss centre back?

Sounds like exactly the player we need

Get him, zakaira and Thuram from the same club, the one I cant pronounce and it would be an amazing window.

Seriously every time I try and say that clubs name I end up with a mouth full of spit.

Beautiful stuff. I rate him higher than Kane personally, I know he will never be held in the same esteem because of the length of time he was here and not purely Spurs like Kane - but he was an absolute genius....
Kane is the by far better goal scorer. I'd even say their attributes are quite different. Berba leaning more towards creativity and link up and Kane obviously finishing.

Both fantastic players of course, but a team with Berba probably does need a striker partner as Berba alone isn't going to get you enough goals.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Kane is the by far better goal scorer. I'd even say their attributes are quite different. Berba leaning more towards creativity and link up and Kane obviously finishing.

Both fantastic players of course, but a team with Berba probably does need a striker partner as Berba alone isn't going to get you enough goals.

In the modern game strikers are not as relied upon for goals but Berba would make modern WF fly

In the modern game strikers are not as relied upon for goals but Berba would make modern WF fly
Erk I disagree with you there. Look at any of the successful teams they will have a striker on 20+ goals in addition to any link or creative play. Berba was a great player who would be a great player for our squad right now but honestly I'd rather have Kane.

Erk I disagree with you there. Look at any of the successful teams they will have a striker on 20+ goals in addition to any link or creative play. Berba was a great player who would be a great player for our squad right now but honestly I'd rather have Kane.

Pool are smashing that logic then
Arguably Barca too

Pool are smashing that logic then
Arguably Barca too
They are?

Messi 50 goals a season guy + Luis Suarez who has scored 20+ every season he's been at Barca.

Liverpool have Salah with 20+ and Mane and Firminho approaching that figure.

You may have misunderstood because I didn't say a succesful team needs an old fashioned No9 which Kane isn't even that.

They are?

Messi 50 goals a season guy + Luis Suarez who has scored 20+ every season he's been at Barca.

Liverpool have Ham Salad with 20+ and Mane and Firminho approaching that figure.

You may have misunderstood because I didn't say a succesful team needs an old fashioned No9 which Kane isn't even that.

Messi plays as a WF
Salad plays as a WF
Mane plays as a WF
I’ll admit that I thought Suárez scored less in the league
Firmino has never hit twenty in his career I believe
Berbatov as a 9 with son and another would be amazing
Not necessarily better than Kane though. I prefer Kane who has an outstanding all round game

Berby was here for two full seasons and scored 23 goals in each one.

Messi plays as a WF
Salad plays as a WF
Mane plays as a WF
I’ll admit that I thought Suárez scored less in the league
Firmino has never hit twenty in his career I believe
Berbatov as a 9 with son and another would be amazing
Not necessarily better than Kane though. I prefer Kane who has an outstanding all round game
Messi hasn't played WF for 5 years other than a small spell last season. Besides as I said to you earlier you're misunderstanding, I'm not talking about an orthodox 9. In Liverpools traditional 433 Salah is a much a striker as Kane is.
Berby was here for two full seasons and scored 23 goals in each one.
Not in the league he didn't, 15 goals in one season and 12 the next both are average at best returns for a striker. He did of course compensate with his wonderful link play and creativity. 23 goals total across all comps is pretty low for a top striker which is why in goal scoring terms alone he wasn't one.

Messi hasn't played WF for 5 years other than a small spell last season. Besides as I said to you earlier you're misunderstanding, I'm not talking about an orthodox 9. In Liverpools traditional 433 Ham Salad is a much a striker as Kane is. Not in the league he didn't, 15 goals in one season and 12 the next both are average at best returns for a striker. He did of course compensate with his wonderful link play and creativity. 23 goals total across all comps is pretty low for a top striker which is why in goal scoring terms alone he wasn't one.

I was just responding to your earlier post which included "Look at any of the successful teams they will have a striker on 20+ goals in addition to any link or creative play" you never specified just lge goals. If you had done it would have made it clearer.

I was just responding to your earlier post which included "Look at any of the successful teams they will have a striker on 20+ goals in addition to any link or creative play" you never specified just lge goals. If you had done it would have made it clearer.
Yeah I should have made it clear, when I talk about goals I'm always only talking about league goals as extra comps can be deceptive but the league is a good and fair comparison point.

Yeah I should have made it clear, when I talk about goals I'm always only talking about league goals as extra comps can be deceptive but the league is a good and fair comparison point.

Fair enough.

Messi hasn't played WF for 5 years other than a small spell last season. Besides as I said to you earlier you're misunderstanding, I'm not talking about an orthodox 9. In Liverpools traditional 433 Ham Salad is a much a striker as Kane is. Not in the league he didn't, 15 goals in one season and 12 the next both are average at best returns for a striker. He did of course compensate with his wonderful link play and creativity. 23 goals total across all comps is pretty low for a top striker which is why in goal scoring terms alone he wasn't one.

I get your logic but people don’t call salad a striker or mane or messi or Ronaldo. Their now known as wide forwards or simply attackers. Son is the same for us as he doesn’t play number 9 all the time

No coincidence that ManU won the EPL when Berbatov picked up the Golden Boot then

upload_2019-11-19_5-1-3.jpeg

No coincidence that ManU won the EPL when Berbatov picked up the Golden Boot then

View attachment 7627
Technically it was as they won it quite regularly and it’s not often that the golden boot winner actually plays for the league winners!

I think he played his best stuff for us as he went into his shell a bit at United (the final insult was being dropped from the CL bench for Michael fudging Owen) When he was here he put a shift in to prove himself and when he realised he was a level above most of the players he played with an arrogance that made Fergie think he could be their Cantona, but whether it was the culmination of achieving his ‘dream’, the level of competition or Fergie’s management style he never looked the same there. Checking the web to see if my memory served me correctly I came across this:

A theme has developed whereby Berbatov has been deployed against lesser teams, but stood down when the heat of the battle is less tolerable. The most staggering statistic is that he has not started against a top-six opponent for 14 months. Since arriving on the final day of the 2008 summer transfer window, he has been left out of 41 of United's 66 big games, meaning finals, semi-finals, European knockout ties, the Club World Cup and league matches against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project and Spurs.

Here he also worked in a genuine partnership with Keane. If he’d played as the lone striker for us and took pens I’d expect him to hit 20 goals a season. The Bolton masterclass he gave when we were down to 10 was an example of possibilities of the lone striker who could hold the ball up and pose a goal threat before it became the norm!

On a side note I can see (and hope) Eriksen take a similar trajectory to his when he leaves us. I see similarities in both their technical ability and personalities and an ultra competitive cut throat environment with bigger personalities vying for their place is not the best place for an introvert to flourish.

Heung Min Son.
We were first interested when he was at Hamburg at looked into signing him the same window Bale left but chose not to then signed him anyway 2 years later.
There have been other examples of players we scouted but didn't buy at the time because we were unsure who then went on to prove themselves to the extent we could no longer buy them.

Really bad example to pick, Son is a brilliant piece of business

- Picked up for 20M odd, latest valuation of him this week was 90M+
- He actually struggled early at Spurs which would indicate if we had picked him up with even less experience he might have failed completely.

Every club has player they have missed out on, how many of those the player and selling club would have actually agreed to final deal is another immeasurable.

Spurs of the last 10-15 years actually has made some pretty spectacular signings

Really bad example to pick, Son is a brilliant piece of business

- Picked up for 20M odd, latest valuation of him this week was 90M+
- He actually struggled early at Spurs which would indicate if we had picked him up with even less experience he might have failed completely.

Every club has player they have missed out on, how many of those the player and selling club would have actually agreed to final deal is another immeasurable.

Spurs of the last 10-15 years actually has made some pretty spectacular signings

How it is a bad example when it fits exactly the scenario I mentioned? We were interested initially decided we didn't want to take the risk then waited until he had proven himself and then bought him for twice the fee he went for 2 years earlier? Whether he would have failed earlier or not is pure speculation.

We have made some great signings and some poor ones, I wouldnt say we particularly stand out in terms of exploiting the market. I would rank ourselves a level below the likes of Dortmund, Athletico, Sevilla, Monaco and even Leicester in recent years.

We don't have the funds to buy at the top of the market so we should take risks the market and I think our scouting department over the years has identified many a quality player but it is the acquisition side of the club that hasn't followed through on that identification.

Back