• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The "time to look to 14/15 pick an 11 who will shine from current squad" sorta thread

Finally, goodbye to a strange old season of underachievement but the realisation that we probably peaked with a fight for 5th/6th considering all the player/staff changes.
And whether it's to be Timmeh, De Boer, Pochettino or anyone else in charge come August 2014, the question is simple - how do you line up for next season??

Put a placeholder in for any new signings you want, but no names please - the rumour mill is bad enough and most become pipe dreams of players we never sign anyway. Assume no one leaves and your manager of choice can get the best out of your selection.

To kick off…

--------------------- Lloris ---------------------

-- Walker Vlad Vertonghen (NEW LB) --

-- Lamela Sandro Demb/Pauli Eriksen --

------------- Adebayor Soldado -------------

Squad/bench places for Townsend, Kaboul, Kane, Siggy, Carroll, Holtby and Dawson.
Lennon, Rose, Naughton et al can do one.

Preferred Manager: Frank De Boer
(and he can bring with him Stam, Overmars and Bergkamp too! I don't care for the Arsenal connection when these boys have v.credible Prem experience and are technically gifted. Think they can def bring the best out of this lot)

For me, it's not about wholesale changes (again), rather just embedding the talent we have for that second season and getting them together as a unit with a manager they will respect!
Not sure if it's head or heart that says Lamela will come good next year - same for Soldado. Also think with the above coaching staff in place place we could have a really fab ball-playing defensive partnership between Vlad and Verts.

Re: The "time to look to 14/15 pick an 11 who will shine from current squad" sorta th

Finally, goodbye to a strange old season of underachievement but the realisation that we probably peaked with a fight for 5th/6th considering all the player/staff changes.
And whether it's to be Timmeh, De Boer, Pochettino or anyone else in charge come August 2014, the question is simple - how do you line up for next season??

Put a placeholder in for any new signings you want, but no names please - the rumour mill is bad enough and most become pipe dreams of players we never sign anyway. Assume no one leaves and your manager of choice can get the best out of your selection.

To kick off…

--------------------- Lloris ---------------------

-- Walker Vlad Vertonghen (NEW LB) --

-- Lamela Sandro Demb/Pauli Eriksen --

------------- Adebayor Soldado -------------

Squad/bench places for Townsend, Kaboul, Kane, Siggy, Carroll, Holtby and Dawson.
Lennon, Rose, Naughton et al can do one.

Preferred Manager: Frank De Boer
(and he can bring with him Stam, Overmars and Bergkamp too! I don't care for the Arsenal connection when these boys have v.credible Prem experience and are technically gifted. Think they can def bring the best out of this lot)

For me, it's not about wholesale changes (again), rather just embedding the talent we have for that second season and getting them together as a unit with a manager they will respect!
Not sure if it's head or heart that says Lamela will come good next year - same for Soldado. Also think with the above coaching staff in place place we could have a really fab ball-playing defensive partnership between Vlad and Verts.

Agree with most of that. I don't think Vlad is good enough to be a starter yet so I would preferably bring in a quality CB next to Verts. I would love Nastasic from Emirates Marketing Project but that's never going to happen.

Re: The "time to look to 14/15 pick an 11 who will shine from current squad" sorta th

Agree with most of that. I don't think Vlad is good enough to be a starter yet so I would preferably bring in a quality CB next to Verts. I would love Nastasic from Emirates Marketing Project but that's never going to happen.

Yep, I think CB is a position that has cost us over the last three seasons.
Who are our first choice pairing? Its a bit concerning I don't think there is an obvious answer.

Dawson - the fact that Mabbutt-style his passion makes some of his weaknesses seem less significant means that he is still a regular
Kaboul - too much time missed through injury to make him anything but a squad player
Chiriches - new, some defensive frailties that will hopefully be dealt with from EPL experience.
Fryers -new, shown nothing so far to suggest he is a solid CB choice.

That only leaves Vertonghen who we will have to fight to hold this summer anyway!

Up front I do believe that we should be patient with Soldado (as well as Lamela). Adebayor I think we'd all agree if we could get a buyer in then great, if not he'll do. For me the crucial thing is the third striker. Ideally a young talent happy for bench time if need be. I like Harry Kane, he's got a couple of goals already. But I think we just need a bit more injection, pace and danger.

I actually think the basis for the squad is excellent, the purchases last summer need time to bed in. But a couple of signings will keep things fresh, along with a new boss.

All depends on who the manager is and how they prefer to line us up. Will be much easier to make an informed judgement from there.

The only thing I'm confident in predicting is that if we keep Ade next season he'll be absolute dog****

We'll still need a lot of patience with Lamela next season too, he'll effectively still be a new signing next season too and a bit of an unknown quantity for us.

If De Boer is manager, we won't play 4-4-2.

Such a joy to see Lewis Holtby back at the Lane tonight. We just need someone who can get the best out of him.

With our current squad:

Lloris

Walker
Chiriches
Vertonghen
Rose

Sandro
Dembele

Lennon
Chadli
Eriksen

Adebayor

But I would like to see upgrades on Chiriches, Rose and Lennon

Current squad (and returning loanees):

.........................Adebayor

Eriksen..................Holtby...................Lamela

.................Dembele.........Sandro

Ekotto........Chiriches........Dawson.......Walker

...........................Lloris

I'd be interested to try with current

...................... Lloris

Walker ..... Vert ........ Vlad ......... Rose (hopefully upgraded)

............ Sandro .......... Holtby ...........

Lamela .......... Paulinho ......... Eriksen

..................... Soldado .....................

Reasons, don't think any incoming manager is really going to play 4-4-2, Paulinho has shown he can probably score 12-15 goals a season, but needs a defensive shield. Eriksen & Lamela to provide the creativity, Holtby the energy. Picked Soldado because Ade Mk1 is a better striker, but seemed he went back to sleep in the last month or so.

I'd be interested to try with current

...................... Lloris

Walker ..... Vert ........ Vlad ......... Rose (hopefully upgraded)

............ Sandro .......... Holtby ...........

Lamela .......... Paulinho ......... Eriksen

..................... Soldado .....................

Reasons, don't think any incoming manager is really going to play 4-4-2, Paulinho has shown he can probably score 12-15 goals a season, but needs a defensive shield. Eriksen & Lamela to provide the creativity, Holtby the energy. Picked Soldado because Ade Mk1 is a better striker, but seemed he went back to sleep in the last month or so.

Put BAE in for Rose (or better yet, a new left back), and I agree with this 100%. When Paulinho tires or does his invisible bit, I'd sub him for Dembele or Siggy.

Back