• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

Sit down, get comfortable, and be entertained by the following inspirational read from Neil Ashton in yesterday's Sun :

TIM SCARES PEOPLE
Tim Sherwood is a straight-talking, forward-thinking antidote to the yes-men in football… so it’s a shame people are afraid of him

Neil Ashton says the ex-Spurs boss is a refreshing character who transformed the careers of Harry Kane and Danny Rose
THE passion is there. So, too, is the desire to develop top class footballers.
Tim Sherwood, out of the game since he left an ill-conceived consultancy role at Swindon Town, is itching to get back into it.

His record at Tottenham, where he was head of a coaching set-up that brought through Harry Kane, Andros Townsend, Nabil Bentaleb, Ryan Mason, Steven Caulker and Jake Livermore, should open doors.
Kane would fetch £100m in today’s transfer market. All the others have been sold by Spurs for combined fees of £56m.

The reality is that people in the game are afraid of Sherwood.
He is a straight-talker, confident enough in his background as a player, coach and manager at the highest level to speak his mind.
Sparks will fly in his company, but he knows when he has crossed the line.
At Swindon he was given a two-match stadium ban for confronting a referee at half-time during a game against Bury last season. It was a mistake, he was punished, he accepts it.
When he was manager of Aston Villa he tore a hamstring when he put his boot through the water bottles on the edge of the technical area.
He knows that raw emotion, that eagerness, that frustration can be better channelled elsewhere.

In Sherwood’s view there are too many yes-men in the sport, too many people safeguarding their careers and protecting their positions. Unquestionably, Sherwood is right about that.
He is a different beast, with his Premier League title winner’s medal as captain of Blackburn Rovers a useful back-up in any argument.

Sherwood knows what it takes to become an elite footballer.
He has that advantage over most, making his debut for Watford at the age of 18 before going on to play for Norwich, Blackburn, Tottenham, Portsmouth and three times for England.
His enthusiasm, especially when it comes to the development of young, English players, is infectious.
He was one of them once, making his way into the Watford team when the only overseas player in the squad was the Dutchman Jan Lohman.
The landscape is very different now.

Sherwood is the type to cut through all the hype and hullabaloo of the Premier League, stripping it all away to focus on ability and mentality.
He won a battle with Daniel Levy at Tottenham when he risked jeopardising Roberto Soldado’s market valuation by picking Kane ahead of him.
Sherwood believed Kane was out-performing the £26m signing and lobbied hard for the Englishman’s inclusion in the side.
That pathway, established when Sherwood was working with Harry Redknapp at White Hart Lane, is still in existence today.
The next generation - with Harry Winks, Josh Onomah, Cameron Carter-Vickers - can thank Sherwood for the part he had to play in their development.

Sherwood is not solely responsible, but his single-minded approach certainly created opportunities for young Spurs players.
Beyond that are the intricacies, the trained coaching eye that can be the difference between success and failure.
It was Sherwood’s call to switch Danny Rose, signed from Leeds United, to left-back from left-wing.
Rose, probably England’s first choice left-back, is probably worth £50m.
That is the business side of the sport, but the satisfaction for Sherwood is watching players, nurturing and helping players blossom.

It is obvious he has a knack for it.
This week he has been watching the Under-21 championship, worried by the perpetual shortcomings and weaknesses of England’s kids when it came to the crunch against Germany.
He sees the talent, but not enough first team opportunities as they are making their way through Premier League academies.
Sherwood would have most of them out on loan, making them learn the hard way and toughening up to prepare them for the challenges ahead.
It is an old-school approach, a throwback to a time when English boys could match the mentality of any group of players in the world.
For Sherwood, that is the way forward.

What a load of sycophantic tosh! But actually quite funny to read.
Timmeh getting his media buddy to talk him up. He so deserves another crack at management.
"Tim Sherwood scares people" - yeah, scared that he might go anywhere near their club.
The man is utterly, utterly deluded. And arrogant. Re-writing history.
You'd like to think everyone has seen through him by now. Except maybe if Gold & Sullivan took him at his word : now that would be fun.
So the "yes men" in football are bad, but the old boys' club of ex pros and hacks keeping each other in jobs they aren't nearly qualified for is ok?

He's the football equivalent of Donald Trump.

Completely and utterly under qualified for the job but some people like him because he says stuff that makes modern football seem a bit less scary and that make it sound as if all the problems could be fixed by doing things the way they used to be done before we knew better.

Not even joking he is on sol Campbell's level of delusion ... the wannabe danny dier of football .... Sad

He's on soccer AM this morning. I'm hoping he says something stupid and delusional.

He's currently happy not being work, and isn't 'waiting for the right job' to come along, because he hates that saying.

I'll report back later...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He was asked if he did the groundwork for Poch. He was quick to praise Poch and the club and how it's gone further than when he was there.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping for some good sound bites. Maybe he's been humbled by his time at Villa and Swindon?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Tim, humbled? He'll be back to his best when the Dildo Bros hire him to replace Slaven and he signs Ade in January.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...y-kane-andre-villas-boas-sacked-a8060721.html
tim-sherwood.jpg

Tim Sherwood takes a sip of his Corona and casts his mind back four years, to when André Villas-Boas had lost his job in the wake of Tottenham Hotspur’s 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool, and Daniel Levy asked him to “assume first-team coaching duties” for the immediate future. He accepted without hesitation. It was his first ever senior management position.

Tottenham, it seemed, were in the midst of an all-too familiar crisis. A few days later, Sherwood’s contract was extended until the end of the 2014/15 season, with the club’s official statement to announce the news beginning with the somewhat apologetic acknowledgement that Levy was “extremely reluctant to make a change mid-season”. The news divided fans and players alike.

Sherwood was a rookie, but no experience was needed to know exactly the kind of situation he had on his hands.

“There was a very negative vibe at the club when I took over and the crowd wasn’t happy,” he tells The Independent, leaning back on his chair at a Soho hotel, now two years out of club management. “The club was on the slide. They were down and needed stabilising. Look, they needed someone at the time and there was nobody else to come in, but I was there and knew the players. It was an opportunity for me and I took it.”

What happened next depends entirely on your point of view on Sherwood, how high a club like Tottenham should set their aspirations and how much slack young British managers should be afforded in the Premier League. For the majority, Sherwood’s short reign is remembered as underwhelming, with Spurs suffering four-goal defeats to Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Liverpool and finishing sixth in the league table, three points behind Everton and ten behind Arsenal.

Unsurprisingly, Sherwood doesn’t see things like that. Spurs were seventh when he took the job. He handed Harry Kane his full league debut. And, as he was so keen on reminding everybody, at 59.09 per cent he had the best win ratio of any Tottenham manager in the Premier League era. “My record here is second to none,” he bristled after the club’s final home match of the season, shortly before he was sacked.

Four years on, and that number – 59.09 per cent – doesn’t take too long to come up again, as Sherwood mounts the defence for his Tottenham tenure. He flatly rejects the suggestion his time at the club has come to be seen as a failure. “No, it was never a negative thing,” he insists. In fact, he believes he provided the platform for Pochettino's success. “I always knew I was only getting until the end of the season and my win percentage was 59 per cent – which is high," he adds. "And when the guy they have now took over from me, it wasn’t broken. It was a steady ship and he has now added to it.”

Salute.jpg

Perhaps Mauricio Pochettino did inherit a steady ship, but it was undoubtedly sailing through choppy waters. It’s difficult to locate the exact moment, but at some point during the second-half of his first and last season in charge of White Hart Lane, Sherwood switched. With his back against the wall, having fallen out with a number of senior players and an unhealthy chunk of White Hart Lane, he went on the attack: robustly defending his record at every turn and dealing out a series of bitter post-match barbs.

“Without a shadow of a doubt, Tim’s outspokenness came after the realisation that we weren’t going to be there beyond the end of the season,” his former assistant, Les Ferdinand, later told the Guardian. “Tim felt that he had to protect his own corner. Sometimes, if people are not banging the drum for you, you have to bang it yourself. And you have to bang the tambourine. And play the harmonica as well.”

In his recently published book, Brave New World: Inside Pochettino’s Spurs, the Argentine reveals he found the club in a state of listlessness. “The Tottenham dressing room was full of figures who at some point in their careers had been considered stars but had lost their way,” he writes. “And the team didn’t come first. Two weeks after coming here I remember saying to Hugo Lloris, ‘What am I doing here?’”

Sherwood clashed with the likes of Jan Vertonghen, Erik Lamela and Paulinho. He doesn’t dispute he had problems with some of the club’s highest-paid players. “A lot of them were wrangling to leave because there had been a lot of uncertainty,” he admits. “There weren’t too many bad apples – but many of them knew I wasn’t going to be around for the long-term, probably though their agents or something.

“That’s ultimately why I felt the young players deserved their opportunity and there really wasn’t any reason for them to not have the same opportunities as the players that had been brought to the club for between £20-40m. I gave them a chance and, look, then the likes of Kane, Bentaleb, (Danny) Rose and (Kyle) Walker were all integrated into the team.”

It’s this commitment to bringing through young players that Sherwood sees as his biggest similarity with Pochettino, somebody he thinks he could have worked well alongside of.

Tim-Sherwood.jpeg

“I admire what he has done,” he says. “I am just glad that after me somebody came in with the same mindset that I have, which is to give the kids an opportunity to go and play if they are good enough. A lot of people doubted Kane, for example, but like Gareth Southgate at England, I knew those kids and knew they were good enough.

“And then when Pochettino came in, he had obviously all seen them rehearse, hadn’t he? So he takes over, sticks with them and they obviously all do very well. Some he got rid of but they were sold on for a good price and it’s all helped to pay for a nice little training ground.

“So he has done a really fantastic job and, in hindsight, if I'd have known the way he works and the way he likes to develop young players, which is what I like to do, I could have been tempted into staying there to help him out.”

But in the end, Sherwood’s always rocky relationship with the fans was beyond repair, and Levy felt it was impossible for him to continue. Sherwood knew the writing was on the wall, and in his final game of charge hauled a fan out of the crowd, threw his infamous gilet at him and pointed him in the direction of the manager’s chair.

“That guy’s an expert, seriously,” Sherwood joked, after the 3-0 win over Aston Villa. “Every week he tells me what to do. So I have given him the opportunity to do the job.” He would go on to manage Villa next, taking them to an FA Cup and saving them relegation before being sacked the following season. A doomed spell as Swindon’s Director of Football followed, and he has been waiting on his next opportunity ever since.

“I’m interested in any job,” he says. “I’ve had a few chats with clubs at home and abroad and I wouldn’t rule out development coaching again to be honest.”

He pauses. “If somebody wants to show me the same commitment that I would show to the job, then great. But with a lot of the jobs I have discussed since Villa, the clubs have been more keen to speak about the divorce before the marriage. They just want to talk about what happens when it goes wrong and I want the opportunity to build something

And therein lies the problem :
And then when Pochettino came in, he had obviously all seen them rehearse, hadn’t he? So he takes over, sticks with them and they obviously all do very well. Some he got rid of but they were sold on for a good price and it’s all helped to pay for a nice little training ground.

“So he has done a really fantastic job and, in hindsight, if I'd have known the way he works and the way he likes todevelop young players, which is what I like to do, I could have been tempted into staying there to help him out.”

For me, it’s not an AVB v Sherwood competition. Neither did our club particularly proud. But Sherwood has an arrogance that has absolutely no basis in reality.
I wonder if Poch wishes Timmeh was still there to help him out.

And therein lies the problem :
And then when Pochettino came in, he had obviously all seen them rehearse, hadn’t he? So he takes over, sticks with them and they obviously all do very well. Some he got rid of but they were sold on for a good price and it’s all helped to pay for a nice little training ground.

“So he has done a really fantastic job and, in hindsight, if I'd have known the way he works and the way he likes todevelop young players, which is what I like to do, I could have been tempted into staying there to help him out.”

For me, it’s not an AVB v Sherwood competition. Neither did our club particularly proud. But Sherwood has an arrogance that has absolutely no basis in reality.
I wonder if Poch wishes Timmeh was still there to help him out.

Whilst i agree with most of your post, i think you do AVB a big disservice by mentioning him in the same breath as Sherwood; sure in the end AVB disappointed overall but whilst in the job he represented the club well and professionally mostly kept the clubs dignity; AVB didn't show anywhere near the bellendry that Sherwood couldn't help but show almost every time he opened his gob.
That lack of self-awareness and arrogance still lives!

Back