• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

Not really cos half the time im not on here as im at WHL. So it would be an away game. Now im watching today like I say admittedly on a fairly poor quality stream and all I see is us standing off within our last third and evertone having all the ball. Now did we look fairly comfortable? yes we did from what I saw. Ultimately though that is where we slightly differ in that I want to see a team going for it. AVB did that today in terms of personnel but tactics? its happened before so not just a one off.

Its not going off on a 'tiz'. Its not being oblivious to the problem and to try to mitigate the risk of ineffective performances from happening again and again. I can sit here and say everything is hunky dory - we were comfortable we were defending well BUT did we attack well? no. Did we panic when we were defending? yes. Has it happened before? er yes (against Liverscum recently yet statistics may show that Liverscum didnt have much going for them - thats why I dont like stats)

The last ten minutes is a massive issue, as the initial OPs statistics mentions it has cost us a fair few points. We need a 2-0 head start to even consider being comfortable.

I'm with you on this one DHSF. Rossi and others seem to be perrenial Spurs optimists to such an extent that they watch games through rose tinted spectacles. We were second best at Everton on Sunday throughout the game. If we would have won it would have been daylight robbery. Losing goals and points in the last ten minutes is not an isolated incident that can be put down to bad luck. It is the way we play the game in that period - our own negativity is our undoing. WE cant blame that on injuries, poor passing, lack of a Modric - it is just the way we play to invite on continuous pressure to which eventually we succumb.

When someone doesnt learn from their mistakes - what do you call them???

There are no games where they declare the winner at 80 minutes and stop playing. No games where you can win 1.433 points. That is the beauty of football. You are coasting 2-0 like United were-should have been 3-0- the next thing it is 2-2-then you win 3-2 in the last minute. I love it!!!

The table NEVER, EVER lies.

After the final game of the season, I agree.

OptaJoe like this one... Hopefully AVB can solve this conundrum :-k

Twitter / OptaJoe: 80 - Tottenham Hotspur would be top of the Premier League if games this season had lasted just 80 minutes. Spurned [url]http://twitpic.com/blwgob [/URL]

Tottenham80mins701914475_zps63c34bd8.png

The comparison between Spurs and United or City sums it up. That ability to get points late is a feature of most champions. Arsenal always had that in the Vieira era.

P.S. That means we are -10 on goal difference in the last ten minutes. :(

Last edited:
Twitter / OptaJoe: 39 - Tottenham made 39 interceptions vs Swansea, the most by a PL team in a single game since the 2009-10 season. Anticipation.

The comparison between Spurs and United or City sums it up. That ability to get points late is a feature of most champions. Arsenal always had that in the Vieira era.

P.S. That means we are -10 on goal difference in the last ten minutes. :(
At least we didn't concede late on yesterday which hopefully means that AVB' modified training routine has had the desired effect will put an end to this bad habit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...al-say-in-battle-of-pass-masters-8420924.html

...Villas-Boas acknowledged that a tendency to concede late was a concern, although his explanation as to how he had dealt with it meant another trip straight back to the AVB management-speak manual.

“We addressed it among ourselves in training by stimulating concentration in the last part of training,” he said. “It is very difficult, because you can’t recreate the stress of a game environment. But we had a go. It does not mean that the problem is solved, but the players are conscious we have conceded in the past and they want to get it right.

“We have increased the complexity of the tasks the players have been doing at the end of training. The more complex the exercise, the more concentration they need at the end. ”

A couple more recent ones from OptaJoe...

159 - Tottenham Hotspur have fired in more shots on target than any other team in the Premier League this season. Copious.

74% - Tottenham Hotspur have scored the highest proportion of goals in the second half of games this season. Crescendo.

Against the current top six our results don't look quite so clever ...

P6 --- W1 D1 L4 - F9-A14 --- Pts 4

Well, our results in the other table weren't that great either, although we have a better points per game ratio than Arsenal.

Your comments did make me curious about a top 6 mini league though, so here it is (I hope it's accurate):

PWDLFAPts
Chelsea641112813
Manchester United631211910
Emirates Marketing Project6231859
Everton*5221658
Arsenal712410125
Tottenham61149144

*Played 4/5 games at home.

Oops! Why on earth did I mention it?

On a brighter note, after today's game we're unbeaten in ten with only one defeat in our last fourteen in the Prem.

nice one - this to me is a good proxy for the run in to top 4...

Well, our results in the other table weren't that great either, although we have a better points per game ratio than Arsenal.

Your comments did make me curious about a top 6 mini league though, so here it is (I hope it's accurate):

PWDLFAPts
Chelsea641112813
Manchester United631211910
Emirates Marketing Project6231859
Everton*5221658
Arsenal712410125
Tottenham61149144

*Played 4/5 games at home.

No real surprise to see that the stats confirm ManUre have the most lethal strike force, lucky for us that we have had more shots than anyone bar the Scousers to compensate for our poor conversion rate.

According to the figures this person has compiled, Defoe has only the 23rd best goal conversion rate out of Premier League strikers at 10.2% (compared to van Persie at 20.69%, Dzeko at 17.86%, Podolski at 17.50%, Berbatov at 15.38%, Torres at 13.21%)

Who is the most prolific striker in the Premier League? (By @Lewbob91)

And at the other end of the pitch: http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,15116_8499918,00.html

Emirates Marketing Project have allowed fewer shots on target than any other Premier League team this season - just 69 - and so it's no surprise to see they have conceded the fewest goals (24). As you can see from our table from Opta below, 34.8% of the shots on target have ended up as goals, which is the sixth highest conversion rate in the division. In fact the highest is Saturday's opponents Southampton who have conceded from 38.5% on the shots they've allowed on their goal this term. That contrasts heavily with Swansea who have conceded from just 21.5% of the shots on target against them in the league. The Swansea goalkeepers have had a lot of work to do!

Team / Conceded / Shots on Target / % shots on target conceded
Southampton 45 117 38.5%
Wigan 51 135 37.8%
Aston Villa 50 135 37.0%
Liverpool 34 94 36.2%
Tottenham 30 86 34.9%
Emirates Marketing Project 24 69 34.8%
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 46 133 34.6%
Everton 32 99 32/3%
Reading 48 151 31.8%
Norwich 40 126 31.7%
Stoke 31 101 30/7%
Fulham 42 143 29.4%
QPR 41 140 29.3%
West Brom 41 140 29.2%
West Ham 38 136 27.9%
Manchester United 31 116 26.7%
Arsenal 29 109 26.6%
Sunderland 34 135 25.2%
Chelsea 28 114 24.6%
Swansea 29 135 21.5%

Last edited:
Just to put that into perspective, here are where Man United take their shots from and where we take our shots from.

Man United:

10% 6 yard box.

55% 18 yard box.

35% out of the box.

-------

Us:

5% 6 yard box.

39% 18 yard box.

55% out of the box.

Back