• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Spanish Football Thread

NaijaSpurs

Rafael Van Der Vaart

'Jose Mourinho to quit as Real Madrid manager in June'

Jose Mourinho heads into El Clasico with Barcelona facing mounting criticism from both Real MadridÔÇÖs supporters and players, and amid claims his spell as Real Madrid manager will not last beyond the summer.

MourinhoÔÇÖs team are five points clear of Barcelona at the top of the Spanish league, but his position has been undermined by publication of a training-ground argument between the manager and two of his senior players, defender Sergio Ramos and goalkeeper Iker Casillas.
The exchange was carried in full by Madrid-based newspaper Marca, which usually serves a cheerleader for the club. Mourinho has not questioned the accuracy of the report, which portrayed him as tetchy and even paranoid.

Towards the end of SundayÔÇÖs 4-1 win over Athletic Bilbao, some Madrid fans chanted MourinhoÔÇÖs name, as if to indicate their continued support for him despite the report. However, a larger section of the Bernab?®u crowd responded by whistling, sending a clear signal that they are unhappy with the former Chelsea manager.
After the game, a leading Spanish journalist, Siro L??pez of AS, told television viewers Mourinho had decided to leave Madrid at the end of the season. L??pez said his source was one of MourinhoÔÇÖs closest allies.

The training-ground exchange occurred after MadridÔÇÖs 2-1 defeat at home by Barcelona in the Spanish Cup, after which Mourinho was widely criticised for his sideÔÇÖs negative tactics. They go to the Nou Camp needing to win the second leg.

Mourinho claimed Ramos had given a disloyal interview to journalists immediately after the first leg. ÔÇ£You [guys] killed me [with your quotes] in the mixed zone,ÔÇØ Mourinho is reported to have said.
According to Marca, Mourinho then claimed that the media gives Spanish internationals such as Ramos and Casillas preferential treatment, while Mourinho has to defend his team from the sternest criticism.
ÔÇ£As you Spanish are world champions, your friends in the press protect you ... like the goalkeeper,ÔÇØ he said. Casillas overheard and shouted: ÔÇ£Boss, here we say things to our faces.ÔÇØ

Mourinho then became embroiled in an exchange with Ramos over the failure to mark Carlos Puyol for one of BarcelonaÔÇÖs goals.
Ramos had the final word with a devastating reference to MourinhoÔÇÖs modest playing career.
ÔÇ£Depending on the match situation, sometimes itÔÇÖs necessary to change the marking,ÔÇØ he said. ÔÇ£And as you have never been a [professional] player, you wouldnÔÇÖt know that this is sometimes necessary.ÔÇØ

Ramos, though, denied that the exchange revealed divisions within the squad. ÔÇ£Whoever says the changing room is divided or that some kind of fracture exists is lying,ÔÇØ he tweeted yesterday. ÔÇ£This is a great group that is well united, regardless what is said.ÔÇØ
Mourinho has also been criticised for the behaviour of Portuguese defender Pepe, who provoked outrage in Spain by feigning injury during the game against Barcelona before appearing to stamp on Lionel Messi's hand without sanction. The Spanish ruling body said yesterday that it will take no action against Pepe after studying the incident. The player insisted it was accidental.

Publicly, Mourinho insisted that he would win over the fans who barracked him.
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm not bothered by the whistles at me,ÔÇÖ he said after the win over Bilbao. ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs not a problem.
ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs the first time itÔÇÖs ever happened to me. ThereÔÇÖs a first time for practically everything.
ÔÇ£[Zinedine] Zidane was whistled at here. Ronaldo has been *whistled at here. Cristiano [Ronaldo], who is the latest Golden Boot winner, has also been whistled at. Why canÔÇÖt I?
ÔÇ£Zidane responded with his football, the same as Ronaldo and Cristiano.
ÔÇ£I work hard to be able to respond like they did some day, but there may come a day when the fans are sad.ÔÇØ
What was said in the Bernebeiu dressing room

JOSE MOURINHO: You [plural] killed me in the mixed zone.

SERGIO RAMOS: No, mister, you only read what it says in the papers, not everything we said.
JM: Sure, because you Spaniards have been world champions and your friends in the media protect you and because the goalkeeper...

IKER CASILLAS: Eh, Se??or, round here you say things to our faces.

JM: Where were you on the first goal [against Barcelona], Sergio?

SR: Marking Piqu?®.

JM: Well, you should have been marking Puyol.

SR: Yes, but they were blocking us off with Piqu?® and we decided to change the marking.

JM: What? So now youÔÇÖre playing at being coach?

SR: No, but depending on the situation in the game, sometimes you have to change the marking. Because youÔÇÖve never been a player, you donÔÇÖt know that sometimes happens.

Source: Marca

How could they have possibly gotten hold of those quotes? A bug inside someone's pocket?

I call flimflam sensationalist rubbish

How could they have possibly gotten hold of those quotes? A bug inside someone's pocket?

Remember the source of the story is Marca which is 100% pro Real Madrid and thus have lots of close sources/links with the club. Besides if the story was false I am sure Ramos and Casillas would come out and deny it

Just to add - are these the most spoilt fickle qunting fans in the world booing their manager and star players after 2 consecutive draws in the league? Is that what the most succesful club in the last 70-odd years is all about?

And why are they constantly trying to undermine him - who else could manage them and compete against Barcelona's team 5 points clear at the top and on course to smash all league's scoring records? What more do they fcuken want?

Despicable

Marca are pretty well connected within Real Madrid and, probably tellingly for a club that tends to be pretty quick in denying, haven't done so this time.

Just to add - are these the most spoilt fickle qunting fans in the world booing their manager and star players after 2 consecutive draws in the league? Is that what the most succesful club in the last 70-odd years is all about?

And why are they constantly trying to undermine him - who else could manage them and compete against Barcelona's team 5 points clear at the top and on course to smash all league's scoring records? What more do they fcuken want?

Despicable

More than anything else they want to beat Barca. It consumes them and blinds them to how fortunate they are. Winning the league or even the CL is not enough. Just look at what they did to Del Bosque after he guided them through their most successful peroid since the famous Di Stefano/Puskas side. There is no logic to what goes on at that club. They are a bit like Saudi Sportswashing Machine but with money (and class....sorry Greg)

When Madrid play any other team in the division they beat them through pure footballing prowess, but for some reason only known to Jose they abandon that approach against Barca and try strong arm tatics. Strange.

I think Jose might see Spurs as a tempting choice for his next club. Where do you go after you've managed some of the biggest clubs in Portugal, England, Spain and Italy? I guess there is Bayern or Man Utd but a club like Spurs would be a different type of challenge for Jose. You never know.

When Madrid play any other team in the division they beat them through pure footballing prowess, but for some reason only known to Jose they abandon that approach against Barca and try strong arm tatics. Strange.

So if Mourinho came to Spurs he would presumably get our players to kick and gouge our way past teams like Arse, Chelski, Man U, Man C, Liverpool... kick and run and dive and fight and cause a sensation in the press and pressurise the ref and gouge Wenger in the eye and call Dalglish a poo poo... he gets results, but he is not a classy guy

I presume you are being facetious but if your general point is that he does anything to win then I would agree with you.

And if he gouged wenger in the eye then I laugh my arse off.

Despicable

Agree with most of your post. But they don't just want to win, they want to win with style. Brazil are similar. They weren't happy during the last World Cup campaign, even when they were winning. His antics and tactics against Barca must be hard to swallow for most Madrid fans, the added insult to injury is they can't even beat Barca playing this way. They would stand a better chance of beating them if they actually tried to play football. Even Swansea would play more football against Barca than Madrid do. Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world in my eyes, Mourinho's tactics against Barca the last few times they have played them have been embarassing and disgraceful amongst other things and have been met with disdain by most decent football fans. If Mourinho were to come to Spurs and employ the sort of dirty tricks that he gets Pepe to perform, then I want no part of him.

I don't think he's the one instructing that ape-like humanoid to perfrom what he does but that's another story

The thing for me is - look at Utd losing to Liverpool twice in a season (incluing a 4:1 drubbing at home) and still winning the title - question is, what would their fans care more about - another piece of historic silveware or their rivals doing the double on them?

To me personally, if they go to win the league this season it would matter little what happened in the Barcelona games since the ultimate goal has been achieved. Having said that - clearly there are different philosophies amongst the fans so perhaps they'd be happy in beating Barca and coming second in the league? Odd one for me.

Last edited:

Despicable

But you have to remember winning the league is not enough, they need to win it with panache and preferably beating Barca in the process. Remember Capello won the league on different occasions and was let go after winning it because he did not do it with style

To me personally, if they go to win the league this season it would matter little what happened in the Barcelona games since the ultimate goal has been achieved. Having said that - clearly there are different philosophies amongst the fans so perhaps they'd be happy in beating Barca and coming second in the league? Odd one for me.

Actually the philosophy is clear to see - win the league - in style - and outplaying Barca in the process

Which is the point I brought up in my previous post - very different fan ideoloiges and ones which I personally find rather odd and borderline delusional

Doubt you'd find many English fans sharing the same view, better yet in the world

Last edited:
If this game ends in Barca's favor (which it's looking like it will right after half time), will more of the Real fans be turning their backs on Mourinho? He's still kicking ass in the league, so I think their fans are being a bit ridiculous, but I don't really follow La Liga too closely.

Ramos has definitely looked unsure this game. He needs to accept the criticism coming his way.

Back