• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Space Thread

I've read quite a few people talk about this, including some really expensive upmarket speakers.
Why are cross overs skimped on?
Speakers are made to hit a certain price point. They save money where they can to meet that criteria. There are always compromises. A speaker that retails for £1000 contains parts for around £50-100. That's just how it is.

Can you recommend anyone in the Leicester area for this?

The thought of letting someone loose on a pair of two and a half grand speakers, with a saw and some solder, fills me with abject fear.
LOL. Thankfully there is no sawing required. All that is needed is unscrewing the drivers. On that subject, I think they actually used cheap spades for the speaker connectors. Get rid of those and solder the speaker wire to the driver connectors. Spades give a poor connection, and just add impedance, and you don't want that.

This thread could really take off, excuse the pun. In the next few hours we should know whether we are part owners of a failed low orbit satellite company!

Our government have made a 500m bid for OneWeb, and the decision should be made today/tomorrow. Quite an interesting proposition. In one way it’s like investing in a ferry company with no boats. Even SoftBank who bankrolled WeWork etc pulled the plug on OneWeb. And the satellites are not high enough to be used for current GPS - which was the whole point after estimates of making a UK satellite system to replace the EU one went up from 2 to £5b.

But, that said there is great potential for some other kind of system which we trade with the US for use of their GPS satellite. It’s unproven tech but there is potential.

Low earth satellites are how high off the earth? Not sure exactly around 1000kms? Normally GPS 20,000kms? Something like that. The low earth setup was going to be used for internet in Indian and Africa but I think there are other companies who are more advanced than OneWeb, hence them going bankrupt.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

UK Taxpayer is going up against Elon Musk. Although its high risk, I quite like this. Better than throwing away 500m on some nonsense (that said this may turn out to be nonsense and never turn a profit!). Will the government try and use it to leverage post-Brexit deals with the US, India etc? It's an interesting direction. And potentially a way to strengthen ties with other nations.

UK buys £400m stake in bankrupt satellite rival to EU Galileo system

Investment with India made in US firm OneWeb after Brexit locks UK out of Europe’s satellite navigation system

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rupt-oneweb-satellite-rival-eu-galileo-system

Back