• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Space Thread

And this one too:

First_Man_%28film%29.png

What's it about?

It's basically a documentary about the last man on the moon, Gene Cernan, where he looks back at his own life and achievements within the space program. I liked that it was a different take on the whole space exploration saga, and not seen from Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin's viewpoint. Think it's on Netflix.

It's basically a documentary about the last man on the moon, Gene Cernan, where he looks back at his own life and achievements within the space program. I liked that it was a different take on the whole space exploration saga, and not seen from Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin's viewpoint. Think it's on Netflix.

I'll watch that this evening. Thanks.

'8 days to the moon and back' is fantastic if you haven't seen it yet.

What are these discs you speak of ???
Uncompressed 4K UHD and HDR - importantly with lossless Dolby Atmos - which you can’t get on streaming services.

I’ve made a pretty decent investment in home cinema over the years (over £20k on the current set up), so spending £10 a month for unlimited disks in order to get the best quality sound and picture is well worth it.

(I’ve still got iTunes rentals, IPTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV and Disney+ though, so it’s just a case of quality versus convenience at any given time)

It's on Amazon Prime too

Uncompressed 4K UHD and HDR - importantly with lossless Dolby Atmos - which you can’t get on streaming services.

I’ve made a pretty decent investment in home cinema over the years (over £20k on the current set up), so spending £10 a month for unlimited disks in order to get the best quality sound and picture is well worth it.

(I’ve still got iTunes rentals, IPTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV and Disney+ though, so it’s just a case of quality versus convenience at any given time)
All the big movies, and stuff i really like to watch, i get on disc too. The quality is just so much better, although picture is very good on amazon prime, 4k and much less compression than Netflix 4k. "Only" DD sound though.

What you got?

What you got?
LG OLED, Dali Rubicon 5 floorstanders and centre, Rubicon LCR surrounds, couple of Rel T9i subs, and Dali Phantom Atmos speakers. Yamaha 3060 AVR and a Roksan K3 amp for the fronts.
Sources are an Oppo UHD disk spinner, and Appletv4k. (Also hooked up to an Arcam DAC and Streamer/SACD and a pro-ject turntable and lovely valve amp for stereo duties)

Plus a fudgeton of overpriced cabling!

LG OLED, Dali Rubicon 5 floorstanders and centre, Rubicon LCR surrounds, couple of Rel T9i subs, and Dali Phantom Atmos speakers. Yamaha 3060 AVR and a Roksan K3 amp for the fronts.
Sources are an Oppo UHD disk spinner, and Appletv4k. (Also hooked up to an Arcam DAC and Streamer/SACD and a pro-ject turntable and lovely valve amp for stereo duties)

Nice kit, I missed out on the oppo 4k. Thought there was plenty of time to upgrade my 103 and the buggers pulled the plug on them.
There's nothing out there comparable even at £300 dearer.
Cables are a nightmare, eye-watering at times. Last set of interconnects cost more than my first avr.

Word of advice on those Dali's; get someone with GOOD knowledge and measuring equipment to make a new crossover network, or at least replace the capacitors with something like a sonicap, and I believe the low pass inductor is an iron core, which should be replaced with an air core inductor. Just replacing those with parts with better ones of the same value, will totally transform your speakers! They will open up and you will hear details you've never heard before.
Also there is some resonanse in the cabinet you can get rid of by replacing the stuffing with some 3/4" damping foam or felt.
It's quite astonishing how often high-end speakers have very poor quality components in the x-o network.

I've done a quite a few speaker upgrades over the years, and i've found that buying mid-end speakers and upgrading the network, makes the speakers surpass those that cost 2-3 times as much.

Last edited:
Word of advice on those Dali's; get someone with GOOD knowledge and measuring equipment to make a new crossover network, or at least replace the capacitors with something like a sonicap, and I believe the low pass inductor is an iron core, which should be replaced with an air core inductor. Just replacing those with parts with better ones of the same value, will totally transform your speakers! They will open up and you will hear details you've never heard before.
Also there is some resonanse in the cabinet you can get rid of by replacing the stuffing with some 3/4" damping foam or felt.
It's quite astonishing how often high-end speakers have very poor quality components in the x-o network.

I've done a quite a few speaker upgrades over the years, and i've found that buying mid-end speakers and upgrading the network, makes the speakers surpass those that cost 2-3 times as much.
Was just about to post this.

:D

Can you recommend anyone in the Leicester area for this?

The thought of letting someone loose on a pair of two and a half grand speakers, with a saw and some solder, fills me with abject fear.

I've read quite a few people talk about this, including some really expensive upmarket speakers.
Why are cross overs skimped on?

Back