• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Rebuild

We have brought in 9 new players under Mourinho and 13 since that interview?
Not a great strike rate from the Transfer Committee for an outlay of about £270m though.

Lo Celso: much cheaper than Bruno Fernandes for good reason it seems.
Ndombele: immense ability on the ball but still no Mousa, as yet.
Sessegnon: bags of talent but injury prone and not set the Bundesliga alight from what I’ve seen.
Bergwijn: offers about as much goal threat as Lamela.
Hojbjerg: potential heir to Wanyama but needs backup (Skipp) to avoid being run into ground like big Vic.
Reguilon: having a poor run of form but hopefully will be heir to prime Rose.
Bale: thanks for the memories but surely Levy can find a better team player for £1m per month wages.
Rodon: one for the future but how could we not have better LCB options after €iteh outbid us for LaPorte.
Doherty: appears the Wolves fans were right about him being unsuited to playing in a back 4.
Vinicius: a decent goal poacher but surely not worth £41m fee.
Clarke: seems like a highly speculative punt.
Gedson: might as well give our Academy players a chance than use up another non-HG spot in squad.
Hart: well at least he counts as homegrown I suppose.

Last edited:
Not a great strike rate from the Transfer Committee for an outlay of about £270m though.

Lo Celso: much cheaper than Bruno Fernandes for good reason it seems.
Ndombele: immense ability on the ball but still no Mousa, as yet.
Sessegnon: bags of talent but injury prone and not set the Bundesliga alight from what I’ve seen.
Bergwijn: offers about as much goal threat as Lamela.
Hojbjerg: potential heir to Wanyama but needs backup (Skipp) to avoid being run into ground like big Vic.
Reguilon: having a poor run of form but hopefully will be heir to prime Rose.
Bale: thanks for the memories but surely Levy can find a better team player for £1m per month wages.
Rodon: one for the future but how could we not have better LCB options after €iteh outbid us for LaPorte.
Doherty: seems the Wolves fans were right about him being unsuited to playing in a back 4.
Vinicius: a decent goal poacher but surely not worth £41m fee.
Clarke: seems like a highly speculative punt.
Gedson: might as well give our Academy players a chance than use up another non-HG spot in squad.
Hart: well at least he counts as homegrown I suppose.

Looking at that list, it doesn't reflect well on whoever is signing off on transfers. Ndombele, Hojbjerg and Reggie are decent, too early to judge Rodon.

Unfortunately we are not going to have the money for a rebuild. Unless we sell Son and Alli i can’t see us doing much business, a new manager is going to have to come in and try and polish a turd.

I know it goes against history but I think we need to see some form of cash injection to finance the rebuild as we are going to have a few players that we will struggle to get rid of, let alone get Levy valuations for. It doesn’t have to be billions but we need some liquidity to help give a new manager the opportunity to work with a group that can be quickly coached into a system and a short term hit is better than having average players collecting their top 6 wages for mid table performances. It’s frustrating as we are probably not as an attractive proposition as we were under Poch when CL Qualification has become something a player could reasonably expect. The gap widens every year we miss out, which is why I think breaking through it was a bigger achievement than winning a cup.

I still think we need to see the likes of Ndombele, GLC, Sessegnon etc. under a decent coach before making any judgement on them. They played about 2-3 games each under Poch, and now 1-2 under Mason.

In 2014 there were a lot of 'jury's still out' players who really flourished once Poch got his hands on them (Eriksen, Son, Dembele, Kane, Rose, Walker etc.)

Doom and gloom week eh?

- Dele, Dier, Doherty, Sanchez, Sissoko, Aurier, Winks, CCV, Foyth, Rose (released) = outs. Decent money for Dele, Wink will have english tax, small contributions from the others = £55 - 65M?
- Bale, Lamela (offers seem to be in works from Italy), Bergwijn, Toby - decisions to be left to new manager

New CB required (priority spend here), RB and another midfield option
Skipp & Sessegnon to be potentially brought back in
Striker situation to be addressed, Vini or otherwise?

What's interesting is we could get rid of 10 players and really only change 2 first team starters (perhaps that's be the flaw of the rebuild so far?)

I know it goes against history but I think we need to see some form of cash injection to finance the rebuild as we are going to have a few players that we will struggle to get rid of, let alone get Levy valuations for. It doesn’t have to be billions but we need some liquidity to help give a new manager the opportunity to work with a group that can be quickly coached into a system and a short term hit is better than having average players collecting their top 6 wages for mid table performances. It’s frustrating as we are probably not as an attractive proposition as we were under Poch when CL Qualification has become something a player could reasonably expect. The gap widens every year we miss out, which is why I think breaking through it was a bigger achievement than winning a cup.

It's possible if the club has line of sight to it's finances, i.e. will we be playing next season to full crowds and will the stadium be operation for non-football events.

If we don't end the season in front of some crowds and/or timeline to full crowds expecting big spends is unrealistic.

Timing is everything!
Now is not so good!

It's possible if the club has line of sight to it's finances, i.e. will we be playing next season to full crowds and will the stadium be operation for non-football events.

If we don't end the season in front of some crowds and/or timeline to full crowds expecting big spends is unrealistic.
I think progress without spending is also unrealistic, I know it’s difficult for us but I feel we are playing catch up due to the transfer budgets part funding the stadium so we need some form of short term injection to help play catch-up. Otherwise expecting CL qualification with the current group will also be unrealistic which has the trickle down effect of us finding it hard to retain the players we do want and attracting the calibre of ones we do. It can still be seen as a business decision and secured against the infrastructure / future income.

I think progress without spending is also unrealistic, I know it’s difficult for us but I feel we are playing catch up due to the transfer budgets part funding the stadium so we need some form of short term injection to help play catch-up. Otherwise expecting CL qualification with the current group will also be unrealistic which has the trickle down effect of us finding it hard to retain the players we do want and attracting the calibre of ones we do. It can still be seen as a business decision and secured against the infrastructure / future income.

Absolutely, but context is important

- It is not about Spurs spending in isolation
- It is about Spurs spending in relation to other clubs

And this is the part that breaks in most people's head, lets say right now

- We are behind City, Pool, Chelsea, United in squad
- Arsenal, Everton, Leicester probably all feel they are at least competitive with us.

So assuming clubs have equal success rates in buying/hit/miss

- For us to progress we are asking the club to spend more than 7 other clubs while managing a £750M+ debt

I know it isn't the answer people want to hear, but how?

- Arsenal, Everton, Leicester probably all feel they are at least competitive with us.

- For us to progress we are asking the club to spend more than 7 other clubs while managing a £750M+ debt

I don’t expect us to match or outspend City Pool United or Liverpool.

the other clubs you mention - we probably need to match them to stay competitive but I’m not even saying if they spend 200m we need to spend 200m. We just need to have realistic valuations to aid the exits if several players and as much galls Levy it may require some cash to make them leave.
Of course we are a business and it’s his club to do what he wants with it, but having let the playing side suffer for the infrastructure, the plan I assume was for the infrastructure to then strengthen the playing side with greater resources in perpetuity.

Although we were told that wasn’t the plan, we can try and metaphorically fix the roof now before the leak completely ruins the furniture.

The covid impact is a complete spanner in the financial works but for once we need to look at the situation from a footballing perspective and maybe repay the paper profit back to the source of it, even if it erodes the paper profit.

By our owners diluting their holding (they'd still be in for a HUGE profit on their initial investment) and injecting capital.

(Oh and equally as important, bringing in one of the two brilliant available DoFs and Levy moving away from the football side of things completely).

Sell Son and Dele, will get over 100m for the two of them. Try and offload the likes of Sissoko and Winks as well, probably ~50m for 4/5 players.
Use the funds for a top quality CB or two, replacement for Son, young goalkeeper to compete with Lloris, Bissouma off Brighton and it's immediately a better team.

Back