• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Rebuild

In the summer just gone we showed much greater willingness to let players go for low fees - look at Sissoko and Aurier. An increasingly big issue for us is the HG one, particularly if Dele and Winks go and our DoF has much better knowledge of overseas players

He must use the next few months to get up to speed with home grown players.

It must be confusing for him that Brooks who is Welsh counts as home grown while Rodon and Davies do not because they came through the Swansea academy, Swansea who play in the English league system.

Brooks would be an astute signing.

Personally because of our high foreign players I felt Collins at Stoke would have been a better signing then Rodon.

Getting loans for players like Jack Clarke and Harvey White so they could fill out squad places and then giving work experience to define and scarlett and some of our youth keepers.

He must use the next few months to get up to speed with home grown players.

It must be confusing for him that Brooks who is Welsh counts as home grown while Rodon and Davies do not because they came through the Swansea academy, Swansea who play in the English league system.

Brooks would be an astute signing.

Personally because of our high foreign players I felt Collins at Stoke would have been a better signing then Rodon.

Getting loans for players like Jack Clarke and Harvey White so they could fill out squad places and then giving work experience to define and scarlett and some of our youth keepers.
I like brooks but he is made of glass
Needs to get a solid season under his belt again

Created our only shot in the first half, most days i think we expect son to score that.
Second half he was nowhere, but wasn't alone in that.
Very strange game.
He had a free role and did nothing other than make one pass that any player in our team could've made after Ndombele made a nice pass to find Lo Celso.... and I thought even that particular pass from Lo Celso was poorly executed as it was a little behind Son and meant he had to wait for the ball and take it on his back foot instead of the ball being played properly into his path.

Last edited:
I'm begining to wonder whether Paratici was the right choice for us. You can't judge the guy on a single window, of course, but it's quite obvious that he's mainly going to sign players from abroad, at least in the short term.

Considering the state our squad is in, maybe it would have been smarter to go back to the approach that got us where we were in the first place: build a core of yound an talent English/British players and add to the mix a couple of players from the same country. Of course, it's easier said than done. Of course, we did sign a lot of French players and it blew up in our face but, still, I'm afraid our players won't be easier to manager if we keep on bringing in players who have very little in common and throw them in a fractured dressing room.

Regardless of its merit, a poorly-executed strategy won't work but I feel that even if we're successful on the path we've chosen, it won't wield the same results.

I'm begining to wonder whether Paratici was the right choice for us. You can't judge the guy on a single window, of course, but it's quite obvious that he's mainly going to sign players from abroad, at least in the short term.

Considering the state our squad is in, maybe it would have been smarter to go back to the approach that got us where we were in the first place: build a core of yound an talent English/British players and add to the mix a couple of players from the same country. Of course, it's easier said than done. Of course, we did sign a lot of French players and it blew up in our face but, still, I'm afraid our players won't be easier to manager if we keep on bringing in players who have very little in common and throw them in a fractured dressing room.

Regardless of its merit, a poorly-executed strategy won't work but I feel that even if we're successful on the path we've chosen, it won't wield the same results.
We'll see what the approach is going forward.

This was his first window, perhaps he focused more on players he already knew about? Perhaps the covid situation hitting harder for clubs outside England was a factor?

In time I think we have to go more English/British to an extent at least. If for no other reasons than for HG status.

Romero has started well, first PL start up against Chelsea and hardly put a foot wrong imo. Emerson has been thrown in at the deep end, Zaha then Chelsea, looks fine so far. Gollini looks fine as a backup. Gil looks like he could be a star given a bit of time.

Wouldn't have expected English players to bed in any quicker.

Takes time for him to identify those players
I agree though, he does have currently a weak spot on UK players IMO as he has missed some “obvious” ones

I hope that perhaps Hitchen will be used for certain markets where he has good knowledge and contacts and Paratici other markets where he has the same.

I think it is also telling that we appointed Chris Perkins as our 'head of emerging talent'. Perkins did a brilliant job in getting young talent into Derby and I think this may signal that we are looking to operate a model where we purchase good young players from clubs further down the pyramid in the UK.

We'll see what the approach is going forward.

This was his first window, perhaps he focused more on players he already knew about? Perhaps the covid situation hitting harder for clubs outside England was a factor?

In time I think we have to go more English/British to an extent at least. If for no other reasons than for HG status.

Romero has started well, first PL start up against Chelsea and hardly put a foot wrong imo. Emerson has been thrown in at the deep end, Zaha then Chelsea, looks fine so far. Gollini looks fine as a backup. Gil looks like he could be a star given a bit of time.

Wouldn't have expected English players to bed in any quicker.

It goes without saying that he can't be judged on his merit after such a short spell in charge. However, it's not so much his ability to do his job properly I'm questioning than the message his appointment is sending. I don't have enough time and energy to do the necessary research but I'm pretty sure you could find some people who specialize in spotting young English/British talent. Again, I don't know more about football than the next guy but I think I would have gone for such a profile muself, rather than someone like Paratici.

It's good to be able to add talented individual if you already have a strong squad (both mentally or tehnically). At the moment, we need a rebuild and it could be easier to do so with a group of players who share the same 'culture' for lack of a better word. Of course, finding young players is always a gamble (Pekerman, who wond the U-21 world cup a couple of times (I think) famously said that you can't know for sure whether a player will make it as a professional before they're 21 or something). We also got our fingers burnt on a couple of occasions.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the current strategy is to integrate as many players as possible through the academy and let Paratici do his thing. Quite frankly, I don't know enough about our academy players to form on opinion on whether it's a good idea or not. I'm just worried that this is us taking a midterm view when some of our problems require a more urgent answer.

I hope that perhaps Hitchen will be used for certain markets where he has good knowledge and contacts and Paratici other markets where he has the same.

I think it is also telling that we appointed Chris Perkins as our 'head of emerging talent'. Perkins did a brilliant job in getting young talent into Derby and I think this may signal that we are looking to operate a model where we purchase good young players from clubs further down the pyramid in the UK.
When was he appointed?

We should really look to Germany. There are lots of very talented players there, who we should be able to get for somewhat reasonable prices. Leverkusen have a few, like Florian wirtz, who is exactly the kind of player we miss. Kind of Eriksen, but more attacking/direct. Moussa Diaby is another one I'd try to pry off them.
Wirtz is only 18, but he'll be a massive star. Won't be long before Bayern comes along. We should get him before they do.

Last edited:
We should really look to Germany. There are lots of very talented players there, who we should be able to get for somewhat reasonable prices. Leverkusen have a few, like Florian wirtz, who is exactly the kind of player we miss. Kind of Eriksen, but more attacking/direct. Moussa Diaby is another one I'd try to pry off them.
Wirtz is only 18, but he'll be a massive star. Won't be long before Bayern comes along. We should get him before they do.
Florian Nehaus was another I thought would be a good option
I said 3 years ago Haivertz was the one and he has shown bits of it at Chelsea
I agree they have plenty of talent in Germany

He had a free role and did nothing other than make one pass that any player in our team could've made after Ndombele made a nice pass to find Lo Celso.... and I thought even that particular pass from Lo Celso was poorly executed as it was a little behind Son and meant he had to wait for the ball and take it on his back foot instead of the ball being played properly into his path.

As i said he had a poor game, but he did contribute. That pass, a pass you claim any of our players could make, has been sadly lacking this season.

As i said he had a poor game, but he did contribute. That pass, a pass you claim any of our players could make, has been sadly lacking this season.
Lo Celso made 2 key passes on Sunday. Dele hasn't made a single one all season. I can't confirm the rest of the squad stats but I'm fairly certain they all rank very low.

We need more good passers on the pitch (in the correct positions) not fewer.

Lo Celso made 2 key passes on Sunday. Dele hasn't made a single one all season. I can't confirm the rest of the squad stats but I'm fairly certain they all rank very low.

We need more good passers on the pitch (in the correct positions) not fewer.
I don't remember a second key pass from Lo Celso on Sunday? I remember the one that he hit into Son (I thought it was a poorly executed pass that was behind him instead of in front of him). What other key pass did he make?

Back