• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Rebuild

I think Winks, Doherty and Davies

And unless Dier has a complete renaissance year, I'd look for a replacement for him next summer as well

We have come a long way in last two years with changing the squad, that 2-3 more and we have a squad that with minor tweaks should be able to push for the next 4-5 years.

And given the resurgence of Harley and Dier, I see no reason why Winks couldn’t do the same. Doherty is a newcomer, but him too.

I think what we needed was enough of a clear out that we could claw back some feeling of freshness that we lost from the best years of Poch. And certain players had been here too long plus were in or getting to their 30s.

I think we’ve now done a lot of the heavy lift, and the ones still here have an opportunity to stake their claim. I wouldn’t write Winks off.

And given the resurgence of Harley and Dier, I see no reason why Winks couldn’t do the same. Doherty is a newcomer, but him too.

I think what we needed was enough of a clear out that we could claw back some feeling of freshness that we lost from the best years of Poch. And certain players had been here too long plus were in or getting to their 30s.

I think we’ve now done a lot of the heavy lift, and the ones still here have an opportunity to stake their claim. I wouldn’t write Winks off.

I think they all have the season (with the possible exception of Doherty) to prove themselves

But Doherty will be 30 in January, so I really don't see it happening for him (he was a stopgap measure for a stopgap manager), Dier is 28, so should be coming into his prime as a CB now.

Winks is scarily still only 25 ..

I think Winks, Doherty and Davies

And unless Dier has a complete renaissance year, I'd look for a replacement for him next summer as well

We have come a long way in last two years with changing the squad, that 2-3 more and we have a squad that with minor tweaks should be able to push for the next 4-5 years.
Given that they're still here this season will be decisive for them.

Difficult to see Doherty succeed with Tanganga ahead of him at the moment and Emerson coming in.

For Davies I think it will depend on how well Sessegnon does. If Sessegnon doesn't step up Davies is a reliable and good option.

Winks will have to step up to stay. Change of system might help him, but right now it's difficult to see a good path to him doing that. Behind both Skipp and Hojbjerg for the central role in the midfield three I'd guess, not sure he's particularly well suited to any of the box to box roles in this system. Depends on Lo Celso and Ndombele ultimately.

For Dier and Sanchez I think the test will be if either (or both) can prove themselves as a good partner to Romero. I'm guessing Romero is more comfortable on the right, that perhaps makes it easier for Dier to do that as he's used to playing the left centre back role whereas Sanchez isn't.

I saw people calling for a total rebuild just now in the match thread, but the point of days like today is that we are in the midst of the rebuild that Poch called for, and that started belatedly last summer. Days like today are par for the course, for now, especially when there are clubs that can throw money around like Chelsea.

So five games in, a couple of good moments of football (large parts of the first half today, parts of the City game), and some pretty soulless performances that are very reminiscent of last year (Wolves, Palace, Rennes). I thought Hojbjerg was very good today, very encouraging. Dele and N'Dombele were trying hard (in the first half), and Romero and Dier were solid. I keep looking at the full-back positions and at creativity from midfield as places that could or should be improved next. We haven't seen enough of Emerson yet, so we can only judge him in January/February. Reguilon again made some basic defensive errors (like allowing Azpilicueta to surprise him on the inside in the first half). He has so much potential, but I agree with Nuno that as a FB he should be solid first and foremost. Lo Celso remains the real enigma to me. I thought he was ok today - keeping in mind also that he has just come back from Croatia - but I don't recall a single match in which he has been decisive for us.

Last edited:
Lo Celso remains the real enigma to me. I thought he was ok today - keeping in mind also that he has just come back from Croatia - but I don't recall a single match in which he has been decisive for us (except maybe City at home last year when he came on in the second half).
Really? I thought he was terrible, the weakest player on the pitch by either team by far…. Didn’t impact our attack and didn’t help defend, I was really confused when he came out again for the second half as I have no idea how a player can have a first half like that and not get hooked at half time.

Really? I thought he was terrible, the weakest player on the pitch by either team by far…. Didn’t impact our attack and didn’t help defend, I was really confused when he came out again for the second half as I have no idea how a player can have a first half like that and not get hooked at half time.

He's a midfielder, but we were playing him RW. As stupid as playing Dele, a number 10, in midfield. Square pegs, round holes

I think without the ball he was important in the first half, offering constant opportunity for N'Dombele to pass forward rather than back or sideways. When we criticize the likes of Winks on here for not passing forward, that's also because nobody makes himself available, and Lo Celso did today. You could see glimpses also that he has the potential (with Tanguy) to play at pace through a congested midfield. But he does not add nearly enough to our midfield creativity, and after 27 months or so, I don't expect a great deal of improvement.

I think without the ball he was important in the first half, offering constant opportunity for N'Dombele to pass forward rather than back or sideways. When we criticize the likes of Winks on here for not passing forward, that's also because nobody makes himself available, and Lo Celso did today. You could see glimpses also that he has the potential (with Tanguy) to play at pace through a congested midfield. But he does not add nearly enough to our midfield creativity, and after 27 months or so, I don't expect a great deal of improvement.
I’ll have to watch the game again…. From my seat in the East stand he looked terrible. Strolled around doing nothing.

The rebuild wont start till we have a proper clear out and stop over valuing dross like winks and davies etc. I really think we should be brave and get rid of most of the crap and use youngsters for squad filler and only bother buying players like romero who looks class to me, think the is something there with Gill as well.

Really do not think we should have given Son a new contract and said that at the time, Kane and Dele have been here to long as well they have gone stale. Time to renew.

I thought he was awful too and I like him
Him and dele looked so odd the pace and uncomfortable
That first half we looked like we wanted to battle and edged it
As soon as they changed the set up with kante we were changing shadows
And dele playing on the left is just odd. He can’t pass with his left and slows it down
Lo Celso was worse though

The rebuild wont start till we have a proper clear out and stop over valuing dross like winks and davies etc. I really think we should be brave and get rid of most of the crap and use youngsters for squad filler and only bother buying players like romero who looks class to me, think the is something there with Gill as well.

Really do not think we should have given Son a new contract and said that at the time, Kane and Dele have been here to long as well they have gone stale. Time to renew.

Pruning the squad from players who lack quality or have become stale is one thing. Chucking the baby with the bath water is another... Son is the only shining light we have at the moment and would shine brighter if wee played him through the middle...

Will be interesting to see how much cash we have available next summer. Paratici and team really need to earn their corn

Priorities IMO are a creative attacker (Buendia or Mahrez style) and someone who can retain the ball in midfield (Tielemans stylee). And obviously another CF. If we can get any of those in Jan, so muh the better

Wont obviously be those specific players, but those were all found for reasonable prices, and if we flog Winks, Dele, Doherty and Davies we can bring in reasonable cash too (if buyers can be found)

Will be interesting to see how much cash we have available next summer. Paratici and team really need to earn their corn

Priorities IMO are a creative attacker (Buendia or Mahrez style) and someone who can retain the ball in midfield (Tielemans stylee). And obviously another CF. If we can get any of those in Jan, so muh the better

Wont obviously be those specific players, but those were all found for reasonable prices, and if we flog Winks, Dele, Doherty and Davies we can bring in reasonable cash too (if buyers can be found)

I think he will scout a lot in the freebie market.

Hardest bit will be the selling

Hardest bit will be the selling

In the summer just gone we showed much greater willingness to let players go for low fees - look at Sissoko and Aurier. An increasingly big issue for us is the HG one, particularly if Dele and Winks go and our DoF has much better knowledge of overseas players

In the summer just gone we showed much greater willingness to let players go for low fees - look at Sissoko and Aurier. An increasingly big issue for us is the HG one, particularly if Dele and Winks go and our DoF has much better knowledge of overseas players
Agreed again
He (IMO) doesn’t have a clue about UK leagues
But he does know Europe (who had really heard of Gil)
He needs to juggle a lot of variables over the next 2 windows just to get us somewhere near balanced

Its going to be a long old time until we are back where we were with Peak Poch.

That level could easily take 5-10 years. Kane and Son will likely have left or retired by then.

We need to shop well and hope our younger signings or academy products settle and gel. Players like Romero, Skipp, Sarr, Gil, Tanganga, Regulion and then add 2-3 to them each summer and hope the odd Scarlett or Devine comes through

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Created our only shot in the first half, most days i think we expect son to score that.
Second half he was nowhere, but wasn't alone in that.
Very strange game.

Back