• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

Still think our squad is not quite good enough to win the league but our first 11 are flying right now! The deficit at the moment is too much to claw back but if we can knock it down to 3 or 4 points then I may change my opinion. We were chasing Leicester last season, Chelsea are a much, much better side with an even better manager. Plus they have won a title just 2 seasons ago.

Then there's Arsenal; I don't think their starting 11 is better than ours but they have a deeper squad and it sickens me to write this, but their players just won't accept finishing below us. I can see them being in the race just because we are. Finishing above them isn't the be all and end all but we've got to do it at some point just to get that monkey off our back. If the unthinkable happens and Chelsea do wobble and fall behind us and Arsenal, I wouldn't be confident of us finishing above Arsenal.

Given how we're playing now I'd be gutted if we don't get at least top 4.

I still think we need to keep an eye on the EL just incase the league form goes tits up; it is a very winnable competition and easy route to CL qualification.

I think 'very winnable' is making it sound easier than it is. There's a number of half decent teams left in it and also teams who will make it a higher priority than us. We should be able to rest say 5 first choice players each game (and, by 'rest', I mean tell them to stay at home with their feet up) and play people like Son, Sissoko, Trippier, Davies, Winks etc

Still think our squad is not quite good enough to win the league but our first 11 are flying right now! The deficit at the moment is too much to claw back but if we can knock it down to 3 or 4 points then I may change my opinion. We were chasing Leicester last season, Chelsea are a much, much better side with an even better manager. Plus they have won a title just 2 seasons ago.

Then there's Arsenal; I don't think their starting 11 is better than ours but they have a deeper squad and it sickens me to write this, but their players just won't accept finishing below us. I can see them being in the race just because we are. Finishing above them isn't the be all and end all but we've got to do it at some point just to get that monkey off our back. If the unthinkable happens and Chelsea do wobble and fall behind us and Arsenal, I wouldn't be confident of us finishing above Arsenal.

Given how we're playing now I'd be gutted if we don't get at least top 4.

I'm just gonna throw in my views on that ...

Chelseas bench yesterday had:
Begovic - a great reserve and IMO better than courtois
Ivanovic - he has been great but has oooked woefully out of place since beginning of last season and his legs have gone
Fabregas - works so well with Costa but doesn't with others
Zouma - a very inexperienced centre back but potentially good
Loftus Cheek - a kid again
Batshuiyi - a kid again who the manager doesn't rate
Chalobah - a kid again

They had 2 experienced pros one of whom has lost it and 4 kids admittedly two that cost a lot of money but they don't have the depth people claim IMO but do have the benefit of playing less game. The costa thing is big though as he is currently irreplaceable as they actually have to play football when he isn't there

Arsenals bench
Perez - a one season wonder in Spain who has been actually ok he without scoring many
Ospina - a solid if unspectacular back up
oxo - spends ,ore time at the barbers than on the pitch
Holding - a kid again with no top level experience
welbeck - a good player and one that will have an impact for them if he remains fit I'm sure
Reins-Adler - who??
Maitland-Niles - who again???

They also had to okay Gabriel at right back as he is utter dog turd so again where is this strength in depth

We had players like Jansenn and Wimmer missing from our squad yesterday and their both proper full internationals although how good they are is clearly up for some argument from some. They weren't out injured though which is key for me to demonstrate actual depth

Injuries will play a part for ALL the sides and I do think the team that wins it this season will have earned it more than in any I've watched for a long time. Let's not under estimate how good we are though

[QUOTE="Eriktheviking, post: 884511, member: 89"]I still think we need to keep an eye on the EL just incase the league form goes tits up; it is a very winnable competition and easy route to CL qualification.

What we have failed to do recently in KO ties is kill the game in the first match to enable us to take the second leg easy, or alternatively, set up for a bore draw with the second string in the first leg and play a full team in the second leg. The one thing Poch does constantly in two leg matches, and annoys the fudge out of me, is play moderately weakened teams or a 60%/70% team; to me it should be play the best 11 available or rest all the first 11 and set up to be hard to beat.[/QUOTE]

i agree with keeping an eye on the EL too as its winnable, however i don't think we can try for both, and i hope that poch will be able to sense when to make that call - timing will be crucial.

but odds are he won't as he his new to this. and the likes of wenger has spent his whole career trying to win something significant whilst staying in the top 4.

I still think we need to keep an eye on the EL just incase the league form goes tits up; it is a very winnable competition and easy route to CL qualification.

What we have failed to do recently in KO ties is kill the game in the first match to enable us to take the second leg easy, or alternatively, set up for a bore draw with the second string in the first leg and play a full team in the second leg. The one thing Poch does constantly in two leg matches, and annoys the fudge out of me, is play moderately weakened teams or a 60%/70% team; to me it should be play the best 11 available or rest all the first 11 and set up to be hard to beat.

My position on the EL is that we have had many cracks at it but haven't progressed past the last 16 since 2007! We finished 3rd in the league last season and should have comfortably finished 2nd. As AdamB said, there's a few teams who will take it more seriously than we will. If we get to the last 8, then I agree we should throw more weight into it. But there's too many games at this point and we're doing too well in the league for me to consider it a high priority.

I think we have the best defence of the bunch though Vertonghen's injury is a huge blow. How big a blow will depend on Wimmer, who I do rate, but this injury weakens us. In fact I think injuries or lack of them may just decide things this year. Imagine Kane getting side-lined again. I don't think we would maintain challenge if that was to happen.

Similarly I think what happens to Costa will have a massive bearing on Chelsea's fate. It isn't an injury with him of course but if he rides off into the sunset this transfer window then I will be twice as confident of mounting a challenge on the summit.

I'm just gonna throw in my views on that ...

Chelseas bench yesterday had:
Begovic - a great reserve and IMO better than courtois
Ivanovic - he has been great but has oooked woefully out of place since beginning of last season and his legs have gone
Fabregas - works so well with Costa but doesn't with others
Zouma - a very inexperienced centre back but potentially good
Loftus Cheek - a kid again
Batshuiyi - a kid again who the manager doesn't rate
Chalobah - a kid again

They had 2 experienced pros one of whom has lost it and 4 kids admittedly two that cost a lot of money but they don't have the depth people claim IMO but do have the benefit of playing less game. The costa thing is big though as he is currently irreplaceable as they actually have to play football when he isn't there

Arsenals bench
Perez - a one season wonder in Spain who has been actually ok he without scoring many
Ospina - a solid if unspectacular back up
oxo - spends ,ore time at the barbers than on the pitch
Holding - a kid again with no top level experience
welbeck - a good player and one that will have an impact for them if he remains fit I'm sure
Reins-Adler - who??
Maitland-Niles - who again???

They also had to okay Gabriel at right back as he is utter dog turd so again where is this strength in depth

We had players like Jansenn and Wimmer missing from our squad yesterday and their both proper full internationals although how good they are is clearly up for some argument from some. They weren't out injured though which is key for me to demonstrate actual depth

Injuries will play a part for ALL the sides and I do think the team that wins it this season will have earned it more than in any I've watched for a long time. Let's not under estimate how good we are though

Fabregas would walk into most team's starting lineups. Batshuyi whilst still raw and potential at this point is very highly rated. Diego Costa wasn't even in the squad and they won easily. They had Willian on the bench against us!

Arsenal have Giroud who only recently forced his way into the side, he was a backup for most of the season and a hell of a good striker to have as a backup option. He's not world class but he gets important late goals and wins everything in the air. Welbeck is a bit overrated IMO as he doesn't score enough but he's a useful option plus he works hard. Arsenal seem to have numerous injuries to key players every season but always manage to recover to finish in the top 4 (Cazorla has been injured for a while I believe?).

Fabregas would walk into most team's starting lineups. Batshuyi whilst still raw and potential at this point is very highly rated. Diego Costa wasn't even in the squad and they won easily. They had Willian on the bench against us!

Arsenal have Giroud who only recently forced his way into the side, he was a backup for most of the season and a hell of a good striker to have as a backup option. He's not world class but he gets important late goals and wins everything in the air. Welbeck is a bit overrated IMO as he doesn't score enough but he's a useful option plus he works hard. Arsenal seem to have numerous injuries to key players every season but always manage to recover to finish in the top 4 (Cazorla has been injured for a while I believe?).

Cazorla is out for the season apparently

Giroud is vital for them

Costa looks like he is off and they would need to replace him asap but these things are never straight forward

fabregash is a good player but strangely doesn't suit them in this system unless he has Costa to feed (those two work amazingly well together)

Batshuiyi is highly rated but then so is/was Jansenn

Willian is a very good player but I was just highlighting the teams and squads from this weekend.

I think if we are within 5 points of Chelsea after the next 4 games, we will win it.

agreed - we can't be sure of anything until after the Liverpool game. We'll have a very clear view of our objectives then. Hopefully we'll be close to Chelsea or we could be playing catch-up for 4th. 4 massive games coming up.

It's great to have a top 6 this year. Means plenty of head to heads in the schedule.

I think Chelsea will still win it. They have already racked up a load of points and appear to have a method of overcoming the lower teams quite easily. The Costa situation is definitely a (welcome)spanner in the works.

I would dismiss Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project solely on the fact that their defence and especially goalkeepers are not up to it. All champions have this dialled.

As for us.....when we're good we are very very good. Us and Chelsea look the most complete teams, best drilled, full buy in of system and tactics. Injuries and suspensions will play a massive part due to other differences being quite minor.

EL will be dealt with round by round depending on our league form/position (just as it was last year) , there is no point second guessing it now.

If we're in the hunt, then I'm a bit worried about our last four fixtures.
Leicester (a)
Arsenal
West Ham (a)
Man Utd

It's great to have a top 6 this year. Means plenty of head to heads in the schedule.

I think Chelsea will still win it. They have already racked up a load of points and appear to have a method of overcoming the lower teams quite easily. The Costa situation is definitely a (welcome)spanner in the works.

I would dismiss Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project solely on the fact that their defence and especially goalkeepers are not up to it. All champions have this dialled.

As for us.....when we're good we are very very good. Us and Chelsea look the most complete teams, best drilled, full buy in of system and tactics. Injuries and suspensions will play a massive part due to other differences being quite minor.

EL will be dealt with round by round depending on our league form/position (just as it was last year) , there is no point second guessing it now.

Leicester (a)
Arsenal
West Ham (a)
Man Utd

But we all have to play each other twice (cliched but true)

One concern with those is that there against teams who will up their game due to the nature of where we may be at and who we are

Leicester (a)
Arsenal
West Ham (a)
Man Utd

You forgot Hull (a) last match. Although I think they would be down by then. But I suppose that didnt matter when we played Saudi Sportswashing Machine...

But those two teams would up their game against us regardless. So it doesn't matter to me. We will beat them if we are good enough.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I t does appear we have more teams than others that REALLY want to beat us. Besides the obvious London derbies, Southampton get fired up more and now it seems Leicester have joined our 'fan club'

I agree that when the Spurs 11 is fit - no team can match up with them as long as the refereeing is right.

I disagree wrt Tottenham's bench strength. The Spurs bench is not good enough for the run. Winning the EPL will depend on keeping the first 11 fit. The weakness is lack of depth in the Eriksen role, the forward and the central midfield roles.

Forwards: Janssen is not good enough this season. Son is inconsistent. I would hope that Poch gives Shayon Harrison a chance but he hasnt done so. I really hope he does so in the cup game.

Central Midfield: We are light in personnel. The development of Winks is key in the CM role. However if two of the key CMs get injured - who is the backup? The CMs at Spurs are Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Eriksen (can fill in there), Dier (can fill in there), Onomah (too young and not ready IMHO) and Alli (do you really want him there). IMHO Spurs need to loan in a CM in that position.

Eriksen: No one can do what he does for Spurs. There is no backup. I hear names like Coric, Isco etc ....

The strong areas are defence, goal keeping and the wings. We are well covered there.

agreed - we can't be sure of anything until after the Liverpool game. We'll have a very clear view of our objectives then. Hopefully we'll be close to Chelsea or we could be playing catch-up for 4th. 4 massive games coming up.

Liverpool is a massive bench mark as our record there is atrocious

I've seen us batter them and lose and I've seen us get absolutely maimed

I agree that when the Spurs 11 is fit - no team can match up with them as long as the refereeing is right.

I disagree wrt Tottenham's bench strength. The Spurs bench is not good enough for the run. Winning the EPL will depend on keeping the first 11 fit. The weakness is lack of depth in the Eriksen role, the forward and the central midfield roles.

Forwards: Janssen is not good enough this season. Son is inconsistent. I would hope that Poch gives Shayon Harrison a chance but he hasnt done so. I really hope he does so in the cup game.

Central Midfield: We are light in personnel. The development of Winks is key in the CM role. However if two of the key CMs get injured - who is the backup? The CMs at Spurs are Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Eriksen (can fill in there), Dier (can fill in there), Onomah (too young and not ready IMHO) and Alli (do you really want him there). IMHO Spurs need to loan in a CM in that position.

Eriksen: No one can do what he does for Spurs. There is no backup. I hear names like Coric, Isco etc ....

The strong areas are defence, goal keeping and the wings. We are well covered there.

Agree about the sentiment about keeping the first 11 fit, however for me the key players to keep fit are Kane and Alderweireld and a exact like for like for Eriksen, though in the latter case we have players who can do something of a similar job.

Dier is a CM, not a CB so we are ok for cover there (Dier, Dembele, Wanyama and Winks)

Liverpool is a massive bench mark as our record there is atrocious

I've seen us batter them and lose and I've seen us get absolutely maimed

Agree. However I feel like waiting till March before I decide on where Spurs will finish. We are flying right now because everyone is playing the same number of games. Once Europe enters the equation, we will know if Poch has learnt his lesson from last season. Will he focus on qualifying for CL or winning a domestic cup or winning the Europa?

I still think we need to loan in a CM. Perhaps take in someone who is not playing in the EPL teams.

Back