• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Other Clubs Transfer Rumours and News Thread

Irresponsible Redknapp puts QPR's future at risk with scattergun approach

The Rs' boss got Deadline Day off to a rip-roaring start with the capture of Christopher Samba, but in doing so has gambled the long-term security of the west London club

Few players or managers are as synonymous with Deadline Day – in all its capital-lettered, live-blogging, breaking news glory – as QPR boss Harry Redknapp. The 65-year-old has been a consistently entertaining and active member of the transfer window soap opera since its conception.

No other car window in Britain is pre-fixed with the word “famous”, no other manager is more open with the press, oozing (or should that be Uzi-ing?) transfer exclusives, no other person is as diarrhetic a font of news and drama.

But Redknapp’s value for money comes at a cost, a cost QPR are likely to bear long after their current manager has left the club. In the pursuit of survival, Redknapp’s irresponsible and hypocritical conduct in the transfer market has turned QPR into a ticking time bomb.

On Wednesday, the ex-Tottenham manager activated the £12.5 million release clause in Anzhi Makhachkala centre-back Christopher Samba’s contract – a player deemed too expensive by former Rs boss Mark Hughes, who was lambasted by successor Redknapp for his cavalier spending.

“There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money,” Redknapp complained last month. “I don’t really want to see the owners have their pants taken down like they have in the past.”

Fast-forward a month and Redknapp is pulling pants down like Silvio Berlusconi at a ‘Bunga Bunga’ party. Samba, who was signed by Hughes for Blackburn for a mere £450,000, has been handed a contract worth £100,000-a-week. As such, the total outlay for the deal will exceed £35m.

Loic Remy also joined the Hoops on a deal worth £80,000-a-week. “You shouldn't be paying massive wages when you've got a stadium that holds 18,000 people,” said Redknapp, weeks before contradicting his own advice in explosive, record fee-smashing fashion – though he pleads ignorance of the financial details of the deals.

The comparisons with Redknapp’s time at Portsmouth are obvious and, frankly, scary, while Tottenham fans will note the stockpiling of players with little or no re-sale value. Sandbanks’ most famous resident gambled Portsmouth’s future on the acquisition of star players for big fees on astronomical wages and left a sinking ship before Pompey’s subsequent administration and relegation.

Redknapp’s approach to transfers isn’t so much ‘boom or bust’ as ‘bust or bust’. Even if QPR’s deals keep them in the Premier League this season, how can they possibly sustain their ever-expanding wage bill in the long-term?

Of course, it is not Redknapp’s fault that he’s been forced to throw money at players, oh no, but those nasty devious agents: “It’s like gang warfare…they’re all fighting for the big money – that’s the problem,” says Aitch. “It’s a bit like ice-cream sellers in Glasgow,” he continued, referencing the so-called Ice Cream Wars of the 1980s that claimed six lives.

Redknapp’s response within such a climate is to have chauffeur extraordinaire Kevin Bond drive him around town while he flings flakes and hundreds-and-thousands out of his car window, luring players (from Samba to Jermaine Jenas) and their representatives towards Loftus Road like the Pied Piper of White City – an effect so intoxicating that it turned Peter Odemwingie rather loopy.

Nevertheless, the 65-year-old thinks of himself as a voice of reason and common sense in the mad and extortionate world of football transfers, even though it is a toxic environment that he continues to fuel.

They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results, yet Redknapp is, once more, veering towards a blackhole of his own making. Samba and Remy may keep QPR up, but the long-terms costs, to the club and the fans, could dwarf the fees they have spent this January.

I don't think it's fair to blame Redknapp for the spending crazy at QPR. He's always been a manager that spends whatever money the chairman lets him spend, like the vast majority of managers. It has lead to financial issues at some clubs he's been at (particularly Pompey of course), but I think the chairman is the one to blame, not the manager.

Actually had this discussion early on under Redknapp's career at Spurs where a mate of mine (Liverpool fan) made the point that several clubs he's managed has been left in financial problems. I can't be bothered checking up the exact situations right now, but I think it was pretty much true. I said at the time that it was the chairman's responsibility and that I was confident Levy wouldn't lead us down that path.

I don't think it's fair to blame Redknapp for the spending crazy at QPR. He's always been a manager that spends whatever money the chairman lets him spend, like the vast majority of managers. It has lead to financial issues at some clubs he's been at (particularly Pompey of course), but I think the chairman is the one to blame, not the manager.

Actually had this discussion early on under Redknapp's career at Spurs where a mate of mine (Liverpool fan) made the point that several clubs he's managed has been left in financial problems. I can't be bothered checking up the exact situations right now, but I think it was pretty much true. I said at the time that it was the chairman's responsibility and that I was confident Levy wouldn't lead us down that path.

Agreed. It is a weak chairman that lets a manager overspend.

Obviously QPR do not feel like they are overspending if the chairman can finance them.

QPR's problems will not be due to Redknapp, they will be due to Fernandes

and to some degree Hughes who purchased an unbalanced squad

To some extent yes, the way he spent the money the chairman gave him was poor.

Interestingly Norwegian TV said yesterday that despite Redknapp being happy enough during interviews as the window was closing he had looked distinctly tinkled off when the cameras were turned off. Maybe he didn't quite have as good a deadline day as he wanted, could also be the whole Odemwingie situation of course.

But Redknapp’s value for money comes at a cost, a cost QPR are likely to bear long after their current manager has left the club. In the pursuit of survival, Redknapp’s irresponsible and hypocritical conduct in the transfer market has turned QPR into a ticking time bomb.

On Wednesday, the ex-Tottenham manager activated the £12.5 million release clause in Anzhi Makhachkala centre-back Christopher Samba’s contract – a player deemed too expensive by former Rs boss Mark Hughes, who was lambasted by successor Redknapp for his cavalier spending.

“There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money,” Redknapp complained last month. “I don’t really want to see the owners have their pants taken down like they have in the past.”

Fast-forward a month and Redknapp is pulling pants down like Silvio Berlusconi at a ‘Bunga Bunga’ party. Samba, who was signed by Hughes for Blackburn for a mere £450,000, has been handed a contract worth £100,000-a-week. As such, the total outlay for the deal will exceed £35m.

Loic Remy also joined the Hoops on a deal worth £80,000-a-week. “You shouldn't be paying massive wages when you've got a stadium that holds 18,000 people,” said Redknapp, weeks before contradicting his own advice in explosive, record fee-smashing fashion – though he pleads ignorance of the financial details of the deals.

man has no principles

It was hypocritical yes, but not irresponsible. It is Redknapps job to keep them in the Premier League, not to manage their finances.

If Redknapp thought a CB would keep them in the league then by all means buy one.

Has he really improved the squad with his spending though? It doesn't look any less unbalanced and what they really needed was a striker, hence the bids for Crouch, Odemwingie. Looks more like just increasing the wage bill, now totaling 30 players.

INOUT
Loic RemyDjibril Cisse
Chris SambaAnton Ferdinand
Jermaine JenasAlejandro Faurlin
Andros TownsendKieron Dyer
Tal Ben HaimRyan Nelsen
Suk-Yoon YoungRob Hulse

Has he really improved the squad with his spending though? It doesn't look any less unbalanced and what they really needed was a striker, hence the bids for Crouch, Odemwingie. Looks more like just increasing the wage bill, now totaling 30 players.

INOUT
Loic RemyDjibril Cisse
Chris SambaAnton Ferdinand
Jermaine JenasAlejandro Faurlin
Andros TownsendKieron Dyer
Tal Ben HaimRyan Nelsen
Suk-Yoon YoungRob Hulse

Remy > Cisse
Samba > Nelsen > Ferdinand

That's made them stronger I think.

Faurlin leaving is a strange one though, had been a part of their side since the promotion season I believe and looked good last year. Certainly looked better than Jenas.

Sky Sports Football @SkyFootball

Liverpool have already agreed to sell Andy Carroll to West Ham at the end of the season, according to David Sullivan.

Sky Sports Football @SkyFootball

Liverpool have already agreed to sell Andy Carroll to West Ham at the end of the season, according to David Sullivan.

Wow, I wonder just how much of the £35M they are going to recouperate.
I reckon West Ham will pay just around £15M.
Not sure how they are going to fund this either, considering they paid out £14M for Jarvis and are still in debt...

Wow, I wonder just how much of the £35M they are going to recouperate.
I reckon West Ham will pay just around £15M.
Not sure how they are going to fund this either, considering they paid out £14M for Jarvis and are still in debt...

Surely they didn't pay £14M for Jarvis!!!

ben haim's role is to pass on his experience to the defence. much like gallas and that spanish (?) CB we had for a season or so.

I get that benefit but as a player Nelsen is superior

Harry must be pretty happy all things considered, clean sheet today as well

Back