• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

One of my current biggest regrets is now not having been able to go to the Olympics, to have not seen a live event and not been at the Olympics Park.

I didn't think that the Games would affect me as much as they did. The truth is that the excitement and success of the games carried me away and I started to realise what a massive event that this. Of course by that time it was too late :(

I can't get to any Paralympics Event either as work won't let me take leave before September 17th :(

I'm guessing spitshine didn't celebrate when we finished 4th the first time, or won the Carling Cup.

What!! Just look how we beat the scum, chavs and City to get there was a magnificent achievement as was outplaying the chavs in the CC. Great days.

However, I dont see the correlation with Daley.

I didn't think that the Games would affect me as much as they did. The truth is that the excitement and success of the games carried me away and I started to realise what a massive event that this. Of course by that time it was too late :(

I can't get to any Paralympics Event either as work won't let me take leave before September 17th :(
These games have skewed my entire outlook on sport - I have a much finer appreciation for some of the smaller sports, and am willing to do more participation in athletics and swimming. I think my miles on the bicycle will go up as well.

Just out of interest when people say London, Beijing, Sydney were all great Olympics but Atlanta wasn't.. what were the reasons, was it a mess? I can't really remember it.

Traffic chaos with athletes late for their events, the bombing, being in Atlanta rather than a major world city. A bit like having the games in Leeds rather than London.

Just out of interest when people say London, Beijing, Sydney were all great Olympics but Atlanta wasn't.. what were the reasons, was it a mess? I can't really remember it.

The big issue with Atlanta was the weather... Atlanta in July is terribly muggy and hot. The original bid fudged the weather, I seem to recall they talked about the average temperature over a 24 hours period which completely understated the temperature/humidity in the day time when the athletes had to perform.. as a result, the athletic performances were severely hampered. In addition, Atlanta itself is a hole... and a bomb going off at the Olympic park deffo did not help

Also big issues with sponsorships as well as the bid process being my favourite buttplug. Should always have gone to Athens for the 100 year anniversary.

London is going to be a very hard act to follow.
As a Brit who lives only 70 miles from the capital, it feels great to hear/see people say that. I travelled up to London twice during the games - and even last saturday (which was meant to be one of the busiest days) travel etc was not an issue. It was very busy, but everything ran smoothly. Then when you hear people like Kobe Bryant say that the athletes are very well taken care of, you know that they've done a good job.

There are particular aspects of each Olympics that may stand out (organisation, performances, ceremonies, stadia) - but on the whole, London did a fantastic job.

To all our wonderful athletes who have made us so proud with their fantastic efforts, their commitment and dedication to their training, for their dignity, their humble and respectful attitudes, all I can do is this =D>=D>=D>=D>

I hope our spoilt, over-paid and generally ****ish footballers have taken note of how sportspeople should behave and represent themselves, their sports and their nation.

I never understood why they made such a big issue of the transport. Several million people use public transport during the rush hour periods, while the Olympic venues held tens of thousands with events scheduled at different location and times. Wembley, Twickenham and the Emirates handle similar numbers to the Olympic Stadium with far inferior transport links. Likewise, millions use the roads so how much extra congestion would a few more going to the games cause.

Last edited:
To all our wonderful athletes who have made us so proud with their fantastic efforts, their commitment and dedication to their training, for their dignity, their humble and respectful attitudes, all I can do is this =D>=D>=D>=D>

I hope our spoilt, over-paid and generally ****ish footballers have taken note of how sportspeople should behave and represent themselves, their sports and their nation.

100000000% this.

It will be insteresting to see how football conducts itself now and also if people still care come Nov re; what happened at the Olympics.

Hopefully to legacy work will ensure it doesnt just become a flash in the pan.

It has made me step up my interest in Handball massively - need to get involved in playing that. Maybe even set up a team.

100000000% this.

It will be insteresting to see how football conducts itself now and also if people still care come Nov re; what happened at the Olympics.

Hopefully to legacy work will ensure it doesnt just become a flash in the pan.

It has made me step up my interest in Handball massively - need to get involved in playing that. Maybe even set up a team.

Not that it should stop you playing of course.. But I think some of those sports such as Handball, Basketball, Volleyball etc that were given a fair bit of funding and entry into the games this time because of home advantage will prob suffer now because of their poor results... bit harsh when you consider the tiny % of the overall budget they require.

After watching part of the Charity (sic) Shield yesterday, I suspect anything that got through has already been forgotten.

Have to hold my hands up, I wasn't overly excited about the Olympics until a couple of weeks ago even though I always watch it and enjoy no matter which city hosts it. But I was blown away by it and a massive congratulations must go to Team GB, all the people that worked at all of the venues, the spectators who went to the Olympic stadium in particular and gave our athletes an unbelievable reception, the coaches for each team in each individual sport, Seb Coe and all the people in London who made everybody feel welcome!

Seconded!

Back