• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Knee Jerk thread

We still have only been beaten by Stoke in the last 19 games and that was due to Foy.

Emirates Marketing Project and Man United have both -lost- games recently, we have only -drawn- games recently.

The Wolves game was the first game this season where we dropped points and were red faced.

Knee jerk - work on free kicks? *Shrugs.*

We still have only been beaten by Stoke in the last 19 games and that was due to Foy.

Emirates Marketing Project and Man United have both -lost- games recently, we have only -drawn- games recently.

The Wolves game was the first game this season where we dropped points and were red faced.

we had 7 or 8 corners, and not one was headed by a Spurs player IIRC, they had one and scored from it.

I think we have scored one goal from a corner all season

If I was part of the vast array of coaches employed by THFC - I might organise some training sessions based on corners and free kicks (and send VDV and Bale home early)

We do. Get those cardboard cutouts back on the training pitch.

Dropping points yesterday could be a kick up the backside we need ahead of next Sunday. Going there over-confident with the media really bigging us up, could have back-fired. I'm clinging to the hope that we go there next Sunday feeling aggreived over yesterday and really put in a sterling performance and come away with something

We do. Get those cardboard cutouts back on the training pitch.

Dropping points yesterday could be a kick up the backside we need ahead of next Sunday. Going there over-confident with the media really bigging us up, could have back-fired. I'm clinging to the hope that we go there next Sunday feeling aggreived over yesterday and really put in a sterling performance and come away with something

If you are trying to suggest that the team as a whole didn't try, or put in a lacklustre poerformance because they thought they would simply blow Wolves away, then I think you are talking rubbish.
The idea that they would have shown up in Manchester believing the babble in the press is laughable. The difference is simple, at City we will be playing a team that will be trying to win, not defend at all costs to keep the point they start with and hopefully nick a win. They will come at us and we will get a game suited to our playing style and talent in the team. The motivation to win, and win well is simple - the 1-5 drubbing we took at the start of the season.

Mind you, that was how they played the same fixture last year.........

Been debating with a couple of people on here regarding Dawson. I dont think he is brick but his ability and strengths are suited to certain teams. Gallas against Stoke couldnt handle their physical strength but Dawson may have as his strengths are more suited.

Also I was watching Soccer Saturday where they think Dawson is better than Cahill and actually a very good defender. These are ex pros.

I agree with this. It's horses for courses. I would much rather see Dawson in when we are playing Stoke or their like. Aerially Dawson is superb and so this plays to his strengths. You do also have to remember he has been out for a long time and must be a little rusty. The team has developed a more fluid playing style this season (dare I say Arsenal like) and he has not been around for a lot of it. He does like a 50 yard pass every now and then, but he'll get with the style of play soon.

Sell him? You're having a laugh.

Last edited:
Wasn't yesterday Dawson's 3rd game in 7 days?

Only 1 change from Wednesday yesterday, (Parker for Livermore).

I think it might have been a good move to rotate a bit more yesterday.

Wasn't yesterday Dawson's 3rd game in 7 days?

Only 1 change from Wednesday yesterday, (Parker for Livermore).

I think it might have been a good move to rotate a bit more yesterday.

Me too, putting out an unexpected team might have drawn them out a bit more and opened them up to be more adventurous.

If you are trying to suggest that the team as a whole didn't try, or put in a lacklustre poerformance because they thought they would simply blow Wolves away, then I think you are talking rubbish.
The idea that they would have shown up in Manchester believing the babble in the press is laughable. The difference is simple, at City we will be playing a team that will be trying to win, not defend at all costs to keep the point they start with and hopefully nick a win. They will come at us and we will get a game suited to our playing style and talent in the team. The motivation to win, and win well is simple - the 1-5 drubbing we took at the start of the season.

Mind you, that was how they played the same fixture last year.........

Not suggesting they didnt try Mick, far from it.

It just feels like every time after one of the players bigs us up in the press (VDV this week), we seem to falter in the next game. We dont seem to be a team that does over-confident.
What I'm trying to cobey, unsuccessfully by the looks of it, that there may be a silver lining to yesterdays cloud, and that the dropping of 2 pts, may give them extra incentive next weekend.

But you cant deny that players do start to believe the hype in the press at times, granted not all of them, but I'm convinced some of them do, its only natural I suppose

Dawson is a better defender than either Samba or Cahill, who many on here are desperate for us to sign

In my opinion he isn't. I think Dawson is a more put your body on the line player but I don't think he's a better defender than either. I'd say he was pretty much on par with Cahill who I don't even rate that much. Samba is better than both though. Positioning wise, he's head and shoulders above all three, like Cahill, they both like to play football from the back too.

Harry doesnt like to roatate though, he couldve brought on Niko too as the guy can be a game changer...

Sticks to his best 11 and hardly varies it...

Dawson is a better defender than either Samba or Cahill, who many on here are desperate for us to sign

I disagree. Dawson is a committed, physically strong player who is useful for the squad. I really don't rate Cahil from what I have seen of him (might just be he's having a bad year) but Samba is better than Dawson imo. As for desperation, I am sure we are all desperate for success.

Not suggesting they didnt try Mick, far from it.

It just feels like every time after one of the players bigs us up in the press (VDV this week), we seem to falter in the next game. We dont seem to be a team that does over-confident.
What I'm trying to cobey, unsuccessfully by the looks of it, that there may be a silver lining to yesterdays cloud, and that the dropping of 2 pts, may give them extra incentive next weekend.

But you cant deny that players do start to believe the hype in the press at times, granted not all of them, but I'm convinced some of them do, its only natural I suppose

I think that HR and JJ are a little too long in the tooth and canny to allow that kind of thinking or mentality. As someone said, with the likes of WBA, Everton and Wolves it was inevitable that eventually one of them would get what they came for, and I guess you could throw sunderland into that as well. From those 4 games we pulled 10 from 12 points, not too shabby really....

I think that HR and JJ are a little too long in the tooth and canny to allow that kind of thinking or mentality. As someone said, with the likes of WBA, Everton and Wolves it was inevitable that eventually one of them would get what they came for, and I guess you could throw sunderland into that as well. From those 4 games we pulled 10 from 12 points, not too shabby really....

Not at all. Have a feeling with still having Wigan,Swansea,Norwich,Blackburn and Fulham to come at home, one of them will frustrate us too. Saying that, if we were to pick up 20pts from our last 8 home games I'll be over the moon.
Would certainly take the pressure off some of the tough away games. I reckon we would be very unlucky not to finish 3rd with 75pts meaning 9 pts from the 9 away games. Doable for sure

Am not too gutted about yesterday however Harry needs to work out a way of over-coming situations like yesterday and work out what to do after an hour when we're still level against a team which has come for a point. Its going to come up time and time again as more teams come for a point - if you get a goal early it becomes easy however the longer it stays level the more teh opposition gain belief. Yesterday we didnt seem to ahve a plan B and the subs, Rose for Benny and Defoe for Lennon, didnt give me any belief whatsoever that we would be able to open them up. THis situation will come up again and again if we progress so we need to develop an answer.

Personally, the way I saw it yesterday was this. After an hour they were still play 1 up top so we didnt need to more than 2 defs - Daws and Kaboul could easily handle Fletcher. I also didnt see the need of keeping Benny or another left back on which would have lead me to putting Bale as a having this as the base of the team:

----------------------Freidel---------
------------Daws--------------Kaboul---

-Walker------------------------------------Bale
-------------Modric-----------Parker

Had we had another CM available on the bench and a forward who has some sort of movement then taking off Lennon and Benny would have enabled us to make subs to give us this sort of shape:

----------------------Freidel---------
------------Daws--------------Kaboul---

-Walker------------------------------------Bale
---------Modric-------Parker--------[Thudd]-------------

-----------[AN Other]-------------VdV-------------
-----------------------Adebayor---------------------

What I think that would mean is that we still have width through attacking full backs/wing backs and we would have had a solid base through three CMs which would mean that we dominate the game. What we lack however is a forward with movement and ability to run into gaps beweetn CBs and FBs - Defoe and Pav dont offer that. That sort of player would mean that taking of Lennon would still mean that we have a threat in behind teams.

Coming back to yesterday, rather than bringing on Rose, bringing on NK in midfield alongside Parker and Modric would ahve given us a lot more creativity and chance of opening them up. Rose and Defoe coming up didnt really seem to be the answer to opening up a tight defence. If you go back a few years, fergie was a master at this sort of situation and would take off defenders and throw attackers on and more often than not they would seem to succeed. For us to make the next step forward, I think thats an ability which Harry needs to develop, whether through tactics or through bringing in other players in Jan to have some variety on the bench

The wolves game would have been the perfect opportunity to give bale a rest, niko always plays better when he starts and he deserves game time for his commitment to the club. should have given bale a 20 minute cameo against tired defenders, he would have tore them apart.

Back