• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official 'How do you stop Emirates Marketing Project?!?!' OMT ***

So what went wrong aside from the obvious?

For me our use of the ball in the first 30 mins was appalling. Yes we were pressed high up the pitch and pressed well, but that's twice now we have been humiliated at home by teams who press us high.

We were absolutely shambolic with the ball and we looked petrified of them.

Why's it all doom and gloom in here?? Not just replying to you Diego...

Yes for the first 30 minutes it was mostly City... but were we all really expecting to dominate play against the best side we'll likely face all year? City's first was well deserved. Credit to them. They were creating quality chances. Lloris made a heck of a save to keep it to 1-0, but he's France's number 1, isn't that what he's in the team for?

The fact of the matter is that it was 1-0 in the 36th minute when Dawson's goal was incorrectly disallowed. It's not like we don't have sufficient proof of the linesman's error. Should have been 1-1 plain and simple. Not even City fans can rightly argue that.

Now up to that point, at 1-1 in the 37th minute (which should have been reality apart from a linesman's error), who on this board would have called our performance dreadful? Extend that to 1-1 at the half and I'll ask the same question.

It's not like we were absolutely stagnant in attack in the first half either. We were causing some frustration for City especially after the disallowed goal. We started to get stuck in after that and City started picking up yellows in a short period of time. 3 in about 10 minutes before the half if I recall correctly. Momentum was beginning to swing our way, and we all know it doesn't take much for Ade to put one in given the current run of form he's on.

Move to the 2nd half...

50 minutes in and Danny Rose makes an excellent tackle to keep it to 1-0 (reminder.... should've been 1-1 at that point if not for the linesman's error).

Instead of a corner to City, and possibility of a counter, the linesman decides to wave his flag around like an idiot. Now we have HD, slow motion camera's showing the tackle on the ball and not the man. Again, the linesman made an error. Result: Red Card, Danny Rose. We're now down 2 goals and to 10 men against one of the best sides in Europe. Game effectively, over.

Now I say all this to point out the fact that at 50 minutes into the game, we should have been looking at 1-1 and everything to play for. Timmy's team selection (which many are ripping) had us in the game with it all to play for. Sure we gave up quite a few chances... They're averaging almost 3 goals a game AWAY from home. People are acting like we were playing an MLS side.

Say what you like about Bentaleb not being the right decision, and that maybe Capoue would have been a better choice, I might even agree somewhat. For me Bentaleb and Dembele did all they could be asked in the first half and were exactly what we needed against a City team that presses so well and doesn't allow a poor first touch in the middle of the park. Put Sandro or Capoue in there for Bentaleb and our lack of possession in the first 30 might have been even worse. Maybe a 4-3-3 with Dembele - Capoue - Bentaleb would have been better with Eriksen and Lennon playing wide of Ade. That's a totally different conversation.

The fact of the matter is that we were hard done tonight. Our player's weren't awful. Tim's team selection wasn't awful. Our reaction to their first goal wasn't awful. If anything I thought we performed well given the way we set out to take the game to them.

Terrible linesmen decisions led to a terrible scoreline. It's as simple as that.

Emirates Marketing Project scored after what 14 seconds? It was a shocker from there and at home they have beaten many sides like that anyway. Sandro didn't look fit to me as well - didn't he puke on the pitch??

Verts was exposed at LB by the pace of Navas and he had no help from Lamela (crazy to start him on the left imo). Kaboul and Dawsin are usually Laurel and Hardy when apsied together. Many many other issues aoart from a DM playing (who was not fit imo).

City were far more ruthless that day as well.

Liverpool. No pace in the CB pairing. Sandro again unfit in front of them. Paulinho and Dembele are NOT strictly DMs...it's why West Ham kept running through us after they went a goal up. And Hull in the CC game.

Today we at least had the option of using a CM but didn't feel the need to use him:~

So, from the above you are saying that AVB made many many tactical and selection issues in those games?

Funny, I always thought you felt he was infallible, no?

The goal was correctly disallowed, just disallowed for the wrong player.

The lineman confirmed that he gave it for offside against Dawson. Therefore, incorrect decision.

Graham Poll confirmed he got both decisions wrong. See post 871.

Last edited:
The lineman confirmed that he gave it for offside against Dawson. Therefore, incorrect decision.

Graham Poll confirmed he got both decisions wrong. See post 871.

That's what I said - wrong player.

It's ok to say the linesman should have made the correct decision (offside against Ade) but you can't ask for him to get it wrong in a different way just because it suits us.

P430_zps368d2be0.png

That's what I said - wrong player.

It's ok to say the linesman should have made the correct decision (offside against Ade) but you can't ask for him to get it wrong in a different way just because it suits us.

So you are intent on arguing this point even though one of our most experienced referees with all the benefit of technology, said the goal should have stood?

So you are intent on arguing this point even though one of our most experienced referees with all the benefit of technology, said the goal should have stood?

He said the linesman was wrong to flag Dawson offside. Ade is clearly interfering with play, and if the linesman gets it right is offside.

****ing livid after that embarrassment.

Whole team were complete ****pots in that first half hour. Were utterly frightened whenever a City player came close to them, decided they may as well be kind and just give them the ball back. Nothing works me up more than that.

A decent last 15 in the first half but only really decent, we didn't create an actual chance from open play.

Second half was all kinds of bad. Not one player did well except Hugo. Hang your head in shame boys.

Obviously the linesman affected the game. At the time I was well angry cos I thought the disallowed goal should have stood. Seen the replay since though and it does look to graze Adebayor's head on the way through to Daws. Penalty decision an absolute joke mind you, was so clear he took the ball and the player was taken out after but only due to momentum and didn't affect the movement of the ball whatsoever. Was always going to be tough after that but based on what I had seen I doubt we would have done much regardless.

Game actually panned out almost identical to the Liverpool one. Top striker slots it in the same bottom corner to make it 0-1 > they continue to dominate > Spurs have a goal disallowed > we have a player sent off (unlike Paulinho, Rose 100% shouldn't have been) > they run riot even more than they were.

Incredibly frustrating I gotta say. Morale may well be diminished after that, it could well be one thumping too many. Hull (a), Everton (h) and Saudi Sportswashing Machine (a) is a difficult run to respond with too.

GRRRRRRRR. HATE CITY

He said the linesman was wrong to flag Dawson offside. Ade is clearly interfering with play, and if the linesman gets it right is offside.

I agree with this, although let's add one more possible scenario, Ade may have touched the ball, if so, where was Daws when Ade did so?

beaten by a very good side. don't know what the problem is. just need to accept that. yes. scoreline was flattering. some questionable decisions from the linesman. but let's be honest, besides having better players, city's movement, passing and work rate were excellent. at one point, Ade picked up the ball in our own half and was immediately surrounded by five, yes, five city players. 100+ goals now. that level of football is something to aspire to i suppose but whether that is a realistic ambition without having the financial clout is doubtful..

Fair play SWP.

Your team are going to win the league this year.

Cheers buddy, first half was very entertaining, but the second wasn't after the liner's horrorshow. Unfortunately, I can see the FA rejecting any appeal against Rose, they have to stick by the officials at the moment. Hopefully this might force you to go after Coentrao and take him off United though!

That was horrible to watch, though it panned out pretty much as I expected if I'm honest.

I thought we were unlucky to have the goal disallowed. Note: I'm not saying by the laws of the game the goal should have stood (replays seem to show that Ade was offside and the ball grazed him on the way to Dawson). I'm just saying that by incorrectly calling Dawson offside, we were unlucky. It was such a narrow call that a luckier team would have been credited with the goal.

The sending off was a joke though. I'm not saying we'd have picked up a point or three if Rose had stayed on the field, but it's still very annoying to see a linesman make such a howler.

Even more annoying is how often we gave away possession and then seemed totally unable to pressurise City when they were on the ball. Even when we had eleven on the pitch it was like amateur hour for long periods of the first half. As my Dad said after the match, he was just surprised City hadn't scored five by half-time, let alone in the 90 minutes.

Close to the end of the second half Mrs DublinSpur asked me "why are these teams so much better than us?" And I just didn't have an answer. Yeah, City are the best team in the league this year on paper... but 11-1 over two games? Seriously? Are they that much better than us?

I was never a huge fan of Sherwood as a player. He didn't seem like a proper Spurs player to me at the time, but I appreciated how he always gave 100% on the pitch. And I have been very impressed with the way he's started as Spurs manager. We've been playing attractive football (well, more attractive than AVB at any rate) under Sherwood and we've been getting results. But he was badly exposed today, and I imagine the team will take a serious knock to their confidence. The next few games will make or break him as Spurs manager. I hope he recovers and genuinely uses this as a learning experience; I want to see every Spurs manager succeed.

But I'm concerned that we could go into free-fall. And if that happens then we can wave goodbye to a handful of our best players next summer. And once again, Spurs fans will have witnessed another in a long line of false dawns.

beaten by a very good side. don't know what the problem is. just need to accept that. yes. scoreline was flattering. some questionable decisions from the linesman. but let's be honest, besides having better players, city's movement, passing and work rate were excellent. at one point, Ade picked up the ball in our own half and was immediately surrounded by five, yes, five city players. 100+ goals now. that level of football is something to aspire to i suppose but whether that is a realistic ambition without having the financial clout is doubtful..

The commitment of champions. We need to find it.

100+ goals in all comps, not prem.
As much as I hate to say it, our result, I believe, will be the last time the scum will be top. Every cloud and all that.

coys

Cheers buddy, first half was very entertaining, but the second wasn't after the liner's horrorshow. Unfortunately, I can see the FA rejecting any appeal against Rose, they have to stick by the officials at the moment. Hopefully this might force you to go after Coentrao and take him off United though!

:ross: =D>

Right now I'd take Christy Brown over Danny Rose. And I have to say, I said similar after he was sent-off (silver linings, etc)...

It was very frustrating not so much the result but the effort especially in the first 30 minutes. Emirates Marketing Project were exceptional let's give credit where it is due but we made it very easy for them. Unfortunate part is just when we looked to be getting a foot hold the linesmen twice stung us, My heart says could have been different result but my head says Emirates Marketing Project were just too good for us.

Not too worried though we played the oil money all stars let's regroup and get a result at Hull onwards and upwards

All those saying 'we don't need to play a DM' no doubt think we should sell Sandro and Capoue and use the money to buy a LB and another striker.
I look forward to similar comments if we aren't able to play a DM against other top sides later this season.

Said my peace and can't be arsed to argue a VERY BASIC point anyway.

Let's hope we beat Hull to at least let the possibly forlorn hope continue

Who are all these people and what is it that they have actually said?

Have you watched the game yet?

Back