• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

WARNING...DONT READ IF YOUR BORED WITH READING ABOUT WEIGHTLIFTING!!!!!!
or if you think I am a 'c u next tuesday, or if your not millsy;)

just finished my third and final workout for the week....a mixture of high's and lows, got the 100kg squat done on Wednesday for 5x5, man was it bloody torture! felt like I was pushing up against a concrete ceiling, let out some raging animal noises on the last reps....talk about time under tension at one point my whole lower chain seized up but I managed to get up there....failed the 102.5kg tonight but didnt feel 100% going into the session.

Getting a bit frustrated with military press....failed twice at 50kg...first time(week before) I missed the last rep on the very last set, on wednesday failed on the the last rep in the third set and downhill from there....mega disappointed with this....Had some joy with Bench press though got 60kg done 5x5 and also deadlifted 117.5kg tonight although that took all the wind out my sails....could bearly muster up the energy to tidy up the garage after as I normally do, putting the weight plates away.

Feel absolutely fooked after this week.

few questions Millsy..... between sets on squats I am good to go again after three mins but with the Press & Bench press I need about 6 mins to go again....is this normal???? Is there anything I can do between sets to help me go again...other than listening to music and making myself angry? :)

And regarding intermediate programs (gonna carry on with the 5x5 still for a bit, deloading is part of the program right?? if you fail a weight 3 times?) what program would you recommend???? I would prioritise strength over a programme for just looking buff I guess.
Eating habits I am trying to bulk.....

sorry that was a bit long winded.

Don't really know if that's normal or not. Squat uses larger musculature than bench and press, maybe they recover more quickly, who knows! Wouldn't worry about it though unless its really bothering you.

I find press is a strange lift in that you don't really see the fail coming, with squat and deadlift you tend to think 'fudge that was tough, I'm not sure if I can go heavier next workout' but with the press I'll feel great then throw another 2.5kg on and it all goes to brick.

Deloading is indeed part of the program, repeatedly deloading up to the same weight doesn't really get you anywhere though. The reason this is happening is because you are now lifting heavy enough that the time between your Monday workout and your Wednesday workout isn't sufficient for you to recover enough to move a heavier weight on the Wednesday. There are plenty of ways to push through this but basically you need to manipulate your volume/intensity or eating to allow you to recover better and squeeze out the last few drops of your linear progression before moving to another program.

For example on a Wednesday you could have a light squat day where you'd do 3 x 5 at about 70%-80% the weight you lifted on the Monday. Then add weight on your Friday workout. You could manipulate this further by making the increasing the weight by less than 2.5kg (you'll probably need to buy some 0.5kg plates). With press on your next deload work up in smaller increments and continue in smaller increases past the 50 you were stuck at before. And eat more. Eat alot more. After that look at going 3 x 5 or even eventually 3 x 3 to squeez out the last bits of progress. Oh, and eat more (did I say eat more?)

First thing I'd probably do is deload on the lifts you are stuck on, eat more, then move back up at a normal rate see where that takes you. Then try and employ some of the stuff above. Another useful thing for upper body lifts is back off sets where you'd do 1 - 2 sets of 50kg then the rest at 40-45kg.

A 50kg press for 5 x 5 at your height and weight is good going by the way, so I wouldn't be too tinkled off. As a 1RM you're not far of a body weight press!

As regards changing programs to something more intermediate, there are a million different things you can do, but it depends totally on your goals. Someone wanting to be a competitive powerlifter would train in an entirely different fashion than someone who wants to be stronger for general health and fitness.

Last edited:
Don't really know if that's normal or not. Squat uses larger musculature than bench and press, maybe they recover more quickly, who knows! Wouldn't worry about it though unless its really bothering you.

I find press is a strange lift in that you don't really see the fail coming, with squat and deadlift you tend to think 'fudge that was tough, I'm not sure if I can go heavier next workout' but with the press I'll feel great then throw another 2.5kg on and it all goes to crud.

Deloading is indeed part of the program, repeatedly deloading up to the same weight doesn't really get you anywhere though. The reason this is happening is because you are now lifting heavy enough that the time between your Monday workout and your Wednesday workout isn't sufficient for you to recover enough to move a heavier weight on the Wednesday. There are plenty of ways to push through this but basically you need to manipulate your volume/intensity or eating to allow you to recover better and squeeze out the last few drops of your linear progression before moving to another program.

For example on a Wednesday you could have a light squat day where you'd do 3 x 5 at about 70%-80% the weight you lifted on the Monday. Then add weight on your Friday workout. You could manipulate this further by making the increasing the weight by less than 2.5kg (you'll probably need to buy some 0.5kg plates). With press on your next deload work up in smaller increments and continue in smaller increases past the 50 you were stuck at before. And eat more. Eat alot more. After that look at going 3 x 5 or even eventually 3 x 3 to squeez out the last bits of progress. Oh, and eat more (did I say eat more?)

First thing I'd probably do is deload on the lifts you are stuck on, eat more, then move back up at a normal rate see where that takes you. Then try and employ some of the stuff above. Another useful thing for upper body lifts is back off sets where you'd do 1 - 2 sets of 50kg then the rest at 40-45kg.

A 50kg press for 5 x 5 at your height and weight is good going by the way, so I wouldn't be too tinkleed off. As a 1RM you're not far of a body weight press!

As regards changing programs to something more intermediate, there are a million different things you can do, but it depends totally on your goals. Someone wanting to be a competitive powerlifter would train in an entirely different fashion than someone who wants to be stronger for general health and fitness.

Thanks for all that dude...much appreciated.

Thanks for all that dude...much appreciated.

Following up on Millsy .. rest/recovery/intake is important

- Light day helps, personally found strict 5x5 programs generally left me always going into next program fatigued
- Press/Bench don't go up as linear as Squats, you might want to consider doing pushups/pullups as alternatives (on light day?) that will help you.

Re changing programs .. tweak a little first, maybe throw in a fun day (light/something totally different), but these things take time, consistency wins this race.

Following up on Millsy .. rest/recovery/intake is important

- Light day helps, personally found strict 5x5 programs generally left me always going into next program fatigued
- Press/Bench don't go up as linear as Squats, you might want to consider doing pushups/pullups as alternatives (on light day?) that will help you.

Re changing programs .. tweak a little first, maybe throw in a fun day (light/something totally different), but these things take time, consistency wins this race.

Thanks...yeah thinking of devising myself a new programme...4 weeks broken down to 2 weeks mass 1 week strength 1 week muscle endurance.

Ta for the advice.

Thanks...yeah thinking of devising myself a new programme...4 weeks broken down to 2 weeks mass 1 week strength 1 week muscle endurance.

Ta for the advice.

My advice would be pick a well thought of intermediate program (Texas method, 5/3/1, HLM etc) and run that for a while before writing your own, you can alter slightly to cater more towards your specific goals. Writing your own program from scratch isn't easy.

How's everyone's program going?

fudging went on a week holiday (went to see Spurs in Denver), came back, missed a few days with work catchup.

2nd session back, did squats, deadlifts and kettlebell swings (superset swings with pushups), feel completely wrecked day after ... Christ ..

so I'm using an app/service called Habitica to set some healthy habits for myself. Here they are;

• 8,000 steps a day - as tracked by my wristband
  • 10,000 steps a day - bonus points
  • Pull ups/Push Ups - got a couple of apps that increase the reps as you get better.
  • Scales - weigh myself regularily (just got myself a smart scale, so can track weight changes)
  • Burpees - Want to do the Burpee Challenge (1 burpee on day 1, building up to 30 on day 30) Will start on September 1st.
  • Scottish Shower - Have a nice warm shower and cut off the hot water for the last minute or so, supposed to get heart rate going etc.
  • No fizzy drinks - been drinking coke daily for last couple of months, this needs to stop.
  • Sober - Have a night off the booze
  • No Red Meat - Supposedly better for you.
  • Morning Pint (of water) - Drink a pint of water in the morning before consuming anything else.
  • Take ZMA - A supplement that supposedly helps you get more deep sleep.
  • Vitamin D - Not yet, but I'll start again in the winter.

Because Habitica is like a game, you lose health by failing to complete habits and level up when you succeed, not all of the habits have to be completed every single day. I can also pause the game when I know I'll be unable to complete tasks (I've got Reading Festival this weekend) Most of the habits don't require too much willpower.

Have any of you got some healthy habits that I should consider adding?

Starting next month I want to find myself a martial arts class to go to at least once a week and maybe a dance class. I will look at what local swimming options I have too.

Have any of you got any experience with intermittent fasting?

so I'm using an app/service called Habitica to set some healthy habits for myself. Here they are;

• 8,000 steps a day - as tracked by my wristband
  • 10,000 steps a day - bonus points
  • Pull ups/Push Ups - got a couple of apps that increase the reps as you get better.
  • Scales - weigh myself regularily (just got myself a smart scale, so can track weight changes)
  • Burpees - Want to do the Burpee Challenge (1 burpee on day 1, building up to 30 on day 30) Will start on September 1st.
  • Scottish Shower - Have a nice warm shower and cut off the hot water for the last minute or so, supposed to get heart rate going etc.
  • No fizzy drinks - been drinking coke daily for last couple of months, this needs to stop.
  • Sober - Have a night off the booze
  • No Red Meat - Supposedly better for you.
  • Morning Pint (of water) - Drink a pint of water in the morning before consuming anything else.
  • Take ZMA - A supplement that supposedly helps you get more deep sleep.
  • Vitamin D - Not yet, but I'll start again in the winter.

Because Habitica is like a game, you lose health by failing to complete habits and level up when you succeed, not all of the habits have to be completed every single day. I can also pause the game when I know I'll be unable to complete tasks (I've got Reading Festival this weekend) Most of the habits don't require too much willpower.

Have any of you got some healthy habits that I should consider adding?

Starting next month I want to find myself a martial arts class to go to at least once a week and maybe a dance class. I will look at what local swimming options I have too.

Have any of you got any experience with intermittent fasting?

For health reasons or weightloss?

For health reasons or weightloss?

Health reasons I'd say. I'm just trying to get myself into a healthy place which hopefully will result in being trimmer.

I understand there's a scientific idea that you need to keep your body moving more and sitting too much is killing you etc. Doing x steps during the day before doing my pull ups or burpees etc is far better than being a slob all day before doing my pull ups.

Also, I had a slobby lazy day yesterday and only did about 900 steps by 2 or 3pm. Had to run 4 miles to make up for it, so a lot of steps are coming through running.

Are there any faults in my logic? should I use my wristband differently?

Health reasons I'd say. I'm just trying to get myself into a healthy place which hopefully will result in being trimmer.

I understand there's a scientific idea that you need to keep your body moving more and sitting too much is killing you etc. Doing x steps during the day before doing my pull ups or burpees etc is far better than being a slob all day before doing my pull ups.

Also, I had a slobby lazy day yesterday and only did about 900 steps by 2 or 3pm. Had to run 4 miles to make up for it, so a lot of steps are coming through running.

Are there any faults in my logic? should I use my wristband differently?

What I meant by health reasons was that some people think that intemitent fasting has some benifits in reducing inflammation in the digestive tract. Is this what you meant? Or do you just mean that by doing intermitent fasting you'll lose weight and therefore be healthier?

I don't know much about the inflammation health benifits, but from a weight loss perspective intermittent fasting has no benifit over a calorie control diet other than complience in people who aren't particularly disciplined. Same with atkin's and all the others.

I've got no idea about the steps wristband thing, not something I have any experience with.

What I meant by health reasons was that some people think that intemitent fasting has some benifits in reducing inflammation in the digestive tract. Is this what you meant? Or do you just mean that by doing intermitent fasting you'll lose weight and therefore be healthier?

I don't know much about the inflammation health benifits, but from a weight loss perspective intermittent fasting has no benifit over a calorie control diet other than complience in people who aren't particularly disciplined. Same with atkin's and all the others.

I've got no idea about the steps wristband thing, not something I have any experience with.

Ahh, I saw the quote preview of my original post and saw that the steps were highlighted so figured you were talking about that, but was my own formatting.

I think I read somewhere that intermittent fasting can change your metabolism and turn on fat burning mode? Although if I had a dollar for every time I read that a product/diet will turn on fat burning mode I'd be a millionaire .

Ahh, I saw the quote preview of my original post and saw that the steps were highlighted so figured you were talking about that, but was my own formatting.

I think I read somewhere that intermittent fasting can change your metabolism and turn on fat burning mode? Although if I had a dollar for every time I read that a product/diet will turn on fat burning mode I'd be a millionaire .

There's no such thing as a 'fat burning mode'. There are certain things you can do to improve nutrient partitioning and you can create an environment where your body is less likely to store excess calories as fat, but these are mostly a function of the type of training you do.

Intermittent fasting, atkin's, paleo etc from strictly a weight loss perspective, are just a way of giving a set of rules which result in daily calorie restrictions to people who know nothing about nutrition. Some bloke who eats potatoes and bread with every meal goes on the atkin's diet and therefore immediated cuts a massive chunk out of his daily caloric intake. He loses weight. Because he know's nothing about nutrition, he attributes this weight loss to 'not eating carbs' and therefore concludes it's 'carbs make you fat', which is totally incorrect. Intermittent fasting is the same, you can only eat during a certain period in the day, so it's difficult for someone who is not very disciplined to regularly over eat.

Someone who needs to eat 2,000 calories a day to lose 1lb per week will lose 1lb per week whether they eat those 2,000 calories over the course of the day or in a 4 hour window.

After injuring my back I haven't been able to train much recently. I managed to get back on the weights last week and do some full body workouts. I'm going to get back on the split workout this week. I'm at SW4 this weekend but after that I'm really going to cut down on beer.

So. ... has anyone got a proper 1 week / 1 month plan that does ... well... basically a bit of everything

Been lifting heavy and on a HIIT rowing gig at the minute, working a treat, body is changing shape nicely and although not losing weigh per say I am losing fat and inches around the body.

I have cut down my carb/sugar intake so to use body fat as energy, I do fall to the odd craving but these are days apart and now stick to a specific rules when eating/drinking.

Found the thread!

Didn't want to start a new one but I have a dedicated gym in my garage and have just bought a hanging punch bag.

Quick question, if the punch bag isn't heavy enough can I add some kg to it in form of actual metal weights? If I did obviously I would need to make sure they are up the top or hidden in the middle so I don't punch them but just wondering if anyone had done this before or had experience with punch bags. Also any tips about using it, putting it up and exercises would be much appreciated.

Had my first session with my own personal trainer at a gym in Brighton.

Am making quite big changes in my lifestyle at the moment and will be working out 4 days a week in a gym and doing yoga 3 days a week in classes. My gym work will be a lot of strength work as I have to build up muscle on my left side.

Also doing a big change in diet, tried to cut sugar out in the past but this time as it is health led I think it will be easier. Got to try sleeping more regular hours, talking with doctors I never realised before how important sleep was.

Anyway I am going to be hench I think is what the trainer called it, in 3 months I intend to be a lot bigger then I have ever been in my life and I am not exactly a small guy anyway.

Started at gym properly couple of months ago. I've had 20 personal training sessions & seen good changed. But now I'm at the end of the booked sessions, can anyone recommend a good plan to follow? Which covers days for exercises, which exercises etc

Thanks in advance

Started at gym properly couple of months ago. I've had 20 personal training sessions & seen good changed. But now I'm at the end of the booked sessions, can anyone recommend a good plan to follow? Which covers days for exercises, which exercises etc

Thanks in advance
Er....isn't the trainer taking you for personal training sessions the best person to set you up?...bit weird that he hasn't.

Er....isn't the trainer taking you for personal training sessions the best person to set you up?...bit weird that he hasn't.

He guided me through different sets of exercises, but now that I've finished the 20 sessions, I know how to do the exercises but don't have a future plan. I don't know what days to do what exercises, and so it's all a bit disorganised. He's a great personal trainer, motivates me to work hard, and ensures that my form is good but I don't have the finances to keep paying for sessions.

Back